Equivalent Exchange/Other Ways to Get Ender Pearls

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Saphoreon

Jul 29, 2019
Every time I play a world on any FTB pack, or other ones like TPPI, about a few days in I always come to a point where I can't do anything else because I can't get ender pearls, which mods like Extra Utils and EnderIO rely way too much on. I don't really like the idea of hunting endermen, as it would take many irl days of grinding to get the ender pearls I need for things. I tried installing Equivalent Exchange 3 so I could transmute iron into pearls, but it's just too glitchy. Is there any way to get around the need for ender pearls, or at least a better way to produce them?
Thanks!

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
  • Ender Lilies to start out with(find them in Dungeon/Totem Circle/whatever Chests). Plant them on End Stone(Make it with the TiCo Smeltery with a couple Ender Pearls and Obsidian?) or better Ender Core, or find End Stone surrounding a Magic Bee hive deep underground in a "Magical" type biome.
  • Kill every Enderman you see with a Looting 3 Sword.
I usually get by with this up through the early game just fine.

• Get a whatits Sigil and get Cursed Earth. Set up a Cursed Earth mob farm with MFR Grinders. This will gain you enderpearls passively over time.
  • Set up a Auto-Spawner, Grinders and capture an Enderman in a Safari Net. Feeding this mob essense from the Cursed Earth Grinders and inserting the Safari net will spawn more Endermen for even more Ender Pearls.
By this time you will not need more pearls ever.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
It's called the End. Once you go there (and kill a dragon) you have all the pearls you want and more. Most mods that are gated by pearls area based off the idea that in order to use this level of technology, you must first be of an equivalent power level on other terms.

Otherwise, mods like XU, EnderIO, MFR, Draconic Evolution, and more allow you to either create super powered mob farms, create spawners for a particular mob, or both. Honestly, in most packs that include it, I rush the MFR Autospawner, then head to the Nether and bag a ghast (so I have unlimited tears for more nets), then bag the first enderman I see. Combined with a grinder, your mob drop needs are virtually eliminated, so long as you can power it (note that there is a TE dynamo that can run off mob essence and ghast tears - you see where this is going).

If those mods aren't in your pack, you can always resort to a vanilla enderman trap which uses their unique aggro mechanic to draw them to you. Google knows how and is more than willing to share.

mathchamp

Jul 29, 2019
Every time I play a world on any FTB pack, or other ones like TPPI, about a few days in I always come to a point where I can't do anything else because I can't get ender pearls, which mods like Extra Utils and EnderIO rely way too much on. I don't really like the idea of hunting endermen, as it would take many irl days of grinding to get the ender pearls I need for things. I tried installing Equivalent Exchange 3 so I could transmute iron into pearls, but it's just too glitchy. Is there any way to get around the need for ender pearls, or at least a better way to produce them?
Thanks!

Easiest way is to save up a dozen pearls or so (get looting if you can to speed this up), unlock the End and kill the dragon in the same way as you would in Vanilla (modded equipment can make the fight easier than it would be in Vanilla). Then feel free to farm Endermen whenever you need pearls (again, looting helps massively). I like to build a 3x3 ceiling 2 blocks high so Endermen can't reach me, then aggro every Enderman in range by looking at them and kill them with a sword (with looting if I have it), or preferably an AoE weapon such as a scythe (again with looting if you have it/can afford it). You can get a couple hundred pearls in a few minutes. Farm until you get bored, your inventory fills up, your sword breaks, or the Endermen decide to stop spawning near you. This should hold you pretty well unless you have a project that needs a very large number of Ender Pearls (e.g. high-end Big Reactors turbines). If you don't have looting, it's going to take a fair bit longer to get the same amount of pearls, but if you only need a few dozen it does not take prohibitively long.

Eventually you can just build an automated Enderman farm with MFR spawners (needs Essence), EnderIO powered spawners (don't need Essence but need significantly more RF), or whatever else you have available with the mods you are playing. Enderlilies are an option as well. Bees as well. While these are not nearly as fast as manually farming Endermen in the End (unless you make a huge farm), they will generate Ender Pearls continuously for you over time so you don't have to worry about periodically going to the End unless you need lots of pearls over a short timespan.

If you want to use a cursed earth farm specifically for pearls, build it in the End so you get lots of Endermen specifically (in the Overworld you will get other mobs and very few Endermen, which is good for farming mob drops in general but not really pearls - although you can use the cursed earth with MFR grinders to generate essence for an Enderman spawner).

Reactions: Bagman817

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I use a handful of mods for such a reason.
Of late, I'm using ChromaticCraft by Rekia because of it's Ender Forests; has a high chance of endermen spawning, and has pools of liquid ender which can be turned into more pearls.

Also, I suggest using EnderIO and it's sword 'The Ender', since, IIRC, it has a native increased chance to drop both mob heads and ender pearls.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Jeez... What ever happened to the good old-fashioned method?

Go out and kill endermen! :D

Reactions: rhn

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
ProjectE is awesome, but def a bit OP or cheaty or whatever phrase you prefer. I just learned the mod yesterday. Energy flowers, Collectors/Relays/Condenser. Here's the video I watched to learn it. Skip to 11:45 and watch from there, that's the good part. You basically just need a little coal, diamonds, obsidian and glowstone, from there you can work your way up until you're making just about anything, all thanks to the power of light (which is free LOL). As long as you have a single quantity of an item that you desire, you can make unlimited amounts via the Condenser.

A good strategy (I think anyways) is to collect Nether Lapis Ores (if that's in your modpack), turn them into Lapis blocks and feed those into the Condenser. Lapis has a very large EMC value and, at least in my modpack, it is very plentiful in the Nether down at lava level.

Reactions: immibis

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
If you use something like a Mystcraft linking book or a RFTools Teleporters, you don't even have to kill the dragon in the End. You can build your farm inside the island, so the dragon won't see you. Bring some cursed earth, a grinder, an Ender chest, and an Ender Generator with you, and you can build a self sustaining pearl fram that will keep your needs met. Do remember to chunk load if you want it on all the time.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I modtweaked a Thaumcraft crucible recipe for them using diamonds and the aspects found on obsidian so its eight obsidian and one diamond. Expensive but totally feasible. I switch to mob farms asap though.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
This is true, but boy oh BOY do I love that denk "0-1 enderpearls" drop chance combined with a low spawnrate for endermen in the firstplace.
If I wanted to run around doing everything myself and getting all grindy, I'd be playing vanilla!

In addition to modded MC, I do play vanilla, at least to get an idea for what the latest "tech" looks like.

I'm actually waiting for Vanilla+ :D

luigiguy360

Jul 29, 2019
In ender zoo there's ender fragments. 5 of those make 1 ender pearl.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk