Extra modifiers in 1.10

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
N

Nemis05

I'm wondering if there's a way to get extra modifiers in Tinkers' Construct in 1.10.
I saw some people suggesting making the tool of magical wood, but in the pack I'm playing (Direwolf20 1.10.2) that isn't possible.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
My understanding is that in 1.10+ extra modifiers are no longer a thing. Hopefully someone will contradict me, given my 1.10 experience is pretty limited, but last time I checked, it seemed you were being incentivized to think carefully about the tools you make, and you can't just make a does-everything-amazingly tool anymore.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
My understanding is that in 1.10+ extra modifiers are no longer a thing. Hopefully someone will contradict me, given my 1.10 experience is pretty limited, but last time I checked, it seemed you were being incentivized to think carefully about the tools you make, and you can't just make a does-everything-amazingly tool anymore.
Paper parts still allow more modifiers - I believe a full tool made out of paper will allow you to put 5 reinforcement plates on it, rendering it unbreakable.

Reactions: Pyure
N

Nemis05

Paper parts still allow more modifiers - I believe a full tool made out of paper will allow you to put 5 reinforcement plates on it, rendering it unbreakable.
I'd like to get a tool wich is both unbreakable and has some other modifiers like haste or sharp.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I've come to the conclusion that making an axe or pickaxe (probably shovel, too) with a single copper component and then putting moss on it is pretty close to unbreakable. It will mend itself by consuming XP, which it creates when it does what it was meant to do. Having a wooden tool part will also make it slowly repair, so if you do both, the effect is quite nice. Also note that the tool with moss will repair from any XP you collect, so if I need to quickly repair my pick, I chop down a few trees with my (copper binding) lumber axe.

Asking for an unbreakable tool that does other things we'll doesn't really fly in 1.10, which IMO is better for balance.

MrMonsterGuy18

Oct 3, 2016
The Grave
I don't know if it is a tinkers construct addon or not but there are item you can craft which if put on a a tool give it an extra modifier

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
If you use tinkers' tool leveling mod, you can gain extra modifiers over time (use = tool exp etc)

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
If you use tinkers' tool leveling mod, you can gain extra modifiers over time (use = tool exp etc)
This. I recently put a lumber axe in an EIO farming station with an octo cap planting spruce trees...things got nuts. It is currently unbreakable, has 5 modifiers remaining and I've got 550k spruce logs in my AE system.

Reactions: Pyure

triggerfinger12

Apr 17, 2017
Rock
I don't know if it is a tinkers construct addon or not but there are item you can craft which if put on a a tool give it an extra modifier
That would be adding a nether star, i believe. Also, I think there is still the gold block and diamond thing, and the notch apple and diamond block thing

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
That would be adding a nether star, i believe. Also, I think there is still the gold block and diamond thing, and the notch apple and diamond block thing
Back in 1.7.10, but not in 1.10.2. In 1.10.2 the nether star does something else... Soulbound I believe? So it stays with you if you die. The others simply don't work.

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
So someone made an addon because they were upset that there was balance in the mod?

Fine, doesn't mean anyone is going to use it.

Your version of balance and other's version of balance may differ. Remember the reason RF exists? Because the BC team didn't think storing MJ was balanced, and KL did. (Well, plus other reasons like server efficiency but..)
Also, it has 800k downloads.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Your version of balance and other's version of balance may differ. Remember the reason RF exists? Because the BC team didn't think storing MJ was balanced, and KL did. (Well, plus other reasons like server efficiency but..)
Also, it has 800k downloads.

...I don't even know where to begin trying to correct this, but in the end it would only derail the thread. Suffice to say the creation of RF was more a coder not wanting to keep carrying decimals through his code than any balance issue (hence why they continued to play nicely together all this time).

Your original statement, however, is correct. Everyone defines balance differently, especially when designing packs. That said, TiCo for 1.10 feels (to me) more balanced than it's 1.7 counterpart. Actual tradeoffs exist now, where before you could just build the best tool, then slap resources (maybe too few for the power) at it to make it godly.

My issue with add-ons for TiCo (and many add-on mods in general) is the internal balance within the mod is usually either skewed badly or outright disregarded when adding additional content (in this case materials and modifiers). Remember ExtraTiC and Signalum Crossbows? Hella fun, but completely broken in most packs. Remember when the nerf hammer dropped to fix the gross unbalance? You still see the occasional butthurt thread about it even now, usually asking what version to downgrade into to get their OP toys back. I'm not accusing the 1.10 add-on of this, as I've not played it. It's more of me being burned before.

Different strokes for different folks.