Excessive Lag Only in part of my Base

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

CobaltAlchemist

Jul 29, 2019
Basically, I never had a problem in the beginning or basically anywhere in Feed the Beast. I have a very high end computer (4.0ghz 8 Core with a HD7850 graphics card from AMD) so I can't imagine that feed the beast should ever run this horribly on my computer. The thing is, whenever I'm near my processing part of my base, my frame rate goes between 15-20 FPS where as if I simply walk several blocks away and don't look in that direction, my frame rate goes back up to 30+. I've tried Optifine, Advanced OpenGL and not, and have been trying to solve this for a long time now. If necessary, I can give the world as a download if anyone wants to search it and tell me what's going on.

Further details:
Running Ultimate pack on a server for friends (it lags even when I'm alone on the server)
Never happened until around the time that I started breeding bees and setting up applied energistics systems, but I honestly doubt that AE is the issue since it was getting bad before I set it up.
Most of my base is concentrated in a 60x60x60 floating cube in the sky and includes most FTB machines including a Fusion Reactor near the top with full automation that never caused me lag previously.

If anyone could help I'd be extremely grateful!!! I just can't find the cause of the problem on my own...

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
No matter how good your computer is it's possible to push it to it's limit.

Advanced geometry can cause lag. If you have alot of fences or UE machines that might be causing it.

Advanced open GL should fix that though...

Not a clue. Lots of entities can cause lag if you look at them. Like things going through pipes, or just mobs.

CobaltAlchemist

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed, that limit is what made me try to go after Optifine and attempt to potentially see if I could make things work out with better multicore support, but that didn't work which I thought was rather odd.

I don't have much advanced geometry apart from my applied energistics pipes and the plethora of railcraft steam engines (which is in a totally different area from the laggy spot)

My home was overrun by mobs before I started lighting it up better, but now it only has one or two zombies roaming around. I also rarely ever use normal pipes anymore ever since using Applied Energistics.

My best guess is that I'm doing something horribly wrong, but I'm having an extremely hard time pin pointing the source of the problem. I think for now I'm going to try to disable some animations and see if that works.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
What's the types of automation that you have?

if you're using buildcraft or RP tubes, then this is loading up item entity tiles as they're being transported. So the entire output from a quarry is quite easily able to cause lag this way, especially stone pipes or RP tubes due to their speed.

Nemesis688

Jul 29, 2019
I have a laggy part of my base too. I determined it was my three bulelctric engines that I had there. Once I removed them it made that area run a lot more smoothly. I now have them in an area I hardly ever go to.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Basically, I never had a problem in the beginning or basically anywhere in Feed the Beast. I have a very high end computer (4.0ghz 8 Core with a HD7850 graphics card from AMD) so I can't imagine that feed the beast should ever run this horribly on my computer. The thing is, whenever I'm near my processing part of my base, my frame rate goes between 15-20 FPS where as if I simply walk several blocks away and don't look in that direction, my frame rate goes back up to 30+. I've tried Optifine, Advanced OpenGL and not, and have been trying to solve this for a long time now. If necessary, I can give the world as a download if anyone wants to search it and tell me what's going on.

Further details:
Running Ultimate pack on a server for friends (it lags even when I'm alone on the server)
Never happened until around the time that I started breeding bees and setting up applied energistics systems, but I honestly doubt that AE is the issue since it was getting bad before I set it up.
Most of my base is concentrated in a 60x60x60 floating cube in the sky and includes most FTB machines including a Fusion Reactor near the top with full automation that never caused me lag previously.

If anyone could help I'd be extremely grateful!!! I just can't find the cause of the problem on my own...

1. Minecraft only uses 1 core. So you could have 100 cores and it wouldn't matter. (FTB would run amazing for 98% of the community even with CPU vampire mods if MC was multicore)
  2. Minecraft alone works fine with one core on a moderate CPU, however due to the horrid inefficiencies with mods and the clusterfuck that is some FTB packs bugs, otherwise easy processes will take orders of magnatude longer to process or worse just sit and loop sucking away as much CPU power as possible each tick.
  3. Your GPU is irrelevant unless you're running shaders. Any 50$ GPU will run FTB at 60fps+ given the following:
  4. A strong CPU architecture. (Phenom or Phenom II aint gonna cut it even at 4Ghz, FX may struggle in some parts without an overtclock to 4.5; not always easy with that many core CPUs)
  5. Finding and solving bad logic in design in your base that will cause 'cpu leak'.
If possible overclock your CPU, but that is mostly just 'painting over' the stain, when you really want to find a good stain remover first.

