Factorization barrels with Builcraft pipes

huldu

Jul 29, 2019
Barrels get really handy once you start using routers. You can create some insanely compact builds to hoard all your never-ending loot in.

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
Nothing will go in the overflow chest except what you want, provided the chest is more than 1 block away from the filter. RP tubes will always go the the closest available inventory, they won't split like BC pipes.

thats not the issue. The issue is that the router is jammed and then even PR tubes cannot deliver their goods there
for example you have cobble and dirt and the router is jammed with cobble. Where will the dirt go to now even though there is space in the barell? In the overflow even though there is space for dirt. To overgo that issue you would need 1 router for each barell which is doable but don't think thats a pretty solution

DaemosDaen

Jul 29, 2019
Have a chest at the end of the router's line that pipes to a void pipe.?
Once the barrels are all full, it spits it out into the chest to be thrown away.

unless I misunderstand how they work.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
thats not the issue. The issue is that the router is jammed and then even PR tubes cannot deliver their goods there
for example you have cobble and dirt and the router is jammed with cobble. Where will the dirt go to now even though there is space in the barell? In the overflow even though there is space for dirt. To overgo that issue you would need 1 router for each barell which is doable but don't think thats a pretty solution

In my example, the filter prevents the router from receiving incorrect items, therefore it doesn't get jammed. To be fair, it might be an issue if the barrel gets filled, but if you keep any kind of eye on it, you could upgrade the barrel or adjust the filter.

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
In my example, the filter prevents the router from receiving incorrect items, therefore it doesn't get jammed. To be fair, it might be an issue if the barrel gets filled, but if you keep any kind of eye on it, you could upgrade the barrel or adjust the filter.

how does the filter prevent jams in the router? it just sees "ah dirt and cobble in here" and transfers them to the router. and then the router is stuck on cobble and dirt is getting push further. And thats not the point then if you have to watch all time on the barells. Then overflow chests are meaningless, since you have to look anyways.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
how does the filter prevent jams in the router? it just sees "ah dirt and cobble in here" and transfers them to the router. and then the router is stuck on cobble and dirt is getting push further. And thats not the point then if you have to watch all time on the barells. Then overflow chests are meaningless, since you have to look anyways.
The Filter prevents the incorrect items arriving, the Relay prevents jams (the router and the relay will pass back and forth until everything is put away). So the only issue is if the barrel fills, however that's an issue with any finite storage. The upside with barrels is you can just slap an upgrade on the full one, and you're back in business =)

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
The Filter prevents the incorrect items arriving, the Relay prevents jams (the router and the relay will pass back and forth until everything is put away). So the only issue is if the barrel fills, however that's an issue with any finite storage. The upside with barrels is you can just slap an upgrade on the full one, and you're back in business =)

but thats the issue you want to prevent... the cause of one barell filling up which renders all other items not to be able to enter its own barell even though there is still space.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
but thats the issue you want to prevent... the cause of one barell filling up which renders all other items not to be able to enter its own barell even though there is still space.
That's not how it works. On the off chance you have a full barrel, the router will toss the item back to the relay, try something else (that will fit), and then go back to the offending item. True, you will have something in an infinite loop until you deal with it, but it will not prevent the other items from reaching their destination. And really, what are you going to put in the storage system that you expect more than 64 stacks of? Cobble? Dirt? Sand? Gravel? Void it, make a separate line for it, or upgrade the barrel from the start. Anything else you should have plenty of time to plan before it becomes an issue.

Zivel

Jul 29, 2019
But what about stuff that doesnt have a home yet that you just threw in the drop box? Sorry, just saw you have the sorter.... was tryig to do it without the sorter.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
But what about stuff that doesnt have a home yet that you just threw in the drop box? Sorry, just saw you have the sorter.... was tryig to do it without the sorter.
The sorting machine (I assume you mean) will work for a 40 barrel wall, but if you want a smaller wall(or walls) of 9 barrels, you can use a filter instead, just have to have an alternate/overflow line for things not in the filter.

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
That's not how it works. On the off chance you have a full barrel, the router will toss the item back to the relay, try something else (that will fit), and then go back to the offending item. True, you will have something in an infinite loop until you deal with it, but it will not prevent the other items from reaching their destination. And really, what are you going to put in the storage system that you expect more than 64 stacks of? Cobble? Dirt? Sand? Gravel? Void it, make a separate line for it, or upgrade the barrel from the start. Anything else you should have plenty of time to plan before it becomes an issue.

o ic, you havent set a machine upgrade to it, but even though funny fact is that it is easy to achieve but just not as pretty, since you just have to add a line of tubes on top of the barrels. But ShadwDrgn said on his Video that NeptunePunk will fix the bug with the throroughness upgrade which will solve this whole discussion about it, cause then you just need 1 lone barrel at the end of line which you can extract all items from which are all overexcess items.

