Feedback on FTB launcher

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

mercor

Jul 29, 2019
So I have tried to use FTB launcher over Twitch one, but I keep running to the same issues all over again, updates have not made any changes.

Ok, so my first problem is, that if I go to modpacks browse, then it only displays selected mods, In browse mode I would expect to see the whole list. How would I know that you even have FTB interactions, if it is not shown in the list there, only after searching it by name it starts to show something. There is 70% empty screen estate. In featured part shows only 5 packs, Top installs and Top plays 9 packs. Why isn't there "All modpacks" part where I could just look at all the packs?
That seems like an artificial limit put on how many packs can be shown at once.

Other issue I have is that modpack versions do not have date of version released somewhere. From no dates I cannot be sure if it is modpack that is actually discontinued and updates being 2 years ago, or was it quite recent one and update only couple of weeks ago. According to that I would know if there is any point of sending any bug reports or not bother because of the common answer "it is too old modpack and no support" etc.

Settings... Why I cannot select Java version I want to launch? I can use custom arguments, but not Java instance to use?

There is some List option, but doesn't seem to change anything.

I know it goes kind of into "Steam vs Epic Games Launcher" category and that Twitch launcher is older or well curse launcher. Now that curseforge is joining to Overwolf community will it mean that those move into another launcher even, not sure, time will show. Just wanted to bring the parallel that I can understand that some things take time to develop and not everything can be from the get-go, but some of the limitations implemented in FTB launcher mean that hours have been put into development to actually limit app functionality, while leaving something like fetching list of modpacks unlimited would mean to show all at once was not left in. I do not think FTB has that many modpacks that fetching basic metadata like name, image and version would be too much load. Going into modpack details would get additional metadata that is more detailed.
Mod pack update dates might be something you are missing in the metadata, as it is nonexisting even on web page, but should be something that should be attached as soon as update is published.

I hope some of those annoyances will be fixed over time.