Favorite way to start MJ

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zaekeon

Jul 29, 2019
So what is your favorite way to start and sustain MJ power?

I usually start with some crappy sterling engines until I can be a tree farm and fermenter for biomass from saplings, I then use biogas to power things until I can get my solid fueled boilers from sawmills + planks going...from there it's usually more boilers or other things...

zaekeon

Jul 29, 2019
Deployer milking cow to biogas? Can we still do this some othe way in 1.5 without red power?

Miguellos

Jul 29, 2019
I usually get a few redstone engines, a pump, several tank carts and go prospecting for oil. Bring the train back full of oil, get some combustion engines running on the raw oil and powering a refinery, then use the refined fuel for everything else.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
I'm starting with 2-3 stirling/peat-fired engines, to power my TE ore processing. Then i build MFR/IC2 charcoal farm, and feed with it my boilers, which are my main power supply for everything

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Charcoal into hobbyist engines. Those are rather efficient. Later on when I have the treefarm set up I build a boiler.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
In my last game I started with Redstone and Combustion engines. The Combustion engines were fed Oil manually by me and were later fed with Biofuel. The Redstone engines were mostly to build up a little power in storage while I went out mining/caving, I used the Combustion engines for most of my power though and they get things done insanely fast for a first/starting engine.

AliveGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Mostly hobbyist engines with charcoal, but next time may end up going for TE steam engines.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

Kealrath

Jul 29, 2019
Hoi,

usually, i start with hobbyiest steam engines. This engines are fed from some coke ovens, which are also produce creosete oil.( The GT semifluid generator can burn these oil for EU). When this is automated then i build up a LP Boiler powered by a tree farm(Multi or Steve Carts) and a bee powered Boiler (Refined Bee - store the Petroelum Combs for later -). Two pairs of Refined Bee's with good traits/stats can power atleast 1 HP and 1 LP Boiler.

Greetings,
Kealrath

RandomMoped

Popular Member
Nov 17, 2012
Somewhere on the internet
I honestly have no clue why anybody uses the hobbyist steam engines over the TE steam engines
My set up goes something like steam>magmatic>and if i'm not feeling lazy in that world combustion

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
My start off power is clockwork engine. Is it possible to automate a clockwork engine with turtles and such?

iconmaster

Jul 29, 2019
In the past, I usually set up with TE's magmatic engines. Lava power is both available early and powerful. However, the new Clokcwork Engines sound much superior for startup power.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone tried using Clockwork Engines until they can get Magmatics set up? Pretty interesting to say the least XD
I do, easiest beginner setup ever. No fuel(except for manpower), no water, no pipes, no levers, no hassle. Make 4-5, move them all to whichever machine needs power at the moment and get those magmatics, liquiducts and conduits ASAP.

After that it's easy breezy, tank, pump, ender tank and you're golden. Good enough to get bees and multifarms going. After that - same old same old, ethanol into boilers. The more the merrier. And start pumping that lava into centrifuges.

Everything else has been nerfed so bad that it's barely viable anymore (congratulations, modders)

Except for MFR biofuelline. That thing is sterling. I keep forgetting about it.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I usually use TE steam engines. Well, I used them the one time I started off using MJ instead of EU, and I did it all by hand. Fueled with charcoal IIRC, and fed water by a single bucket. I might have been using coal coke, which would likely be why I was going nuts trying to keep the water up high.
Now I'm going to use the clockwork engine. It's like the AE Quartz Grinder, and like the BTW hand crank, both of which are things I love.