Reactions: martyyp

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
I was going to point out that bees can generate a lot of particles (which can be turned off in a config if that's a problem), when it struck me: I haven't seen a bee flying around for ages, though I've never tried to disable them. Not since the time when Minecraft magically decided to stop being buggy and show my GUI at the correct size when windowed, in fact, something that'd been driving me mad for weeks until I gave up on it.

Well, whatever, it's done wonders for my framerate.

In the forestry configs, common.conf has a section called Performance. Change performance.particleFX.enabled=true to false to remove the bee particles.

CobaltAlchemist

Jul 29, 2019
What's the types of automation that you have?
if you're using buildcraft or RP tubes, then this is loading up item entity tiles as they're being transported. So the entire output from a quarry is quite easily able to cause lag this way, especially stone pipes or RP tubes due to their speed.

My entire base is generally automated via Applied Energistics (besides a smaller part which I rarely visit that is ran by buildcraft due to bees not working nicely with AE at the moment). However, I do have 2 quarries hooked up to an enderchest that gets the contents drawn out by two import busses and get process everything before sending it to another location via enderchests again.

1. Minecraft only uses 1 core. So you could have 100 cores and it wouldn't matter. (FTB would run amazing for 98% of the community even with CPU vampire mods if MC was multicore)
  2. Minecraft alone works fine with one core on a moderate CPU, however due to the horrid inefficiencies with mods and the clusterfuck that is some FTB packs bugs, otherwise easy processes will take orders of magnatude longer to process or worse just sit and loop sucking away as much CPU power as possible each tick.
  3. Your GPU is irrelevant unless you're running shaders. Any 50$ GPU will run FTB at 60fps+ given the following:
  4. A strong CPU architecture. (Phenom or Phenom II aint gonna cut it even at 4Ghz, FX may struggle in some parts without an overtclock to 4.5; not always easy with that many core CPUs)
  5. Finding and solving bad logic in design in your base that will cause 'cpu leak'.
If possible overclock your CPU, but that is mostly just 'painting over' the stain, when you really want to find a good stain remover first.

Yeah I heard about the horrible threading in minecraft so that's why I attempted to use Optifine (didn't know it only multithreaded chunk loading :()
I figured I'd just include any potentially relevant system specs just in case. I know for a fact it's not a RAM problem since I've upped it to 4.0GB and I doubt it'll use any more than that.
One major concern I have is that when I look at Task Manager and separate the CPU usage by cores, none of them are maxed out and the utilization is at about 25% (which would be expected if the server and client both ran on a maxed out core), but all the cores are at around 25% (eyeballing it) which makes me wonder if it could potentially be something else?
This entire problem is infuriatingly confusing and it makes no sense at all why it should lag this horrendously.

I've tried overclocking my CPU before, but it got irritated with me and kept crashing my computer so we have an agreement to leave each other alone now. I was looking forward to seeing if my CPU had good binning, but I guess not >_<

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
That is relevant to chuck loading speed. Chunks are going to generally be loaded when sitting around in your base, no?

It depends on your settings, the size of your facilities. Every little bit helps. Flying at a moderate altitude can really demonstrate just how unfortunately ineffective MC chunk loading really can be. It's the reason I don't use any shader mods...they can make the game look quite nice if you spend all your time with your feet on the ground. Spend some time flying around and all of a sudden it doesn't look so good anymore. Chunk loading can have a big impact on things and if you've got buggy mods AND large facilities AND sluggish chunk loading, it adds up to a pretty miserable experience.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
My entire base is generally automated via Applied Energistics (besides a smaller part which I rarely visit that is ran by buildcraft due to bees not working nicely with AE at the moment). However, I do have 2 quarries hooked up to an enderchest that gets the contents drawn out by two import busses and get process everything before sending it to another location via enderchests again.

Yeah I heard about the horrible threading in minecraft so that's why I attempted to use Optifine (didn't know it only multithreaded chunk loading :()
I figured I'd just include any potentially relevant system specs just in case. I know for a fact it's not a RAM problem since I've upped it to 4.0GB and I doubt it'll use any more than that.
One major concern I have is that when I look at Task Manager and separate the CPU usage by cores, none of them are maxed out and the utilization is at about 25% (which would be expected if the server and client both ran on a maxed out core), but all the cores are at around 25% (eyeballing it) which makes me wonder if it could potentially be something else?
This entire problem is infuriatingly confusing and it makes no sense at all why it should lag this horrendously.

