Fastest way of moving water?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Archie Duffy

Jul 29, 2019
I need to know which is the fastest way of transporting liquids because soon I will be making a Big Reactors Turbine and I'm going to need a lot of water.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I need to know which is the fastest way of transporting liquids because soon I will be making a Big Reactors Turbine and I'm going to need a lot of water.
You really really want to do your self/your server owner a favour and reuse the water from the turbines. It produces a lot less lag. If you can, then placing the reactor and turbine directly adjacent to each other and aligning the coolant ports against each other will completely solve the problems of bandwidth and transfer. If you cant then just use Tesseracts to transfer the water back(just like you do with the steam, just the reversed direction). This way you only need to supply it with water during the initial startup, which can be done by a single Aqueous accumulator/whatever.

The setup that @asb3pe linked to might not be able to keep up with a reactor+turbines. If you really want to create the water on demand and then destroy it in the turbine, then Extra Utilities transfer nodes is probably the best way to go. Just make sure you use the least amount of upgrades necessary to avoid using up too many server/PC resources needlessly.

Archie Duffy

Jul 29, 2019
You really really want to do your self/your server owner a favour and reuse the water from the turbines. It produces a lot less lag. If you can, then placing the reactor and turbine directly adjacent to each other and aligning the coolant ports against each other will completely solve the problems of bandwidth and transfer. If you cant then just use Tesseracts to transfer the water back(just like you do with the steam, just the reversed direction). This way you only need to supply it with water during the initial startup, which can be done by a single Aqueous accumulator/whatever.

The setup that @asb3pe linked to might not be able to keep up with a reactor+turbines. If you really want to create the water on demand and then destroy it in the turbine, then Extra Utilities transfer nodes is probably the best way to go. Just make sure you use the least amount of upgrades necessary to avoid using up too many server/PC resources needlessly.
I'm not playing on a server and there's no chance of any lag with my beast of a computer. I was always playing above 500 FPS until I got an FPS limiter program to stop it from overheating.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I'm not playing on a server and there's no chance of any lag with my beast of a computer. I was always playing above 500 FPS until I got an FPS limiter program to stop it from overheating.
That only means you are not building complex enough tbh.. :p And not every performance issue is measured in FPS, sigh.. Your graphic card is not running your server.

Poorly constructed/missused components will ALWAYS bring down/decrease performance on any system(like dumping stacks of upgrades into a transfer node, forcing it to needlessly run updates many times per second, queuing up other CPU tasks). Doesn't matter how much you think it is a "beast", it is still working within the realms of reason.

Last edited:

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I set up a Mekanism salination plant recently, and it burns through water really fast. During the daytime that is. The only thing that could keep up with it is extra utilities transfer nodes with a bunch of mining upgrades. (24 to be exact) But as useful as that mod is, its a bit cheaty and I dont think the mekansim author intended them to be a requirement. So the plan is to build a large tank for holding water which will accumulate (slowly) during the night or when the salination plant is already full, instead of constantly pumping water super-fast.

Reactions: rhn

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I set up a Mekanism salination plant recently, and it burns through water really fast. During the daytime that is. The only thing that could keep up with it is extra utilities transfer nodes with a bunch of mining upgrades. (24 to be exact) But as useful as that mod is, its a bit cheaty and I dont think the mekansim author intended them to be a requirement. So the plan is to build a large tank for holding water which will accumulate (slowly) during the night or when the salination plant is already full, instead of constantly pumping water super-fast.

What's cheaty about liquid transfer nodes?

Aside from transport pipes having a bit of a graphical bug where they don't show their connection to the salination plant, they are the perfect tool for the job. It's the best way to make a ridiculously large stack of gas tanks full of hydrogen chloride :D

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
What's cheaty about liquid transfer nodes?

Aside from transport pipes having a bit of a graphical bug where they don't show their connection to the salination plant, they are the perfect tool for the job. It's the best way to make a ridiculously large stack of gas tanks full of hydrogen chloride :D

I think all of the pipes in that mod are overpowered considering how cheap they are. Its too easy to just plop down some weird little thing onto a puddle of water that does all the work for me in the most boring way possible. Might as well just live in a square box and accumulate resources for free and obsess about efficiency. Now I have a reason to add a water tower to my ore processing facility.

Reactions: rhn

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
In fairness, they aren't any less intellectually stimulating than a huge checkerboard of aqueous accumulators.

And those things a p.cheap aswell.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Yes but it seems more fair to have to store water in a backup tank rather than just create ridiculous amounts of it on the spot. Maybe I will use a buildcraft pump instead of aqueous accumulators which are also kind of silly. Yes. I will set up a permanent pump and make it look like a crane or something. I know the perfect place to put it. Thanks for the idea!

Reactions: Golrith

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Extra utilities liquid transfer node can be upgraded a fuck load. They are by far the most space and resource efficient.