Extra Utilities transfer nodes + pipes > fluiducts + aqueous accumulator?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Chemomancer

Jul 29, 2019
I need to pipe large amounts of liquids into a big reactors setup (reactor AND turbine), and was wondering what would be the best setup of pipe and water generation to use... the problem is, I cannot find information regarding the extra utilities piping speeds.

Fluiducts pipe 100mB/t per connection
Aqueous accumulators suck up 1B/t of water

my assumption is that transfer node (liquids) will pump the same amount as aqueous accumulators, being that it sucks up one source block directly below it per tick

but... I cannot seem to find information regarding the pipes and how fast they operate, it isn't mentioned on either the FTB or the Tekkit wikis, and a google search yielded nothing. If they are, in fact, the same rate, then from a material cost they would be much cheaper to mass produce.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
If you are using a BR Reactor and Turbine setup, you should only need to fill the system with water once, then run on a closed circuit.

That said, the only way to move the required amounts of steam and/or water to and from your multiblocks in a single fluid port is XU Liquid Transfer Nodes (without opting for Tesseract or Dimensional Transceiver) in most, if not all, FTB packs. I don't have any numbers on me, but my system uses XU pipes to move water from my Turbine into my MFR Boilers using only a few stacks of speed upgrades on my Transfer Nodes (I used two, mostly because I thought it looked better). I'm not sure how the Stacks Upgrade performs in regards to liquids, but it may also be an option.

If you are open to using multiple fluid ports per fluid, your options relax a bit, but the mess of pipes becomes too cluttered for my taste.

Chemomancer

Jul 29, 2019
That said, the only way to move the required amounts of steam and/or water to and from your multiblocks in a single fluid port is XU Liquid Transfer Nodes (without opting for Tesseract or Dimensional Transceiver) in most, if not all, FTB packs.

So it sounds as if the transfer pipes are, in fact, better than the fluiducts. Is it possible that the transfer pipes use the same speed as the transfer nodes (1000mB/t or 1B/t)?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
The transfer pipes are just pipes. The Nodes are what determine speed and transfer type (item, liquids).

Chemomancer

Jul 29, 2019
The transfer pipes are just pipes. The Nodes are what determine speed and transfer type (item, liquids).

k, thanks for the help.

If you are using a BR Reactor and Turbine setup, you should only need to fill the system with water once, then run on a closed circuit.

I seem to be having some issues. it seems that my system is jammed now. While they should be exchanging water and steam at the same rate (in my setup, 1800mB/t), they are instead saying 'the reactor is full, so I can't send it water' 'the turbine is full, so I can't send it steam', which... in the end, leads to no power generation and a rapidly heating up reactor.

How much should I fill the system? because completely filling it clearly wasn't correct...

Last edited:

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
You need to let it vent off excess water in the turbine, and for steam cycle down the reactor with the control rod(s) until there is no excess steam but just enough to keep your rotors going.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
k, thanks for the help.

I seem to be having some issues. it seems that my system is jammed now. While they should be exchanging water and steam at the same rate (in my setup, 1200mB/t), they are instead saying 'the reactor is full, so I can't send it water' 'the turbine is full, so I can't send it steam', which... in the end, leads to no power generation and a rapidly heating up reactor.

How much should I fill the system? because completely filling it clearly wasn't correct...

The Turbine has a "Void Overflow" setting in the controller. Use this to vent the excess water from your system. Dial back the reactor output to match the input needed by the turbine, then close the system off and recycle your fluids.

Chemomancer

Jul 29, 2019
You need to let it vent off excess water in the turbine, and for steam cycle down the reactor with the control rod(s) until there is no excess steam but just enough to keep your rotors going.

Ok, I have temperature under control now... there is yet another problem though (lucky me). Though the turbine is spinning and converting steam into water now, the spinup for it is HORRENDOUSLY slow, like, I would have to run this thing for DAYS to get to 900RPM... why?

It is recieving enough steam... the turbine is configured to run on 1800mB/t, the reactor produces 1800mB/t, and I have two transfer node (liquids) running from the reactor to the turbine, and two more running back (2000mB/t each direction in total, so, it isn't getting held up due to lack of transfer speed)... so what gives? why is my turbine so agonizingly slow?

my turbine has 72 blades (72x25=1800), and a coil of 32 enderium, and 2 fluxed electrum ((55mB/t x 32) + (20mB/t x 2) = 1800), is this right?

Last edited:

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
The turbine takes some time to spin up to speed. If you want it to spin up faster, disengage the coils. This makes the turbine spin up significantly faster, but you get no RF production while its happening. Once it gets up to speed (it can actually spin faster than the normal steam would make it, if you need a bit of a bigger burst for a short time) engage the coils and it should settle in to its nominal rate.

