Windows .exe [ERROR] Exception reading modpackfile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sagarat

Jul 29, 2019
Not trying to start an argument, but you did say the login system "stinks" and that it needs to be changed :/
And use multimc if you want to play :)

I think you are both correct.

There is a stinky flaw in the otherwise great launcher.

The Modpack is still in Beta anyway, so you would expect some issues like this to come about.

Dweller_Benthos

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, it should really have a "Play offline" option like minecraft itself does. Oh well, back to editing the texture pack.....

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
The Modpack is still in Beta anyway, so you would expect some issues like this to come about.

If it was indeed a Modpack Issue, which it isn't.

It is simply the inability to play the game in offline mode. It is strictly the inability of the launcher to allow you to play offline.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
I tried this, after downgrading to 1.4.2, it loads up but doesn't have forge or any other mods installed.

Edit:

OK nevermind, after clicking a bunch of things, it just started working :)

Sagarat

Jul 29, 2019
Same problem using the 1.0.6 launcher, haven't updated to 1.0.7 yet

If I were to guess why creeperhost is needed, I would wager that it has to do with updating the launcher, and updating the tabs at the top of the launcher. Notice that the "modpacks" tab and the "maps" tab (both of which are in part hosted off of creeperhost) are both unavailable, and I'm betting that when the texture pack tab becomes active that will be unavailable too, in this kind of situation. I would also wager this is an extension of the "no offline mode" pledge. (a feature, not a bug) If you can't contact creeper host then you must not be connected, and if you are not connected then you can't play anyway. Kind of double security just in case someone has a minecraft verification spoof-er?

Also I don't think FTB could really help with the minecraft servers going down, although that was trollishly bad timing.

No, it is the server before the user even gets to login. It is the server that hosts the mods for the modpack and the mpas. If you use vanilla, or some other modpack then you can still get to minecraft to login and play, just not FTB

What does that mean for SSP FTB Maps?

Does that mean that people with laptops with wifi only can't play single player maps unless they are next to a hotspot?

Legru

Jul 29, 2019
I'm up for playing offline too..
I play in my laptop in places with no hotspot... I have to make one with my phone just to launch FTB and once Minecraft started I can turn it off and play offline... I realy hope it gets changed...

Reenigne

Jul 29, 2019
What does that mean for SSP FTB Maps?

Does that mean that people with laptops with wifi only can't play single player maps unless they are next to a hotspot?

I'm not sure where laptops or wifi come into it, but right now, no one can play single player maps, whether they are next to a hot spot or not.

If you are asking whether you need to have a constant internet connection to play: I don't think that is the way it works, no. You do however need an internet connection to get into FTB so that you can login to the Mojang servers, and if you can't login to the Mojang servers, for whatever reason, then you can't play FTB because there is no offline mode.

But once you do successfully log in, you are golden, connect, login, disconnect, play.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
MultiMC now gives you an option to import directly from FTB. Point it to your FTB folder, select the FTBBETAA folder, give it a name, and you're done. Also will give you some time to prepare for FTB's updates (deleting user added mods in last update = uncool)

Tiwuno

Jul 29, 2019
It's been down for 2½ hours now. This seems like a pretty serious issue, will there be a way to get around this in the future (other than downloading yet another launcher) to prevent something like this from happening again?

Reenigne

Jul 29, 2019
I think you are both correct.

There is a stinky flaw in the otherwise great launcher.

It's been down for 2½ hours now. This seems like a pretty serious issue, will there be a way to get around this in the future (other than downloading yet another launcher) to prevent something like this from happening again?

Sources (the FTB Q&A page) say it's been fixed in the next version of the launcher, so this should no longer be an issue

thegarfish

Jul 29, 2019
How long will this take, xD... I am not often impatient, but I found this a few days ago and I love it.

Pandapocalypze

Jul 29, 2019
If you have trouble adding it to multimc this worked for me. Open the folder ftb is set to use and there will be a folder called FTBBETAA or whatever modpack you're using. Copy all the files inside of it. Open multimc and create a new instance, open its folder and paste all the ftb files in replacing the multimc ones. In the instMods folder delete minecraft forge and in multimc click edit mods then press the mcforge button and select build 355. Launch the instance and when it crashes open multimc and use multimc to downgrade it to 1.4.2 and it should work.
This worked for me, thank you. It crashed again for me after following these steps, so i hit 'rebuild jar' then it ran without issue.

MaxWayne

Oct 30, 2012
Not trying to start an argument, but you did say the login system "stinks" and that it needs to be changed :/
And use multimc if you want to play :)
but its not an argument to say "eat the dirt or die" (metaphoric) this is ftb and not multimc forum, so i'm at the right place with my question ;)

Basion

Jul 29, 2019
If you guys are still having issues, you can get the new launcher here. -link redacted- This one doesn't rely on CreeperHost's servers, so you can connect even without an internet connection.

I'm sorry, but as FTB is new, we really prefer the launcher only coming from our own sources for the point of quality control - even in difficult times like the present when the download may not be available.

-Ms. Laira

trhollywood

Jul 29, 2019
If you guys are still having issues, you can get the new launcher here. -Link redacted- This one doesn't rely on CreeperHost's servers, so you can connect even without an internet connection.

every thing looks good. back up and running :)

Argentwolf

Jul 29, 2019
If you have trouble adding it to multimc this worked for me. Open the folder ftb is set to use and there will be a folder called FTBBETAA or whatever modpack you're using. Copy all the files inside of it. Open multimc and create a new instance, open its folder and paste all the ftb files in replacing the multimc ones. In the instMods folder delete minecraft forge and in multimc click edit mods then press the mcforge button and select build 355. Launch the instance and when it crashes open multimc and use multimc to downgrade it to 1.4.2 and it should work.

Thank you! This worked for me after I followed the directions you provided, then selected "rebuild .jar" (multiple crashes before I tried the rebuild function).

EDIT: I didn't try the FTB launcher build Basion posted as it isn't an official build as far as I can tell... Please correct me if I am wrong.

nepocrates

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you! This worked for me after I followed the directions you provided, then selected "rebuild .jar" (multiple crashes before I tried the rebuild function).

EDIT: I didn't try the FTB launcher build Basion posted as it isn't an official build as far as I can tell... Please correct me if I am wrong.
I am not sure but it launched to I was happy

Basion

Jul 29, 2019

It was posted in IRC by FTB_Jenkins shortly after they locked down chat. At this point in time I couldn't tell you if it's official or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.