Farming Valley 1.10.2 Discussion/tips/information gathering

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
H

Hitmyto

In case you haven't heard about it: Farming Valley is a (rather new) modpack by Kehaan on the Curse launcher. It's based mostly on Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley, meaning you have to start farming, watering your crops and harvesting and shipping them for money. This money can then be used to buy more buildings for your village, which will give you access to shops where you can buy items to use for the mods. Linky

Not much documentation, or any info at all is available, apart from the in-game tutorial and the villagers that give you some info, so I wanted to share what I found out and (hopefully) learn some more myself from others. =)

Tips:

-Planting seeds is generally in a 3x3 area, centered on the block you place it on, so every bag of seeds will yield at least 9 crops.

-Read the tutorial, especially at the start there's a lot of going back and forth to get everything going. Also, at first Jade will give you hardy turnips (which only sell for 1g each), but later you can get regular ones, which sell for 60g each, every time you give her 5 flowers. Best way to get enough money for the general store.

-Talk to villagers. There's a lot of in-game hints and tips already (besides random chattering) that will come directly from the villagers. (For instance, they'll tell you you can instantly break rocks in the mine by jump-hitting them with your hammer.) They can also tell you the opening and closing times of their shops.

-The blacksmith will upgrade and repair Harvest Festival tools, talk to him with the item in hand, and materials in inventory. If he's open for business, select “Chat” and he'll still take the item (or give it back).

- Dirty water can be consumed, it'll only give you thirst as far as I know. Later, when you've built the cafe, you can get free, clean water.

-Have some water near your field. You can run around with several watering, which all have to be upgraded individually, or you can place several sources of water near your field(s), saves on walking to refill your can every 100 or so watered crops.

-If you find a village, it might contain an NPC that will give you daily quests. I've seen fishing and killing ones, that reward you with nice stuff (got some diamonds from it, myself).

-The mines seem to be a separate dimension, starting at the top of the building cap, going down. Somewhere near 0 you'll find a new portal going to level 2, where you can find silver. (I'm guessing the other materials can be found even further down.)

-Grass seeds will give fodder for your cattle, if you let them grow 2 high it'll regrow.

Tested this in Creative mode, haven't been able to get all seeds yet in my original game. Most can be bought from the general store starting in the first year, except for cabbage, green pepper, hardy turnip, watermelon, nether wart, pineapple, pumpkin, spinach and strawberry. Maybe next year?

Beetroot = 75g, Autumn
Cabbage = 250g, Spring
Carrot = 120g, Autumn
Corn = 100g, Summer (regrows in 3 days)
Cucumber = 60g, Spring (regrows in 5 days)
Eggplant = 80g, Autumn (regrows in 3 days)
Green Pepper = 40g, Autumn (regrows in 6 days)
Hardy Turnip = 1g, Spring/Summer/Autumn/Winter
Watermelon = 25g per part, Summer (regrows daily)
Nether Wart = 10g (should grow in the Nether, didn't work in creative mode for me)
Onion = 80g, Summer
Pineapple = 500g, Summer (regrows, but not fast enough to yield 2 harvests in single player)
Potato = 80g, Spring
Pumpkin = 125g, Summer (regrows daily)
Spinach = 80g, Autumn
Strawberry = 30g, Spring (regrows every 2 days)
Sweet Potato = 60g, Autumn (regrows every 2 days)
Tomato = 60g, Summer (regrows every 3 days)
Turnip = 60g, Spring
Wheat = 100g, Spring/Summer/Autumn

Small Egg = 50g
Medium Egg = 60g
Large Egg = 80g

Small Milk = 100g
Medium Milk = 150g
Large Milk = 200g

Small Wool = 100g
Medium Wool = 400g
Large Wool = 500g

Junk ore, branches, stumps, rocks, boulders and weed (all from Harvest Festival mod) will give 1g each.

That's about it, if I think of more or find out new stuff I'll add it.

What are your tips/tricks or additions? Any questions, maybe? Other general discussion of this modpack is welcome too. =)

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
If you can find 3 of the 4 sets of natura berries, you can survive on that alone. As well as make berry salad and berry mettley.

ZephyrWindSpirit

Jul 29, 2019
I will just keep updating this.

Aim for the blacksmith as quickly as possible. He sells the axe for 1k, and gives you a hammer for talking to him the first time. The hammer will give smooth stone from small rocks (copper can break medium rocks), and the axe gives oak wood from small branches (copper can break medium branches). If someone's got an early game of not going insane with smelting stone without silk touch, I'd love that.

