Etho's FTB LP

graydaze

Jul 29, 2019
As I watch etho play the modpack, I can already tell he's going to exploit alot of quirks and imbalances when you have a pretty large modpack, especially when many of them have redundant functions and bring them to light on his videos. Like whats the point of hardmode gregtech when another mod can perform the same functions at a much lower cost is available. Use a fillter instead of a quarry, its faster, needs less power, and much cheaper to make. Do you guys think his LP may influence mod makers and the mod packers on how to balance their mods and configure their packs in the future?

DR3ADLORD

Jul 29, 2019
Yes I do because I was about to use one of the imbalances using the different packs. For instance I was about to use the fact you can compress one sand -> one sandstone -> Pulverize -> sand (w/ 10% chance of Niter -> 2 salt peter + sand = fertilizer).
**The above was fixed because I just went in to expand on my design and found I was being rapidly depleted of sand and was curious why and looked in the compressor and found it used four sand now instead of one. The change is also represented in NEI [for the mindcrack pack].

Now the above is easily exploited but I disagree with the change due to the fact we should be able to get four sand from one sandstone if energy is put into the system. Even due to the fact that the reaction [1 sandstone -> 4 sand] is spontaneous {Does NOT mean instant in chemistry, it only means the reaction will go forward without energy}.
If you want an example of such a thing IRL, it's diamonds converting back to graphite. Graphite is the more stable substance structurally speaking even though it takes a really long time for the diamond to convert back it does so without requiring energy, aka spontaneous.

TL;DR While the exploitable system is nice and provides many uses it is an exploit and should be fixed, but I think macerators, grinders, pulverizers, etc. should be able to get 4 sand from one sandstone.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it just reminds of the good old macerator + EE2 in 1.2.5, where blaze rods/bones could net way more in the end than what you put as input.

For sand <-> sandstone, you need 4 sand to make a sandstone manually, why should it only require one in a machine? energy won't make matter appear out off thin air.

But if you really are running out of sand, I suggest you macerate (or equivalent) some cobble, or blast furnace some gravel, as it will net you sand at the cost of a little energy.

TruculentMC

Jul 29, 2019
It would have been nice if the expensive Pulverizer and Smelter recipes were enabled in the MindCrack pack (adds diamonds to the cost) as it makes the early game much more balanced between IC2 and TE. Too late now I guess.
And the Filler has always been OP, even since the BC2 days.

I'm looking forward to Etho figuring out all the tips and tricks, it's fun to watch him struggle with things like the Land Marks, but I can't wait to see what he comes up with once he's got all the mods figured out.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
It's funny how Baj thought of the filler thing and Etho gets all the credit :p
I did the filler thing by accident a couple of months ago and immediately went looking for a config option to turn it off, which is there in the BC config.

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
Server admins can kill the OPness of fillers while maintaining the functionality of humdrum clearing/filling that they should be used for. You can configure them to destroy mined items rather then drop them. This also helps eliminate the lag associated with people using them to mine and not knowing what they're doing.

I'd suggest future FTB packs enable this in the config:

# If true, Filler will destroy blocks instead of breaking them.
B:filler.destroy=false

I personally use fillers to clear large areas, and to fill large cave networks, and not to get the resources.

DR3ADLORD

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it just reminds of the good old macerator + EE2 in 1.2.5, where blaze rods/bones could net way more in the end than what you put as input.

For sand <-> sandstone, you need 4 sand to make a sandstone manually, why should it only require one in a machine? energy won't make matter appear out off thin air.

But if you really are running out of sand, I suggest you macerate (or equivalent) some cobble, or blast furnace some gravel, as it will net you sand at the cost of a little energy.

Diamonds are compressed matter with lots of energy. No you arent creating matter.. you are compressing it. And if you are going along that route where is the other 2 sand from the sandstone in the pulverizer since "Matter cannot be created nor destroyed"? Now I would understand if when you got niter you only got 3 sand.. but that's not the case.

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
Server admins can kill the OPness of fillers while maintaining the functionality of humdrum clearing/filling that they should be used for. You can configure them to destroy mined items rather then drop them. This also helps eliminate the lag associated with people using them to mine and not knowing what they're doing.

I'd suggest future FTB packs enable this in the config:

# If true, Filler will destroy blocks instead of breaking them.
B:filler.destroy=false

I personally use fillers to clear large areas, and to fill large cave networks, and not to get the resources.
Having run a server, I experimented with that setting once, and found that when fillers didn't drop blocks, no-one used fillers.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Energy cells make fillers a lot more usefull in clearing terrain/speed building. With this setting set to false it could make terrible lag machine. I once tried using filler with energy cell (100 MJ output) in multiple dense ore world on creative. Fortunately I had linking book selected.

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
Having run a server, I experimented with that setting once, and found that when fillers didn't drop blocks, no-one used fillers.
Wouldn't this be problem solved then? If the only use for them is to actually FILL a space or a clear a space quickly and cheaply then everyone's beef with them is negated.

