Extra Bees and RedPower, a look at automation

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DR3ADLORD

Jul 29, 2019
Hey I saw this post and saw someone mention some routers on here and personally when dealing with a large amount of machines that are connected, routers are the only way to go. I posted a video a little while ago about how you can use routers with apiaries (didn't add frames into them, as I was just going over the basic setup, etc). Of course there is much more that could be added to completely automate everything. I watched the other video in this post and while it was a good set up I would still use routers just because they are specific as I explain in the video. Hope this helps!

Spikednate12

Nov 14, 2012
Im just now starting is with bees on my new server i had the works on the old server, but i did them all by hand. Since i have five million projects at the current moment i was going to slightly automate mine in the beginning the manager looks very promising for this i might say.

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to use routers for large scale automation, like 20+ apiaries. They are somewhat annoying if you want to retrieve next generation, and you have to connect it to a piping system anyways, since Factorization doesnt have a native piping system besides you want to lay down your whole world with chests or furnaces :D

I just tested it in the newer versions and I couldnt add frames via routers anymore.. meh
but if someone is interessted in the numbers
  • 0 is princess
  • 1 is drone
  • 2 is combs
  • 3 top right
  • 4 bottom right
  • 5 bottom
  • 6 bottom left
  • 7 top left
  • 8 top
  • 9 - 11 frame slots
so in the end you have to use 7 extraktor routers to adress 2 - 8 and 2 insert routers for princess and drones. You want 2 routers cause else you jam the router with drones and will never get back your princess.
easiest is if you have 2 chests > 2 routers with eject module > 2 routers to insert > apiaries
note: this is for mass producing 1 specie, cause you have no real control which princess mates with which drone else other sorting systems like Logistic Pipes/Redpower Tubes/Buildcraft Pipes are better suited

Zivel

Jul 29, 2019
pgfRA.png

I automate mine with a wooden golem (bloody derpy mofo!), two iron autarchic or gates and some red pipe. The bottom gate is set to energy pulse when it gets a red pipe signal and the top gate pulses and sends a red pipe signal when it is queenless. The extra bees and combs fall on the ground and the wooden golem picks em up and puts them in a chest to be sorted or voided. I like having all my automation underground and this is the only way I have found to do it without log pipes which make things to easy imo. I have only just started automating this and so only have enough gates for one apiary at the moment but with an iron chest and a cobble pipe instead of a stone one you can get them to all sit side by side to or not if that is you desire. Saw Mindcrack trying to sort his out and I think mine is tidier :) (for some reason I am able to get bees in and out from the bottom which he could not do)

Junithorn

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to use routers for large scale automation, like 20+ apiaries. They are somewhat annoying if you want to retrieve next generation, and you have to connect it to a piping system anyways, since Factorization doesnt have a native piping system besides you want to lay down your whole world with chests or furnaces :D

I just tested it in the newer versions and I couldnt add frames via routers anymore.. meh
but if someone is interessted in the numbers
  • 0 is princess
  • 1 is drone
  • 2 is combs
  • 3 top right
  • 4 bottom right
  • 5 bottom
  • 6 bottom left
  • 7 top left
  • 8 top
  • 9 - 11 frame slots
so in the end you have to use 7 extraktor routers to adress 2 - 8 and 2 insert routers for princess and drones. You want 2 routers cause else you jam the router with drones and will never get back your princess.

easiest is if you have 2 chests > 2 routers with eject module > 2 routers to insert > apiaries
note: this is for mass producing 1 specie, cause you have no real control which princess mates with which drone else other sorting systems like Logistic Pipes/Redpower Tubes/Buildcraft Pipes are better suited

Me and a friend were testing this last night, the router and the gregtech advanced buffer both do not put frames in anymore.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
two causes:
1) more produce (apiaries with 3 frames have 70% of an alveary, if I'm not mistaken) and no problems regarding automatization and frames
2) heating/cooling to better accomodate your bees.

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
I don't get it. Why alvearies are better than normal apiaries?

1) they always give best production which you could only achieve in apiaries with the best frames.
2) you can add cooler/heater/swarmer
3) they are expensive as hell and expensive is always better as you know ;-)
4) and wiki says its faster, but havent felt anything signifikant since bees are time consuming anyways and one process takes ages :)

http://forestry.sengir.net/wiki/index.php?n=Machines.Alveary

benten2000

Jul 29, 2019
Sweet build Junithorn.
Trying something like this myself and it gives me some excellent ideas, what I am stuck on with your video is over time a pure bread queen will make the same drones over and over which then stack at the bottom of the apiary. When it gets to the full stack of 64 and the sorting machine does the usual pull out and to send princess via the top and drones to the bottom the system gets stuck and jammed.

I noticed you have a filter at the end of a row of 4 machines but after my testing I cant seem to figure out how to pull all the excess drones while keeping one in to make the queen and send all the excess to become liquid dna (only using redpower build for my system too if possible)

Junithorn

Jul 29, 2019
Sweet build Junithorn.
Trying something like this myself and it gives me some excellent ideas, what I am stuck on with your video is over time a pure bread queen will make the same drones over and over which then stack at the bottom of the apiary. When it gets to the full stack of 64 and the sorting machine does the usual pull out and to send princess via the top and drones to the bottom the system gets stuck and jammed.

I noticed you have a filter at the end of a row of 4 machines but after my testing I cant seem to figure out how to pull all the excess drones while keeping one in to make the queen and send all the excess to become liquid dna (only using redpower build for my system too if possible)

The drones are fed along the bottom of the apiaries and then into the filter at the end which only accepts drones, passing them down into gene pools.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
As soon as you start BNAing your bees the RP sorter goes out of the window it can't match anything up and I don't know why, I'm a huge RP fan but Apiary pipes just do everything without all the messing about.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Beware, alvearies will make you lazy. I get such great production out of mine that I happily haven't touched a frame since except when going for mutations. Just a wooden pipe, an apiarist pipe, and an autarchic gate on the bottom of each to rotate princesses/drones and spit out the combs into a pipe network leading to centrifuges and squeezers.

Running 12 cultivated and 4 distilled queens---fastest prod, elongated life---I keep 4 centrifuges and 4 squeezers running continuously.

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
Beware, alvearies will make you lazy. I get such great production out of mine that I happily haven't touched a frame since except when going for mutations. Just a wooden pipe, an apiarist pipe, and an autarchic gate on the bottom of each to rotate princesses/drones and spit out the combs into a pipe network leading to centrifuges and squeezers.

Running 12 cultivated and 4 distilled queens---fastest prod, elongated life---I keep 4 centrifuges and 4 squeezers running continuously.
you cant say that till you use 8 or so frame houseings and get a 2 speciality combs per minute

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
you cant say that till you use 8 or so frame houseings and get a 2 speciality combs per minute

I dislike making and dealing with frames so much that I would just add alvearies until I hit whatever production requirements I had. Crazy, but there you have it.

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
I dislike making and dealing with frames so much that I would just add alvearies until I hit whatever production requirements I had. Crazy, but there you have it.
AE makes my frames puts them in a ender chest and 2 routers fills the frame houseings 100% fully automated

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
Me and a friend were testing this last night, the router and the gregtech advanced buffer both do not put frames in anymore.
I dunno about apiaries, but routers can put frames into alvearies. You just have to use a machine filter, the tile.alveary.0 one is the actual alveary(where bees go in and output comes out), the tileextrabeealveary is the frame housings.