I've tried overclocking my CPU before, but it got irritated with me and kept crashing my computer so we have an agreement to leave each other alone now. I was looking forward to seeing if my CPU had good binning, but I guess not >_<

Change the chunk loading from multi-core to default in the config and see if that solves your problem.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019

[Snip]

I'm not entirely sure of the load applied energistics causes for the computer, however just thinking of it now, You're also hosting the server on that computer yes?
Did your lag correlate with something else, for example a modpack update.
It may not be client side which is causing the lag for your computer.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Odd question, but it could be the source of your problem. I know I helped a few people on the FTB sub reddit this way.
How much memory have you allocated for the server and the client? How many players are on the server at max?
Client should never ever need to go above 2 gigs, and 1 is enough for just about anything other than 128x or higher texture packs. The server should have between 512mb and 1 gig per client.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
It depends on your settings, the size of your facilities. Every little bit helps. Flying at a moderate altitude can really demonstrate just how unfortunately ineffective MC chunk loading really can be. It's the reason I don't use any shader mods...they can make the game look quite nice if you spend all your time with your feet on the ground. Spend some time flying around and all of a sudden it doesn't look so good anymore. Chunk loading can have a big impact on things and if you've got buggy mods AND large facilities AND sluggish chunk loading, it adds up to a pretty miserable experience.

I dont think you understand the problem. Youre talking about a very indirect issue. Its like someone is bleeding from a gunshot wound to the leg and youre talking about buying them a beer. Great man! Not gonna solve the issue, but the beer might take the edge off. someone please call an ambulance

You seem to be talking from a prospective of a not really great computer where chunk loading would be more of an issue. On an FX or i5 or better CPU, it simply isnt. Chunk loading even on default is quick. The only reason it is there is for med to lowend multicores. On higherend chips the impact is much less due to the chip having enough brute force to get that process out of the way before it impacts other things. OP doesn't have a chunk loading issue. He has a xyz mod/block/combinationthereof vamping his CPU issue. This is from experience working with lowend and highend systems with FTB. Multicore chunk loading should be on by default if isnt not causing other problems (it does sometimes, like loading chunks slower on some systems). But even IF the chunks are loading slowly, it would never impact a system like his to that degree or in that manner. In the end, it at best offsets the chunk loading to another core. This does nothing for the meat of the problem; mods fighting with each other or recursion happening in a system that’s causing a torrent of unneeded checks and arithmetic every tick. This would include entities leaking out of pipes or looping in pipes gradually adding more and more *coughBCcough*

Not to mention OP said "The thing is, whenever I'm near my processing part of my base, my frame rate goes between 15-20 FPS" meaning it has nothing to do with chunk loading. All evidence points to what I said. Game over man, game over.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
I dont think you understand the problem. Youre talking about a very indirect issue. Its like someone is bleeding from a gunshot wound to the leg and youre talking about buying them a beer. Great man! Not gonna solve the issue, but the beer might take the edge off.

I don't think you're keeping track of the context. You stated that Minecraft doesn't use multi-threading. I pointed out that it can/does if it's using OptiFine.

That's the end of the story. I didn't say multi-threading was the problem or the solution. I just commented on your statement about MC not using multithreading.

PCPuddin

Jul 29, 2019
My best advice would be if the frame rate lag is bearable just wait for the packs to update because as many people know forge has done some magnificent things with its rendering in its newest version.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I heard about the horrible threading in minecraft

Minecraft doesn't have "horrible threading". Games generally are singlethreaded because making a game multithreaded is a rather complex endeavour. For Vanilla MC it's really not needed anyway. Mods themselves could easily add multithreading to some of their own logic but unfortunately a lot of modder are amateurs that don't really want to touch multithreading because it's complex. Mods are causing the CPU load and modders should be the ones who keep this in mind. Unfortunately a lot of them don't really care about it at all (fortunately people like KingLemming do and try to solve the biggest issues).

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Now I remember where a lot of my own performance issues with the ultimate pack started: the Voxel mods. As soon as I disabled all of the Voxel mods (and added Rei's Minimap to make up some of the functionality) a lot of my fps issues went away.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
Java uses multicores... I am pretty sure when you launch minecraft you can use java arguments like -XX: ParallelGCThreads=8 This will let java use more then one core to process the game. I notice a pretty big speed increase when i do this.