Feed The Beast Monster - Best Starting Power?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm.

Creosote + coal can easily fuel a tiny boiler. That'll give you the supplies you need to create steel as well. That will give you access to all TE processing.

Additionally, log -> charcoal via coke oven will give creosote + charcoal for EU production, giving you access to basic IC2.

This will also give you enough power to run 2-3 MFR harvester/planter + tree combo.

After this, you'll have enough logs to begin a larger solid fuel boiler. From here you should be sustained on energy and can then begin to project plan in excess, such that future projects can be integrated in easily, without worrying about sustainability.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Using a silver upgraded MFR tree farm (15x15 blocks), you get enough logs to power two 36HP boilers with charcoal without using any fertilizer. You will probably want to get automated tree farming sooner rather than later anyway, so I'd say that's a good start. Initially you just hook up 3 (or so) steam dynamos to power the tree farm and some furnace(s) for the charcoal. Then it's basically just some itemducts and you have constant, reliable and fully renewable power.

It's also convenient because it enables low cost, and fairly early game, teleportation of energy to quarries: Charcoal to steam dynamos placed at the quarry via ender chests.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
How many powered furnaces/electric furnaces do you have running full time to support 1, 36 HP boiler off charcoal converted from logs.

Also, I was looking into squeezing my logs for sap, for EU production. I don't really need EU in my current base, but it serves as a backup energy source/nano armour.

Aside from that I don't even need UU. This is why I am looking for less stringent EU production strategies.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
How many powered furnaces/electric furnaces do you have running full time to support 1, 36 HP boiler off charcoal converted from logs.

Also, I was looking into squeezing my logs for sap, for EU production. I don't really need EU in my current base, but it serves as a backup energy source/nano armour.

Aside from that I don't even need UU. This is why I am looking for less stringent EU production strategies.
With powered furnaces, you need more than two per 36 HP boiler. 3 is enough for 1 boiler, 5 is enough for 2 boilers, 7 is enough for 3 boilers (burning logs continuously). Not sure beyond that. Unfortunately this means that their efficiency has been more than halved compared to before the changes to warm-up fuel consumption.

For EU production, I would recommend power converters if you have them. You can limit the amount of RF it consume from the boilers by only adding a LV/MV/etc. EU producer and connecting it to a MFE/MFSU.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm.

Creosote + coal can easily fuel a tiny boiler. That'll give you the supplies you need to create steel as well. That will give you access to all TE processing.

Additionally, log -> charcoal via coke oven will give creosote + charcoal for EU production, giving you access to basic IC2.

This will also give you enough power to run 2-3 MFR harvester/planter + tree combo.

After this, you'll have enough logs to begin a larger solid fuel boiler. From here you should be sustained on energy and can then begin to project plan in excess, such that future projects can be integrated in easily, without worrying about sustainability.
You can do TE3 without steel, I do not think monster has that enabled (I never checked since I cannot run monster)

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
With powered furnaces, you need more than two per 36 HP boiler. 3 is enough for 1 boiler, 5 is enough for 2 boilers, 7 is enough for 3 boilers (burning logs continuously). Not sure beyond that. Unfortunately this means that their efficiency has been more than halved compared to before the changes to warm-up fuel consumption.

For EU production, I would recommend power converters if you have them. You can limit the amount of RF it consume from the boilers by only adding a LV/MV/etc. EU producer and connecting it to a MFE/MFSU.
I am just thinking about the automation process. I would probably have a level emitter on a router attached to a bank of powered furnaces. Set to something like if > 200 charcoal, stop sending logs. By doing that, I can gauge the long term effect on my log intake dynamic, and see if I can continue to produce more power from logs.

Well EU is just a matter of antics. I don't really need it to do anything other than power my electric TiCo tools & my nano armour. Aside from that I don't have a need for EU this time around. It just would be nice to have a somewhat robust system that stores maybe 1-2 MFSU's worth of EU for whenever I need it, without taking too much out of my MJ production system, since the MJ -> laser drill is much more efficient than MJ -> EU -> laser drill.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
Instead of making a stream dynamo I always go with the extra utilities survivalist generator. It doesn't produce very much but it runs for a very long time and is super efficient
try a culinary generator.
all you need for that is a moderate sized farm with something fast growing and/or gives multiple items per plant.
I run mine off wheat (monster lets me have a 1:1 ratio) and sweetcorn.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
If you have a river biome at hand, Engineer's Toolbox is probably the best source of early power. It's a little expensive on iron, but a dam of hydroelectric generators makes for a considerable amount of free power. You can add solar panels to the surface layer to make more power.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
In many sessions Ive started by building a coke oven with a hopper and some kind of auto extraction asap. But if you are lucky enough to spawn near oil, its easy to grab a few buckets until you are ready. Oil is probably my favorite power source.