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
Wouldn't this be problem solved then? If the only use for them is to actually FILL a space or a clear a space quickly and cheaply then everyone's beef with them is negated.
You misunderstand me. No-one used fillers at all. They didn't use them for anything, including their intended purpose.

Most people don't have a need to fill in large rectangular areas, and by the time people have any need to clear large areas they would use a quarry, as most people can't stand the thought of losing ores.

(And then there was the one guy that used fillers to chop 1 wide slices every 4 blocks, and then would go along and mine any exposed ores.)

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
You misunderstand me. No-one used fillers at all. They didn't use them for anything, including their intended purpose.

Most people don't have a need to fill in large rectangular areas, and by the time people have any need to clear large areas they would use a quarry, as most people can't stand the thought of losing ores.

(And then there was the one guy that used fillers to chop 1 wide slices every 4 blocks, and then would go along and mine any exposed ores.)

Exactly. Without the ability to have a filler drop blocks, why not just use a turtle to do the same thing. They at least collect the stuff they chop down.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
also like doc or nebs said, gregtech just makes stuff take more procces to obtain, and so is a waste of time...

They want to put out a lot of content and not show boring long crafting stuff... they add gregtech on hard

Mindcrack logic

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Well, hard recipes do make "old timers" more inclined to check other mods too, not just go the usual and overly repeated way of "Get a macerator and a generator, then start doing stuff".

I quite like the approach that you need more materials to make the most stable system out there (let's face it, EU are more reliable than MJ, at least until you can make redstone conduits).
I get that it can be boring for most people though, but I personally find it more fun to have that make me out off my normal route and build other stuff while trying to get to the IC2 machines and power.
The only thing I miss is the drill, as it now requires a lot more to make, but it does put a weight to using the RP picks and enchanting them, so it's fine by me.

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
let's face it, EU are more reliable than MJ, at least until you can make redstone conduits

Actually, nope.
At the start, when you would be using a generator, make a hobbyist's steam engine, running off of charcoal.
Make a sawmill ASAP, and start running everything on planks instead of charcoal.

When you would upgrade to solars or windmills, make a steve's carts woodcutter.

Tabu

Jul 29, 2019
I think the words balance and overpowered are the epitome of annoying cliches...

I don't play a game for balance... I play to have fun. Truth is none of us are forced to use any mod. There has already been a very fun mod ruined because nitwits cried about it being OP, as if you really had to exploit that 1400 EMC per second?

When are people going to learn the meaning of self control? When are people going to learn that some people out there use mods in moderation. I love to build large structures in Survival. Now I can't just take a diamond, throw it in a condenser and get a load of bricks... All because something was labeled OP and imbalanced...

I know for sure these same nitwits, will try and come up with a response to this, mostly saying if it's in there I just HAVE to use it, I have to exploit, I have to come on every forum I find and cry about the results...

I understand what Greg tech is trying to do, in theory it is a great idea. the problem is it was implemented in the wrong way. I could get into how and why, but that is just a long wall of text that to be honest is not worth my time...

That is all, flame away.

Reactions: un worry and Hoff

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
I think the words balance and overpowered are the epitome of annoying cliches...

I don't play a game for balance... I play to have fun. Truth is none of us are forced to use any mod. There has already been a very fun mod ruined because nitwits cried about it being OP, as if you really had to exploit that 1400 EMC per second?

When are people going to learn the meaning of self control? When are people going to learn that some people out there use mods in moderation. I love to build large structures in Survival. Now I can't just take a diamond, throw it in a condenser and get a load of bricks... All because something was labeled OP and imbalanced...

I know for sure these same nitwits, will try and come up with a response to this, mostly saying if it's in there I just HAVE to use it, I have to exploit, I have to come on every forum I find and cry about the results...

I understand what Greg tech is trying to do, in theory it is a great idea. the problem is it was implemented in the wrong way. I could get into how and why, but that is just a long wall of text that to be honest is not worth my time...

That is all, flame away.
Might be true, but in multiplayer setting, you need to consider the enjoyment of all people, not the individual enjoyment.
That is something quite hard to achieve, because it basically stands on the basis that you need to be rewarded for your work, and not just have everything easily, else you would become bored quite fast.

Cieronph

Jul 29, 2019
I think exploits are fine, if people want to use them they can but will get bored quickly and ultimately end up leaving however people who don't exploit will probably end up having more fun in the end.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
Might be true, but in multiplayer setting, you need to consider the enjoyment of all people, not the individual enjoyment.
That is something quite hard to achieve, because it basically stands on the basis that you need to be rewarded for your work, and not just have everything easily, else you would become bored quite fast.

It's actually impossible to have a muliplayer environment that is enjoyable for everyone involved.
Yes, there can be a majority of things that multiple people enjoy but every single player is a unique individual. Every single one of them will enjoy different things. . You can never make an environment that everybody is happy with all the time.