Exploit?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Kiraaa

Jul 29, 2019
I have realized now that there are multiple ways to get infinite basic ores from spawners and I was wondering if it was considered a exploit. What I mean by this is like using a portal gun to bring witches from twilight forest and having a automatic killing system for them... Then taking the hoes and putting in a alloy furnace or filling up pigmen soulshard. These ores can then be used to get any other basic ore with thaumcraft transmutation so it seems pretty cheaty but was it intended?

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Not really an exploit- spawners work kinda slow, and only when a player is in range. You'll want a significant amount of time to get any serious resources out of them.

The rest of the functionality is intended, its not overly different from building a vanilla mob grinder and collecting the iron from zombies.
Soul shard spawned mobs don't give rare drops- so the only way to get metals is via pig zombies dropping gold.​

Thaumcraft transmutation is kinda lossy, and generates a lot of excess aspects [flux] if you're not careful.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I have realized now that there are multiple ways to get infinite basic ores from spawners and I was wondering if it was considered a exploit. What I mean by this is like using a portal gun to bring witches from twilight forest and having a automatic killing system for them... Then taking the hoes and putting in a alloy furnace or filling up pigmen soulshard. These ores can then be used to get any other basic ore with thaumcraft transmutation so it seems pretty cheaty but was it intended?
Eh, define intended. Did iChun intend for portal gun to move spawners? Yes. Did ShawDrgn intend to let you create custom spawners of monsters you kill? Yes. Did Eloraam intend that you use the alloy furnace to smelt stuff? Yes.

So, for all purposes, this was all intended.

Is it an exploit?

Depends on you.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Not really an exploit- spawners work kinda slow, and only when a player is in range. You'll want a significant amount of time to get any serious resources out of them.

The rest of the functionality is intended, its not overly different from building a vanilla mob grinder and collecting the iron from zombies.
Soul shard spawned mobs don't give rare drops- so the only way to get metals is via pig zombies dropping gold.​

Thaumcraft transmutation is kinda lossy, and generates a lot of excess aspects [flux] if you're not careful.
Actually, you do get iron from zombie spawners (at least, I do on the current version), and the drop rate isn't great, even from T5 spawners. I'm not getting anywhere near enough to touch my stocks from my exp farm. However, stacks and stacks of arrows for pure telum are, however, very welcome.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
You can create diamond, emerald, gold, iron, tin and copper out of 'nothing' with the scrap > scrapboxes > dispenser setup. All you need is a little bit of energy to drive the recyclers. And then there's UU matter. So I would hardly call going through the hassle of getting a spawner and killing what's coming out of them an exploit.

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
You can create diamond, emerald, gold, iron, tin and copper out of 'nothing' with the scrap > scrapboxes > dispenser setup. All you need is a little bit of energy to drive the recyclers. And then there's UU matter. So I would hardly call going through the hassle of getting a spawner and killing what's coming out of them an exploit.

... explain this dispenser setup please? :D

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
... explain this dispenser setup please? :D
Heh, build a wall of overclocked recyclers, feed them with junk/cobble from a IE, ship the scrap into a wall of packagers, send the resulting scrapboxes into a tover of dispensers and pulse those. Scoop up the junk on the bottom, filter out stuff like diamonds and rubbies. Rinse and repeat.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
... I will have to make this. Thank you very much.
:D

Use routers instead'a'pipes for less lag/faster operation, use the bandwidth+speed+item upgrades, some ejectors for pulling the stuff out into the next router as well.

Too bad IC doesn't play nice with the machine filter.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
You can type your own names into the machine filter if a machine doesn't appear automatically. Most of the misbehaving IC machines will work if you type in the machine name as it is.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Heh, build a wall of overclocked recyclers, feed them with junk/cobble from a IE, ship the scrap into a wall of packagers, send the resulting scrapboxes into a tover of dispensers and pulse those. Scoop up the junk on the bottom, filter out stuff like diamonds and rubbies. Rinse and repeat.

Emeralds you mean :)

My setup: 8 recyclers with 1 speed upgrade fed by 8 ignius extruders that generate cobble. With 1 speed upgrade the recyclers are just a bit faster than the cobble gens. The resulting scrap gets sent through BC pipes to a chest next to an automated crafting table which produces scrapboxes. The scrapboxes are sent to a dispenser (single one is enough for the amount of scrap I produce) which 'unpacks' them into a little pit with a obsidian pipe below. That pipe feeds it into a sorting system. Carts and helmets go into an blulectric alloy furnace to be smelted into ingots, which go into my sorting system. The ore / dusts I get also go into my sorting/processing system, together with the other stuff that's somewhat valuable (leather, feathers, diamonds, emeralds, coal dust, etc.). Left over is the 'crap' (soulsand, netherrack, wooden hoes etc.) and this gets fed back into the recyclers. The recyclers also feed into my mass fab but that's turned off because I have more UU matter than I have a use for.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Note, if you're playing on a server, your server admin will love you for doing this. Definitely.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
:D

Use routers instead'a'pipes for less lag/faster operation.

Personally I dislike routers because they 'magically' transport stuff instead of requiring pipes to do so. But for me "pipes" transporting goodies is pretty much the whole reason to play FTB :)

Note, if you're playing on a server, your server admin will love you for doing this. Definitely.

There's no issue with this at all. Doesn't create lag unless you manage to screw up and spew entities all over the place.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
You can type your own names into the machine filter if a machine doesn't appear automatically. Most of the misbehaving IC machines will work if you type in the machine name as it is.
Ooooh, neat. Should've known sooner :D. Thanks!
Yeah, it's like coming to someones party and giving a hearty slap across the face to every girl present.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
There's no issue with this at all. Doesn't create lag unless you manage to screw up and spew entities all over the place.
Yeah problem is that the items have a memory footprint even in the pipes. Second problem is that for this to be worth it at all it has to be pretty darn big and has to create a lot of items. Third, there's a step where you're actually dispensing everything on the ground.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah problem is that the items have a memory footprint even in the pipes. Second problem is that for this to be worth it at all it has to be pretty darn big and has to create a lot of items. Third, there's a step where you're actually dispensing everything on the ground.

Just a bit of memory isn't a problem. You can have craptons of items in pipes without any lag. But when they're on the ground it's a different matter.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Emeralds you mean :)

My setup: 8 recyclers with 1 speed upgrade fed by 8 ignius extruders that generate cobble. With 1 speed upgrade the recyclers are just a bit faster than the cobble gens. The resulting scrap gets sent through BC pipes to a chest next to an automated crafting table which produces scrapboxes. The scrapboxes are sent to a dispenser (single one is enough for the amount of scrap I produce) which 'unpacks' them into a little pit with a obsidian pipe below. That pipe feeds it into a sorting system. Carts and helmets go into an blulectric alloy furnace to be smelted into ingots, which go into my sorting system. The ore / dusts I get also go into my sorting/processing system, together with the other stuff that's somewhat valuable (leather, feathers, diamonds, emeralds, coal dust, etc.). Left over is the 'crap' (soulsand, netherrack, wooden hoes etc.) and this gets fed back into the recyclers. The recyclers also feed into my mass fab but that's turned off because I have more UU matter than I have a use for.
I have a similar setup, but I send the wooden tools to a sawmill to convert to planks and sawdust (to turn to charcoal). Planks will either help feed my boiler (which powers a magma crucible which feeds a geo-therm generator for the little IC power I need), or get feed back to scrapping.
I need to setup a system to put the single-use batteries to use and do something with those plantballs.