Zivel

Jul 29, 2019
7yCTk.png

Got a simple simple system I posted in the other thread. THanks all for the ideas :)

themiker384

Jul 29, 2019
I've read through the thread and I just don't understand how to have the items go through the router, and into the barrels and then into the overflow chest if either A: the barrel is full, or B: it's an unsorted item. As of right now I just have a filter sucking items out of an enderchest, runs into a router and it distributes the items randomly across all my barrels and also into the chest. As someone has mentioned thoroughness upgrade does sound like it would fill the first available machine/barrel it can, before moving on to the next, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Edit: Ok I'm following bagman's build with the filter/sorting machine/relay, the thing i don't understand is why we need the filter and relay. Can't we just have the sorting machine pump what we need directly to our router?

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
I've read through the thread and I just don't understand how to have the items go through the router, and into the barrels and then into the overflow chest if either A: the barrel is full, or B: it's an unsorted item. As of right now I just have a filter sucking items out of an enderchest, runs into a router and it distributes the items randomly across all my barrels and also into the chest. As someone has mentioned thoroughness upgrade does sound like it would fill the first available machine/barrel it can, before moving on to the next, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Edit: Ok I'm following bagman's build with the filter/sorting machine/relay, the thing i don't understand is why we need the filter and relay. Can't we just have the sorting machine pump what we need directly to our router?

if you would have read through this thread, you would know that thoroughness upgrade is bugged right now and NeptunePink is hopefully still working on it to fix it. Maybe he will release it in the next big update and just merge it.

And more expensive always work in RP2 since they all build up onto each other.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, yes, for people wondering on what I eventually ended up doing about router jams, here's what I threw in today after an "oh, duh" moment that hit me while explaining routers in general to a friend (Screenshots are included because it's difficult to just describe the relative location in text without showing).

Iron gate on a structure pipe underneath the router. Gate is set to "IF Inventory is Empty THEN Red Wire Signal". Structure pipe/red pipe wire are then ran around the side next to a Timer. Iron Gate on the end is "IF Red Wire Signal THEN Redstone Signal". This keeps the Timer locked in the off position when the Router is empty. The Timer itself is set to an interval (I chose 25 seconds, your mileage may vary) and is placed next to a Filter on top of the router. A Crystal Chest (so I can see overflow when it happens) is on top of that filter.

Not exactly my most brilliant and server-friendly invention (I am, after all, making a redstone signal flutter every time a stack of something passes through my Router; the moment between moving stacks of stuff is enough to reset the Timer, which is what makes this work), but we're running on a very robust box and after logging in to raining cobblestone in our processing area because somebody had oopsed and placed their quarry over where they'd made a staircase earlier and jammed things with cobblestone stairs... I needed a solution that didn't require watching the "End Products for Sorting" Ender Chest.

2013-02-13_16.31.14.png

2013-02-13_16.31.24.png

Mulchman

Jul 29, 2019
Started playing with routers today and hit the jam problem pretty quickly with my first test quarry and cobblestone. I'm saddened there are no good solutions to this problem already; the Router itself emitting a signal when jammed would be awesome ... but in the meantime I can't redesign my whole storage room. :p

Anyway, I played with an idea in creative that I thought I would share (and I'm sure you guys can improve upon): an Item Detector set to 'backstuffed', wired into a NOT gate wired into a timer connected to a Retriever, can clear the jam reliably (and then in my case I would Item Tesseract the jamming stack off to my recyclers for scrap to feed the Matter Fabricator).

Test example - flow starts on bottom left where I manually input cobblestone and/or redstone; anything that doesn't fit into the two barrels winds up in the diamond chest on the right:
2013-02-28_21.40.25.png

I really hate using timers though; you can physically feel the lag when they pulse. Maybe there's a better way to do a redstone pulse?

Anyway, now the problem to solve is not stopping the flow coming in from the quarry. When the Item Detector is in the 'backstuffed' mode, the Sorting Machine isn't going to pump which will back up the Ender Chest it's connected to which means items from the quarry go everywhere at the quarry site. I'm thinking stuff from the Ender Chest could get pumped into several buffer chests (at least 8 diamond chests?) where a Router set up to eject stacks feeds into a similar system detailed in the screenshot. As long as the eject process and jam clearing can move fast enough to not allow the buffer chests to overflow then everything is gravy.

Got any suggestions/improvements? Is there a better lag-wise way to pulse?

Mulchman

Jul 29, 2019
Playing with ComputerCraft - if you get rid of the NOT gate and replace the timer with a computer:

2013-02-28_22.14.48.png

'edit startup'
Code:
function checkStuff()
  if rs.getInput("front") then
    rs.setOutput("back", true)
    sleep(0.2)
    rs.setOutput("back", false)
  end
  sleep(0.2)
end

while true do checkStuff() end

(Of course the computer needs to be oriented correctly so that "back" and "front" correspond to the correct locations otherwise you have to change the code.)

Then run 'startup' and when the Item Detector triggers the redstone signal to indicate that it's 'backstuffed', the computer does a redstone pulse to the Retriever.

I have no idea if the computer doing the redstone pulse is any less laggy than a timer, though... but it definitely skips the lighting update which is what some people say the timer lag is partly from.