Farming in 1.10.2

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
If it's a spider farm, sure...

String... hehe... see wut i did dar?

Now, to be honest, meh? The single pic doesn't give enough context.
Job mode.. how many different modes? what do they do?
I'm guessing harvest harvests sure.. but does it plant as well?
Filter mode? Do you mean whitelist/blacklist?
String match... NBT Data?
Target mode... Ranged? So this block will work in an area not directly under/adjacent to it? Or do you mean it's actual range?

I guess what I'm saying is yes.. it's a bit complicated.

Odovbold

Jul 29, 2019
About GUIs... Does this one seem complicated for you?
vGZxejo.png

Is the right-hand screen only shows up when you click the String match/Partial match? It took me a while to understand what "Add string/Remove string" is about

Alexiy

Mar 3, 2014
Riga, Latvia
This is a GUI of another block breaker. Here is a breakdown:
Job mode: can be 'Harvest' or 'Destroy'.
Target mode: 'Ranged' or 'Point'.
Range limit: if target mode is 'Ranged' - operates on a block position range, else if target mode is 'Point' - operates on a single block position. Maximum value: 170.
If job mode is 'Harvest', then Filtering mode is available with 2 options: 'Skip' or 'Destroy'. One can set filters (names of blocks) to the exceptions on the right. If job mode is 'Destroy', filtering mode is redundant and thus disabled.
String match: 'Partial match' or 'Exact match'; used by filters. Specifies whether breaker will match block names partially or fully.
This breaker operates in a direction it's facing; can be rotated; doesn't have internal inventory - it outputs drops directly to an inventory behind it.
@Odovbold it always shows, to view filters that are currently present.

Alexiy

Mar 3, 2014
Riga, Latvia
I just want something that right-clicks everything in the area of effect and collects the resources. Is that too much to ask?
Blasphemy! Everyone knows one needs a machine to click, a machine to harvest drops, a machine to replant the crops and a machine to power these machines. ;)

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
Blasphemy! Everyone knows one needs a machine to click, a machine to harvest drops, a machine to replant the crops and a machine to power these machines. ;)
Ugh, reminds me of that thread of Reddit yesterday, complaining about this mob-less mob spawner/killer. Like yeah, multiple machines is cool and all, but being light weight and server friendly is king (a sentiment I believe Shneekey and I share).

Although that's how my new world is set up. Mechanical users to plant, water flood thing to harvest, and then a hopper to collect the drops. Pain in my arse, and I hate it, but my current "light weight" pack doesn't have a better option.

Reactions: PierceSG

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Ugh, reminds me of that thread of Reddit yesterday, complaining about this mob-less mob spawner/killer. Like yeah, multiple machines is cool and all, but being light weight and server friendly is king (a sentiment I believe Shneekey and I share).

Although that's how my new world is set up. Mechanical users to plant, water flood thing to harvest, and then a hopper to collect the drops. Pain in my arse, and I hate it, but my current "light weight" pack doesn't have a better option.
Actually... that's not a bad setup, really. I mean, there was a vanilla automated farm which used pistons and water with a redstone contraption to farm wheat, with hoppers into chests collecting them. Something like the RFTools Builder could be used to re-plant. The only catch is how do you know if everything has fully matured yet.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Actually... that's not a bad setup, really. I mean, there was a vanilla automated farm which used pistons and water with a redstone contraption to farm wheat, with hoppers into chests collecting them. Something like the RFTools Builder could be used to re-plant. The only catch is how do you know if everything has fully matured yet.

Unfortunately, you don't most of the time. You just set up a timer that goes off when roughly 75-80% of the field is mature, and accept some loss. From there, it's just a matter of tinkering with the clock to get it where you want/need it.

Reactions: RenzosNips

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Unfortunately, you don't most of the time. You just set up a timer that goes off when roughly 75-80% of the field is mature, and accept some loss. From there, it's just a matter of tinkering with the clock to get it where you want/need it.
Sensor block from RFTools can help. Emit redstone signal when crop = fully mature. Have a sampling of three or so different areas with an AND gate so all three must be mature for signal to trigger... maybe not 100% efficient, but should work fairly well.

Reactions: Dentvar and Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Sensor block from RFTools can help. Emit redstone signal when crop = fully mature. Have a sampling of three or so different areas with an AND gate so all three must be mature for signal to trigger... maybe not 100% efficient, but should work fairly well.
I'm annoyed that I cannot find any information on the Sensor block. I love these kinds of blocks.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019

I really should try to use RFTools more. So many answers exist in that mod, but I've never more than dabbled in it outside of Dimension building and teleporters. I can see using a sensor in each quadrant of a field for uniform sampling (OCD much?) leading to increased yields. But honestly, unless you're playing a brutal pack or basing your entire power production off wheat farming, a few immature plants per harvest won't hurt much either way.

S

ServerLagger™

Cyclic has a Garden Scythe which can harvest (and replant!) crops in a very large area: you may be able to slap one of these bad boys in a Mechanical User, activate it with a long timer, and collect the drops with whatever ranged hopper. Farm done, two machines used.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Cyclic has a Garden Scythe which can harvest (and replant!) crops in a very large area: you may be able to slap one of these bad boys in a Mechanical User, activate it with a long timer, and collect the drops with whatever ranged hopper. Farm done, two machines used.

From what little I played with that scythe in my trial of the HermitCraft pack, it doesn't affect immature plants, so there isn't a pressing need to tune the timer perfectly. I would aim for the minimum it takes a wheat plant to mature (maybe longer if you're worried about server performance degradation).

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
Found another nice way for farming in 1.10. from "The Agricultural Revolution", the happy harvest bot.
Seen on crops it gives more the "laboratory/science" way of farming, so for futuristic looking crop farms this one is totally amazing.
And it totally looks cute with his smiley face! Which other farming machine gives you a smile? *chuckles*

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Found another nice way for farming in 1.10. from "The Agricultural Revolution", the happy harvest bot.
Seen on crops it gives more the "laboratory/science" way of farming, so for futuristic looking crop farms this one is totally amazing.
And it totally looks cute with his smiley face! Which other farming machine gives you a smile? *chuckles*
Any screenshots of this? I'm curious.

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
Any screenshots of this? I'm curious.

Only the official screenshots so far. While I'm already hyped to use them myself, I'm still working on actually getting the ressources to craft them (which seems a bit complicated, but I like complicated crafting challanges hehe)

Here the official screenshot. The smiley-block is the happy harvest bot, the little boxes around it are the crop-"fields".

OSa4tLM.png

[edit]
Hope it's alright to post the screenshot, while it's not from me myself. Else I could fast put something together in creative mode ^^"