Exploration, treasure, and Adventure in FTB.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

runlvlzero

Jul 29, 2019
I like to explore, travel, and see whats over the next hill so to speak when playing games. Think classic roguelikes and adventure games.

FTB adds a ton of new things to explore. But I would like more.

Mods that add dungeons, monsters, treasure, or other weird unique things to find by roaming around are what I am interested in.

So far I have tried a large number of biome mods which are great.

Emasher's mods adds a few new interesting items, ruins, and blocks.

Mo'creatures is interesting but a bit overwhelming to the whole mod pack.

Twilight forest is a perfect mod. I would love ones that add new self contained dimensions just like this one does.

DivineRPG is another mod I looked at but its very overwhelming and detracts from the survival and low fantasy of normal minecraft. Its to pokemon like and MMOish. The whole mod looks unbalanced and a bad fit for FTB.

Thaumcraft is another model mod for adding to the charm of minecraft, it doesn't drastically change the game, but adds wisps, ruins, and plenty of new items that are well themed and balanced.

The few mods I have researched that add dungeons specifically are either amateurish or not compatible with FTB. There is one dungeon mod that was scripted with python to put in some very good and large dungeons, I think I would like to try that one with FTB, does anyone know what it is and have any experience with it and FTB?

Specifically I like a good reason to go exploring caves and the overland. I have no problem adding mods into the FTB pack.

I would like to know are there any other explorers out there, what mods do you love and just have to add into FTB yourself? Please post the names of some mods I should check out.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to know are there any other explorers out there, what mods do you love and just have to add into FTB yourself? Please post the names of some mods I should check out.

The HarvestCraft series is really nice to add loads more types of trees and food, which makes adventuring a bit easier.

I have yet to really tap into the More Dungeons area of mods, but there are a LOT of them out there. Hopefully someone else can post up some for you. Good luck!

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Looks like Chocolatin's Better Dungeons mod might be worth looking into. I played it a while back. It did have a bug where there was unbearably low frame rate (less than 1 FPS) in Mystcraft dimensions, but hopefully that's fixed now.

Emasher's mods don't look too bad.[DOUBLEPOST=1362430103][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, if you like the Twilight Forest, you might want to check out Tropicraft. Totally different design philosophy, I'm guessing it'll be too different, but it's hilarious to take a look at anyway.

MrAndrew420

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I was going to suggest Chocolate Quest/Better Dungeons as I'm an explorer/adventurer myself (I never get very far with worlds. I explore til I get bored and move on to a new world. Makes me sick :p), but since Whovian beat me to it, let me suggest Ruins being maintained by AtomicStryker. It adds a good bit to see while you are exploring.

-edit-
Wanted to note that with Choclatin's Better Dungeon mod you might take a good hit when a Dungeon is loaded into the world. This might not be the case still since I haven't used the mod since 1.2.5, but still, you have been warned.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I was going to suggest Chocolate Quest/Better Dungeons as I'm an explorer/adventurer myself (I never get very far with worlds. I explore til I get bored and move on to a new world. Makes me sick :p), but since Whovian beat me to it, let me suggest Ruins being maintained by AtomicStryker. It adds a good bit to see while you are exploring.

Ah, yes. I remember that mod! Another suggestion is DaftPVF's Floating Ruins.

Reactions: runlvlzero

runlvlzero

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome, thanks for the replies, I'm going to definitely try out Harvestcraft just for the new plants to plant everywhere =)

Chocalatin's Better Dungeons was one that I took a look at while googling around, but I think I will take a closer look at it and try it out, have not got a chance to watch a mod review on it yet. If its configurable enough for me I will definitely try it out! Looks good.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Aether 2 is currently being developed too, so you might want to look into that. The old version was horribly incompatible though, if I remember correctly.

I remember playing it (the 1.2.5 version) with a bunch of mods (though I never really got to the Aether in Survival, I mostly play Creative.) The only issue I experienced was the sky flashing between brown and blue. Which was really annoying, I'll admit.

MrAndrew420

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome, thanks for the replies, I'm going to definitely try out Harvestcraft just for the new plants to plant everywhere =)

Chocalatin's Better Dungeons was one that I took a look at while googling around, but I think I will take a closer look at it and try it out, have not got a chance to watch a mod review on it yet. If its configurable enough for me I will definitely try it out! Looks good.
From what I remember, you can enable/disable each structure from the config as well as change which biomes they can spawn in. Same goes for Ruins, except you have to fiddle with the files in each biomes folder instead of having a config for it (not as bad as it might sound).