The blacksmith at present repairs the hammer, hoe, axe for 1 stone each and... 100g? at basic level. I don't know yet how much it costs for repairing copper and higher. Animal brush, milker and shears must be purchased. Shears can be crafted.

You need to build the mining hut before the mining hill, the flower strewn place where you go to another dimension to mine, opens to buy from Yulif.

The building order at present (0.7 of the pack) is as follows:
Carpenter; general store; poultry farm; animal ranch; blacksmith; mining hut; mining hill; goddess pond; cafe; fishing hut; fishing hole; church; clockmaker; town hall. If I'm missing one or am out of order, say so.

If you do a lot of tree farming, since vanilla farming is disabled, there's no reason to be in any other mode then peaceful to start with. The bird nests have a chance for bones, and you can't presently fertilize crops in Harvest Festival.

Go fishing. 60 gold per salmon, 20 gold per raw fish. Can't recall on pufferfish or clownfish. Its easier money, just put on a jaunty music and go to town.

You can sleep at any time of day. Sleep makes crops grow quicker.

27 turnips + the 1k gift from the goddess earns you just enough to afford the general store in 5 days if you do nothing else but gather wood and stone.

Make use of Jade giving you turnip seeds per 5 flowers. This also works for biomes o plenty flowers. (hint hint, LAVENDER FIELDS) Its free money until the store is built, which takes Yulif a day or two.

A smooth stone generator might be worth making if its possible.

Vanilla grass does not drop seeds as the Harvest festival config disables that. HOWEVER; Biomes o plenty grasses DO. Take heed on this if you are finding you are picking up unusable seeds.

Last edited:

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Just not enough information about this pack.

I need to know mostly how do I get more hearts. Modpack author says buy from priest after it is unlocked. Don't know how to unlock him and haven't gotten a response back from that question. If it is a gift based lock, I want to know about the whole gift process. What weight do gifts give and what amount do I need to unlock him? After 2 in game years, the daily grind has killed my motivation to figure something out not already explained or shown in configs.

Reactions: BananaK
M

MidnightRein

Alright, so I found out some stuff too, some of it kinda obvious.

• First off, if you start playing, you're gonna find yourself really frustrated with some of the bigger trees. Biome's custom trees sometimes won't respond to the quick-decay mod, and won't decay at all, so you'll find yourself knocking leaves out of the sky. Noticed this the most with Spruce wood.
  • Villages are border-line useless, especially the all-vanilla ones. Because vanilla planting is disabled, none of the farms will yield you anything. They will eventually dry out as they catch up with Harvest Fest rules. However, if you find Wheat or stuff in the chests, they can be shipped still like you harvested it. Windmills give you TONS of wheat, had almost 18k on day three because i managed to find a village with one.
  • After playing in a few different Biomes, Praries seem best, especially if you can find a birch tree, since these grow tallest here. There's plenty of flat land and that makes it easy to build and find early-game ravines and cave systems on Journey Map.
  • Birds' Nests can be really key early-game. They can give fish, sticks, feathers, paper, blaze powder and gold nuggets, string... fish can be turned into the shipping box (not sure on the price though!), and paper can be used to make the filters. They randomly drop from all tree types.
  • You can make Apple Juice! Sugar, vanilla water (filter dirty water, then cook it) and an apple makes it, and it restores quite a bit of your hydration bar. It also seems to last longer than regular water.
  • Diminishing Returns is really rough without Pam's, so make sure you save some of your crops to the side for yourself to eat, if you can't find all the Biomes O' Plenty berries and shrooms.
  • I really do recommend taking a sky-block approach to the pack. Prioritize axes and picks for tools early game, and set up a cobble or stone gen near where you live. Mobs are no problem on the surface because you can sleep whenever you want, but boy oh boy can they collect underground.
  • Speaking of sleeping! Early game if you run down your hunger, don't start eating right away. Sleeping restores your hunger to full, with 2 1/2 saturation. In fact, when you'd starve to death in Vanilla, you'll be kicked back to your bed to sleep for the night.
  • Keep in mind that farming, taking care of animals, and all the regular minecraft activities drain your hunger. Keep food on you in the field, and prioritize crops over animals, since they take far less hunger. You'll wanna keep your field a manageable size with diminishing returns being a thing.
  • Cows, Sheep, and Chicken do not spawn naturally (you'll notice quickly with hoards of pigs and as you progress). This means your main source of food for a while will be pork, and for a while your only source of leather will be horses.
  • Even though the Goddess Ritual can only be preformed with Vanilla flowers, Jade will accept all of them! Generally, if it clearly looks like a flower or sounds like a flower, it is a flower. If you have to question if it's a flower then it probably isn't (i.e. leaf piles or mushrooms don't count)
I will add more as I find more!

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
How does one get sprinklers? How does one get better watering cans than the stone watering can?

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Fantastic update: You get 10 copper from the mine hut dude. take that and your watercan to the blacksmith. When his shop time is open, and if you select to chat, he will take your stone watercan and all 10 copper and in 3 days he'll give you a copper watercan. does 3x1 area. more importantly, it is at this point I was also able to purchase sprinklers at 10k each. Each sprinkler has to be at the same y level as your crops and waters a 9x9 area, but of course not the space it is placed on. After which though I was not able to buy anymore. The sprinklers remove a SIGNIFICANT amount of grind, because all you have to do is dump a water bucket on the sprinkler instead of destroying your hunger and food supplies, and are worth every penny. Because I don't know when I will be able to buy further sprinklers don't upgrade the watercan until you are ready to buy all your sprinklers at one time. Buying dungeon locater balls at 10k are worth it as well, to grind out xp for enchants.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
frustrating trying to figure it out, but you need to mine the hammer up to 100%, repair it, then you can hand it to the blacksmith with 10 copper in inventory, and he'll do it.

Rishenda

Jul 29, 2019
frustrating trying to figure it out, but you need to mine the hammer up to 100%, repair it, then you can hand it to the blacksmith with 10 copper in inventory, and he'll do it.

Why not just keep this thread going instead of both and typing exactly the same in both threads. This thread was started for hints, tips and questions. Just seems silly to keep both going.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
mostly because the 2 threads had different people on them, who seemed either interested/knowledgable. I had questions or additions I wanted to make known.

M

Maholix

Just not enough information about this pack.
I am currently working on correcting this, as I too got frustrated by the fact that a lot of info out there is just summary. I looked at farming valley, harvest festival (what the pack is based around) and lots of others.. all seem to be summary posts that don't say much.

So I am presently working on a guide that doesn't require searching through hour long let's play vids. It's still in it's early stages, as I do not yet have my notes compiled all the way. I plan to measure building sizes and costs, talk about how to begin the mod etc. It's process. However, given the confusion expressed, I figured I would share a little info ahead of time. Hopefully it helps someone.

I will of course, make more complete notes as I go and share it here when finished. I apologize for any missing info. I didn't start the guide until I realized the lack of info online, so I'm having to redo some buildings for measurements and what the signs on shops say.

Note that it's hard to list a build order for these, because at some point, you'll begin to unlock different blue prints at once and what fills those slots depends on the order of what you build when, but I did my best. Some vendor stock changes based on day of week or season, so I went general in my descriptions. Sorry it's such a long list, there are after all, 13 buildings.

It is also worth noting that I may still be missing some of the info on the villagers themselves. Some of them open extra stock, give recipes etc when they like you, but I have yet to befriend anyone, so I am missing that knowledge. Still, this list should steer people more or less in the right direction.

Anyways, here's a list of the buildings and their functions:

- Carpenter -

(Yulif's Carpentry)
Open
09:00 - 17:30
Sun - Fri

Function
=========
- First building,
- Sells and builds all other village buildings (as you unlock them)
- Sells shipping box and bed
Home of Jade, who hands out starter seeds and some tools

- General Store -
(Jenni's Bargins)
Open
09:00 - 17:00
Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri

Also Sat
11:00 - 15:00

Function
========
- Second Building
- Sells seasonal seeds
- Sells some basic food
- Also sells many starter items for mod crafting
(list here)

- Animal Ranch -

(Jim's Animal Ranch)
Open
10:00 - 15:00
Mon - Sat

Function
=========
- Third Building
- Sells cows and basic cattle care items
- Also sells sheep, name tags
- Gives free cow first time spoken to

- Poultry Farm -

(Foxie's Fowl)
Open
05:00 - 11:00
Monday - Friday

Function
=========
- Fourth Building
- Sells chickens and chicken care items (IE nesting boxes)
- Also sells name tag, farm blocks (from forestry)
- Gives free chicken first time spoken to

- Blacksmith -

(Daneiru's Blacksmith Shop)
Open
10:00 - 16:00
Fri - Wed

Function
=========
- Fifth building (techically this is where building order branches, mine hut unlocks at same time)
- Sells various tools, including hammer (used for mining)
- Also sells ingots needed for mod crafting and some machine blocks
- Repairs and upgrades all harvest festival tools when chatted with
Note:
Tool must be in hand for this. Takes money and the stone or ore nesserary for repairs/upgrades. Only accepts the ore gathered from mine. Tool must be at 100% to be upgraded. All tools being worked on takes three days, must be done one at a time.

- Mining Hut -

(Brandon's Mining Wares)
Open
11:00 - 16:00
Mon - Sat

Function
=========
- Sixth building (techically unlocks at same time as blacksmith)
- Needed to unlock mining hill
- Miner sells mining bag (from forestry) and escape ropes
- Also sells mining walls and ladders (cosmetic)
- Misc machined mining gear (no picks, mine uses hammer)

- Mining Hill -
(Landmark)
Open 24/7
Resets to some degree after awhile (every day?)

Function
========
- Seventh Building
- Is a deminsion that serves as the town mine
- Need hammer to mine stones here
- Monsters spawn here, but ore does as well
- Can go very deep.. deeper you go, better the ore, harder the mobs

Tips:
Torches only help you see. They stay even after mine resets, but do not stop spawns.
Must find ladders/cave openings to go deeper in mine
Carry escape ropes before you go mining, they teleport you to the start of the mine
DO NOT try to sleep in a bed here. Blows up like in the nether and can damage ladders!

- Fishing Hut -

(Jacob's Fishing Shack)
Open
13:00 - 19:00
Tues - Fri

Function
=========

- Techically unlocks same time as mining hut
- Buys fish for more than shipping box?
- Sells fishing gear (for aquaculture and cyclic)
- Needed for fishing hole

- Fishing Hole -
(Land Mark)
Open 24/7

Function
=========
- Used to catch certain fish not available elsewhere, affected by season
Note:
Fishing is done mostly out in the world, via rivers and lakes/large pools of water. But the fishing hole counts as a special "pond" biome and certain fish can only be caught here.

- Goddess Pond -
(Land Mark)
Open 24/7

Function
=========
- Do I even need to talk about unlock order at this point?
- Used to give a gift to the goddess without needing to summon her (throw item in)
- Also a fancy summoning pool
- (Dunno if it has other uses yet)
Tips:
This more like a small water fall. When building the pond, the builder actually places down a number of plants, including some oak trees and goddess flowers, which if your callous enough to pick, do actually work to summon her just the same as all the others she leaves behind.

- Cafe -

(Liara's Cafe)
Open
09:30 - 17:00
Every Day

Function
=========
- Has two vendors (liara and granny)
- Offers free bottled water (yes, free)
- Sells cooking related goods, including a fridge, oven, recipe book, etc
- Sells pre-made hearty meals
- Sells lunchboxes (bag that hold food) and postage/mail goods
- Irrc, sells some trinkets and magical bobbles

- Church -

(Tomas' Chapel)
Open
02:00 - 03:00
Mon - Wed

Function
=========
- Appears to unlock once your village is large
- Sells heart containers
- Blesses "cursed" tools
Note:
Heart containers fill the empty heart slots in your health bar
Not sure what are or how to get cursed tools, but if it's like harvest moon, I would assume they come from the mine.

- Clockmaker -

(Tiberius' Clockworks)
Open
Unknown

Function:
- Tells you how many years your village has been around for
- I am told he sells clocks. Have not seen this for myself however, so can't confirm
Note:
He mentions a hoping his "bee keeper" brother moves to town and that he had a friend who knew powerful blood magic. I therefore assume this was meant as foreshadowing on the part of the author, in hopes these mods would update enough to be added to the pack. I wonder if the clock maker is finished or not.

- Town Hall -

(Mayor Jeimmi's Manor)
Open
Unknown

Function
=========
Unknown

Note:
This is a very large and costly building to be doing nothing. It seems odd to me.

The mayor is a very picky person and very harsh tongued. I assume over a period of befriending her she becomes kinder, but as I never managed to do this yet, I dunno. I know very little about her, but assume she was/is supposed to help run some kind of events system after a certain time frame has elasped?

She and the clockworker seem unfinished to me, so unless I am missing something, I can only assume they are part of an upcoming quest system or "event" day set up like harvest moon and stardew are so known for.

Last edited:
R

RageofAngelz

Ok I am hosting a server and am very new to MC in general. This mod we started today, we are a group of friends that want to stick together in the land but when I try to place my carpenter is says cannot build here, no permission. Anyone know why?. Also is there a feature i'm not seeing that allows one to claim chunks?. Ty for any and all help in advance.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Minecraft doesn't allow non-Oped players to place/break blocks or activate redstone buttons/levers within the spawn area, this is probably your issue with not being able to place the block.