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
I think monster still has IC2? if so, then a single induction furnace will easily supply all your charcoal needs. Power your tree farm with EU using a several generators running off the charcoal from the induction furnace. Put the extra charcoal in a BIG chest or DSU.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I find that the Steam Oven from Railcraft does the job well enough. It produces a surplus as long as you have enough wood coming in.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Extra utilities Redstone generator.. Uses lava and redstone. Its not THAT early game.. But after the first half hour you should be able to get your hands on some redstone and lava.. And then comes the energy babyyy!! (RF)

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
Instead of making a stream dynamo I always go with the extra utilities survivalist generator. It doesn't produce very much but it runs for a very long time and is super efficient
I started with a steam dynamo, but now I'm wishing I'd made a survivalist generator and then later upgraded it to a culinary; the survivalist may be slow, but it runs for literal hours (over 4 hours!) on a single block of coal, giving you far more total energy than a copper dynamo for the same fuel (I'm powering a lava producer from a survivalist so I can make obsidian in an igneous extruder instead of mining it; I don't use a whole lot anyway). I also discovered that you can place a comparator on Extra Utils generators (as well as TE's energy cells) to output a redstone signal based on how full the energy buffer is. Combine that with a Buildcraft gate on a wooden pipe or TE itemduct with a pneumatic servo in, and you can automatically pump in fuel when your stored energy gets low and shut it off when there's a bit of power available.

I learned the comparator trick when I set up a cow farm to feed their offspring to a slaughterhouse and meat packer (so I could get pink slime for a laser drill). Later on I replaced that with a grinder so I could get their drops instead of meat ingots. The killing machine drops its output into a chest, which feeds the raw meat into a TE furnace, which then fills a barrel with its output, which feeds a culinary generator with a comparator on the side to make sure it doesn't waste any energy (plus a spare hardened energy cell that I had no other use for once I made a redstone cell). I even added a sewer under the breeding pen so I could collect the XP orbs from breeding (as mob essence), then ran a line from my grinder to the mob essence tank.

So basically thanks to a single culinary generator, I get plenty of food and leather every time I add a stack or two of wheat from my automatic wheat farm (which is running off my main base power instead).

I also have a culinary generator at a rebuilt zombie dungeon, powering a grinder there. That's the main way I fill up my mob essence drums, and the rotten flesh, carrots, and potatoes help extend the fuel I give that generator. (Rotten flesh, appropriately, gives you somewhat less energy than what it costs to power the grinder thanks to a somewhat low drop rate, and the others are rare drops.)

So yeah, definitely a strong vote for survivalist and/or culinary generator as a good early-game generator. If you get shears early and wouldn't mind finding or dyeing some pink sheep, a pink generator is also a reasonable choice for the early game, but I'd rather go with something that lasts forever or feeds on my usual early-game food surplus.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
The whole point of starting power is that it is starting power. It should be whatever is the most convenient to make and run that will provide enough of the right kind of power to run the machines you are ready it use. It all depends on which machines you want to use & how early in the game you want to start using them. I'm currently playing half of a DW20 pack, running primarily with TE & AE, with some MFR as I get settled. I may start with a coal powered dynamo to run a pulverizer just as fast as I can set it up. Alternatively I may set up a TiCo smeltery for early game ore doubling & carry a few buckets of lava. From there I go for TE magmatic dynamos as soon as I can get a pump going in the nether. Expanding the magmatics as necessary keeps me going well into mid to late game.

From what I've seen of Monster on youtube, harvesting a few rainbow trees & feeding the dyes into an MFR bioreactor/biofuel generator set-up may be an easy place to start.

SuperSplit

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like starting off with lava power is fairly easy... The only thing that is fairly hard for me to make is the steel tanks because I always max them out to their full size which Is kind of resource demanding...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk