Feed The Beast - Redpower and 1.5.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowpoke

Administrator
Team Member
FTB Founder
Jul 29, 2019
For several weeks there has been a lot of speculation as to what is going to happen in 1.5 with regards to mods packs and mods. Most of the speculation has again revolved around Redpower 2 and whether or not it will be included. The reason that comments have been kept to a minimum is because essentially we didn't know and at that time we had not yet reached a point where the decision had to be made. However that time has passed and we are now at a point where a decision has to be made.

Over the last couple of weeks I have had many conversations with various people from members of the FTB team to mod developers and just watching threads to get a general feel for how the community feels. So today I want to end the speculation. For right now we will be staying on 1.4.7 as our recommended builds. This is as things stand likely to continue on till probably the 1.6 update from Mojang. We will be releasing a 1.5.x pack, although this pack will be added as a Private pack so people will need to add a password to have the pack show up on the launcher. Right now we plan to keep this as a Beta Pack and it will be loosely based on the Ultimate Pack. Redpower 2 will not be included in this pack as, as things stand we do not know when an update will appear. If during the 1.5.x period an update appears we can take another look at the situation and maybe add it in at a later date. However the pack will see some awesome new mods added in. including the revamped Mine Factory Reloaded, Tinkers Construct and others. We are recommending that this pack is only used on new worlds and I expect to release 2 versions of this pack. (1 with gregtech hard mode included and then another one that will either have gregtech totally disabled or more like with gregtech included but the configs switched out so that recipes from other mods remain in their original mode (aka easy mode)).

I know that there are a lot of people worried about the loss of features from Redpower, however I do not ever want to go back to a situation where an entire pack is left waiting on one mod and I am pretty sure Eloraam or any other modder would feel exactly the same. I also never want to create a situation where a developer feels they have to work harder or faster than they normally would in order to meet the demands of FTB. That is not the way it is meant to be. It is our job to work around them, not the other way around.

So lets talk about timetables. Right now we are going to be putting out (it may already be out by the time you read this) a final version of 1.4.7 Ultimate that includes the final versions of all 1.4.7 mods. This is essentially in the hopes that it clears up some final nasty little bugs that were lying around. Whether or not the DW20 and Mindcrack packs update is up to Direwolf and the mindcrack guys and I will be in touch with them to clarify what they want. (It should be noted both of these packs are considered stable, and the bugs we want to clear up in Ultimate dont affect either of these packs). The plan is to get a closed beta version of the 1.5 pack onto the launcher in the next couple of days and then assuming that everything goes OK and the mods are deemed stable, we hope to make these packs available to everyone either this monday (April 22) or the following Monday at the latest (April 29) It should be again made clear. These 1.5 packs are recommended to be used on a fresh world and there are no guarentees made to their compatibility beyond 1.5.x. Our understanding is that worlds should be compatible with 1.6, however it is to early to tell for sure.

Finally Version 2 of the FTB Launcher is scheduled to be released with the 1.6 update, however again this may be put back, it is a little to early to tell for sure. I hope this post goes some ways to answering some of the questions from the community at the moment.

Dominico

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the update Slow, all in all, I just hope Elo is ok IRL. Can't wait to update to 1.5.x and see what youz guys have up for the launcher updates (like the multiple instances idea for multiple configs ;) Keep it up !

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
Well that's just made my day, now I just need to find something to occupy myself for a week or two waiting for this, maybe I could try working instead of posting on these forums....

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the update. Nice to get it from the horse's mouth, as it were. I really hope that Eloraam updates RP2 eventually. If she doesn't then it was nice while it lasted.

Reactions: Lambert2191

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
Shame about redpower.. But we need to move on I think. I have been purposely not using it in my latest play through.. Even though the world gen still might cause issues.. I wonder what will happen If you update to 1.5 and the world gen stuff.... I do use the dam gems though... Rubies that is... Crap.

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
Shame about redpower.. But we need to move on I think. I have been purposely not using it in my latest play through.. Even though the world gen still might cause issues.. I wonder what will happen If you update to 1.5 and the world gen stuff.... I do use the dam gems though... Rubies that is... Crap.

At a guess you'd probably find the blocks would turn into something else possibly sandstone, but maybe something from another mod, it depends on the ID configs I guess.

kaboose87

Jul 29, 2019
I understand fully how RL stuff can get in the way, been insanly busy myself in the last 3 weeks. And thank you for the update slowpoke101 and rest of FTB team, cant wait to see the new launcher

sciguyryan

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the update. Nice to get it from the horse's mouth, as it were. I really hope that Eloraam updates RP2 eventually. If she doesn't then it was nice while it lasted.

To be fair it is probably more a case of when than if. But without a date to judge against there is no way it can be relied upon as the foundation for a pack. It isn't Elo's fault and I'm sure she herself would agree that the only sensible recourse is to offer updates without it. Look what happened to Tekkit. Nobody wants FTB to remain version locked for extended periods. If that happened it would quickly die out to user provided packs.

It is a sad thing but it really is the only choice that can be made here I think.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
This. Most likely will be for the best depending on the shenanigans that could be introduced in 1.6

Glad to get some official announcement.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
I think this is a perfect solution and I applaud the efforts of the FTB team. Lets face it. RP2 is deeply intergrated into the FTB system. Waiting through 1.6 makes a ton of sense and I have a feeling she will update everything eventually. Good news! I am really looking forward to getting the new NEI for 1.4.7 The 1.5.x pack i am also looking forward to because powersuits mod has made some changes and of course rednet cables are interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.