And as for HarvestCraft... Dowwit

runlvlzero

Jul 29, 2019
From what I remember, you can enable/disable each structure from the config as well as change which biomes they can spawn in. Same goes for Ruins, except you have to fiddle with the files in each biomes folder instead of having a config for it (not as bad as it might sound).

And as for HarvestCraft... Dowwit

Hehe, yeah, just watched Etalyx's review of Chocalatin's mod. I really dig the traps ;p Love that. And the fact that killing mobs can get you diamonds hehe (really great if you like to do that and don't mind ignoring the exploity-ness) =)

Also going to try ruins, multiple files to config are fine. Particularly when they allow more finer grained control over the mod. Anyway I was really scratching my head as to what to do with minecraft. The advice you guys gave me pointed me in the direction I want to go! Thanks!

Might try the floating islands, but on extremely rare settings. Like 1 in 500sq blocks, or 1 in 1000sq blocks.

Wondering if there's a way to configure chests to drop machine parts, like advanced machine blocks .01% of the time... Would be neat to go dungeon exploring for a pulverizer =)

MrAndrew420

Jul 29, 2019
Hehe, yeah, just watched Etalyx's review of Chocalatin's mod. I really dig the traps ;p Love that. And the fact that killing mobs can get you diamonds hehe (really great if you like to do that and don't mind ignoring the exploity-ness) =)

Also going to try ruins, multiple files to config are fine. Particularly when they allow more finer grained control over the mod. Anyway I was really scratching my head as to what to do with minecraft. The advice you guys gave me pointed me in the direction I want to go! Thanks!

Might try the floating islands, but on extremely rare settings. Like 1 in 500sq blocks, or 1 in 1000sq blocks.

Wondering if there's a way to configure chests to drop machine parts, like advanced machine blocks .01% of the time... Would be neat to go dungeon exploring for a pulverizer =)
I think there may actually be a way to decide dungeon loot with Chocolate Quest in the config.

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Jul 29, 2019
The HarvestCraft series is really nice to add loads more types of trees and food, which makes adventuring a bit easier.

I have yet to really tap into the More Dungeons area of mods, but there are a LOT of them out there. Hopefully someone else can post up some for you. Good luck!
I love Pam's HarvestCraft mod! One of the things I miss when playing FTB :/

Nemesis688

Jul 29, 2019
There is also Battle Towers. It just adds large towers that you fight your way up to a golem. A lot of time I don't find anything good in the chests until the top one. The default config makes the towers way too common I feel and they spawn in all dimensions.

runlvlzero

Jul 29, 2019
Aye to the battle towers, I looked at all of the mods maintained by AtomicStryker on his personal webpage and their all good! I'm going to give ropes+ a try also for the grappling hook =)

Cisco78

Jul 29, 2019
Any idea if Chocs. Better Dungeons effects Thaumcraft spawns? We've had Mo Creatures installed and have had trouble with zombie brains...

I'm a huge adventurer and better dungeons would be a perfect addition to our server.

runlvlzero

Jul 29, 2019
Any idea if Chocs. Better Dungeons effects Thaumcraft spawns? We've had Mo Creatures installed and have had trouble with zombie brains...

I'm a huge adventurer and better dungeons would be a perfect addition to our server.

I plan on testing and configuring them all, I will probably do that tomorrow. But I will let you guys know how well they all play together with FTB =)

Also I think anything that doesn't modify vanilla spawning should play fairly nicely with Thaumcraft.

Reactions: Cisco78

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Millenaire adds villages of different kind, and different cultures, I often explore my world a lot, just to find any villages and see the develop, sometimes even help the do so.
Not that great when you don't have any that are near where you build though, because they require you to be near in order to evolve, but it's always tons of fun to find those and the various lone buildings and ruins it adds.

runlvlzero

Jul 29, 2019
Aye, I have been holding off on Millenaire because it is a very complex looking mod, considering it has its own installer. But it looks like one of the best mods of all times for Minecraft.

nthdominion

Jul 29, 2019
I love Millenaire...but I have not been able to get it installed for a while. I wish that Mojang would have brought that group in instead of creating their own village mod.

Reactions: Whovian