Chemomancer

Jul 29, 2019
The turbine takes some time to spin up to speed. If you want it to spin up faster, disengage the coils. This makes the turbine spin up significantly faster, but you get no RF production while its happening. Once it gets up to speed (it can actually spin faster than the normal steam would make it, if you need a bit of a bigger burst for a short time) engage the coils and it should settle in to its nominal rate.

How do I do this? just remove the coils from the machine? Or is there some UI I have not discovered?

And I literally meant real life days to spin up... I ran it for 4 hours and it was still increasing, though it only got to 50 rpm in that time. I highly doubt that that kind of wait is an intentional feature of the mod, and, in fact, previous attempts at turbine design were much quicker.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Via the Turbine's GUI, there should be an option to engage the coil and an option to disengage it.

Disengage the coils allow it to spin up a lot faster at the drawback of not getting any RF generated during the spin up.

Once the RPM has reached the desired level, feel free to re - engaged the coils.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
The GUI, and all control options for the turbine, is the Turbine Controller block. You can even dial in the max amount of steam a turbine uses there, if you were so inclined.

Chemomancer

Jul 29, 2019
Via the Turbine's GUI, there should be an option to engage the coil and an option to disengage it.

Disengage the coils allow it to spin up a lot faster at the drawback of not getting any RF generated during the spin up.

Once the RPM has reached the desired level, feel free to re - engaged the coils.

I do not see this anywhere, I only see the toggles for whether the turbine is active or not, and whether or not it should or should not dump exhaust. I also cannot find reference to this in any of the wikis.

I did, however, try removing the coils except 1 block of enderium, to no beneficial effect, the turbine runs just as poorly, so I replaced my coil how I had it before.

As a side note so that I can attempt to locate the problem, what exactly determines turbine speed, assuming it has an excess of material (I.E. the steam is being put into the turbine as fast or faster than the turbine is using it).

Chemomancer

Jul 29, 2019
The GUI, and all control options for the turbine, is the Turbine Controller block. You can even dial in the max amount of steam a turbine uses there, if you were so inclined.

I have done this already, the turbine has been set since the start to use the max output of 1800mB/t (the same value my reactor is producing). I have also tried lowering this, to no effect.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Turbine RPM is a function of steam input, blades used, and coil material (as I understand, anyway).

The button you are looking for is above the exhaust options. It should be a simple two button (engaged/disengaged). Don't remove any Blocks of the turbine, else it resets everything and you have to wait for it to spin up again.

Chemomancer

Jul 29, 2019
Turbine RPM is a function of steam input, blades used, and coil material (as I understand, anyway).

The button you are looking for is above the exhaust options. It should be a simple two button (engaged/disengaged). Don't remove any Blocks of the turbine, else it resets everything and you have to wait for it to spin up again.

Above 'exhaust options' is 'Max flow', which, as I mentioned, is set to 1800mB/t (coinciding with the reactor), and I have attempted to lower this, to no effect

as for blades used and coil material, my calculations are above, which are the minimum and most efficient methods of arriving at 1800mB/t, are there any other variables which would affect this? I highly doubt that such a long spinup time is normal, even for a turbine of this size.

Chemomancer

Jul 29, 2019
Aqueous accumulators suck up 1B/t of water

my assumption is that transfer node (liquids) will pump the same amount as aqueous accumulators, being that it sucks up one source block directly below it per tick

If this is the case, then my setup for piping seems to be correct. It is set to pipe 2000mB/t of liquid via the transfer nodes (2 of them), and it seems that when it pulls this steam and runs it for a tick... there IS 200mB of steam left in the tank after said tick (hence, it is using 1800mB/t, which is why the 200 is left in the tank), could the problem be that I am pumping more than what it is using each tick? I doubt it... but anything is possible...

Edit: after rethinking this statement, the reactor is only producing 1800mB/t... this 200mB is extra buildup from the small delay it takes to activate both machines... since the reactor is only producing 1800, then the nodes will only transfer 1800, regardless of what they are capable of...

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
0I2Kf6e.png

This is the button you are looking for. I built this turbine in a test world, disengaged the coils, and waited. It took about five minutes to spin up (actually reached just over 2000rpm before my sandwich was made, but it settled back in once I engaged the coils).

Chemomancer

Jul 29, 2019
his is the button you are looking for. I built this turbine in a test world, disengaged the coils, and waited. It took about five minutes to spin up (actually reached just over 2000rpm before my sandwich was made, but it settled back in once I engaged the coils).

Turbine%20control_zpsuz9xbmfh.png

As you can see, I do not have that part of the UI, as I said. Mine is likely an out of date version (though a version I wish to keep, as the server I am playing on hasn't updated yet).