Ender Tanks Mixing Colors

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

FeatheredSun

Jul 29, 2019
dw20 1.7.x
Ender Tanks are mixing channels, which is wreaking havoc on my fluid storage in general.

First noticed when I started getting lava (pumped into white/magenta/lblue) started showing up in the tank for essence input (white/yellow/lblue). Thinking that it was on the essence side, i switched that system's input to white/gray/lblue...and soon saw the lava return again.

Eventually, I just set up some tanks by themselves with nothing else around and disabled lava creation altogether. Then i MANUALLY put lava into an empty white/mag/lblue tank and saw it appear in white/gray/lblue. Then voided and tested with white/white/white. Same dump.

Did the same tests then with liquid poison and got the same results. It seems that certain colors will just flat-out dump to other colors.

This pretty much has wrecked any further plans for using these things, and is making me consider switching entirely to tesseracts.

Anyone else seen this kind of nonsense? Do we think it's correctable? I figured maybe Ender Storage or some other mod just maybe had some known/fixable channel assignment issues, so I might not have to abandon them altogether.

It would also be very telling if anyone could replicate this issue using the same colors in a DW20 world.

Thanks
FS

FeatheredSun

Jul 29, 2019
Linda, thanks for your testing. That helps narrow things down. You are awesome!

Originally, yeah, the tanks are side by side. The input tanks (ending in light blue) are sitting on drums, draining into the drums. Then an ender fluid conduit extracts from each drum to each output tank (ending in orange).

I figured there was crossflow, but close examination revealed no conduit cross connects (wrenched that way on purpose) and no color-combo duplication at the fluid storage area.

Which is what lead me to isolated testing in another part of the base, and the testing solely with tanks with two separate fluids (one of which - poison - I had never previously stored).

The next step is likely dismantling the system entirely. But before doing that, I'll post some pics. Kinda enthused about showing off my fluid control ideas anyway. :) I'll post those this weekend probably. Even if I switch hardware, we can still conduct some controlled tests and find out more.

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
have you messed with the dial on the tank it could cause the tank to output in to any tanks to the side

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
As mentioned above, it sounds like an issue of the side by side tanks outputting to one another. If your tanks are adjacent to one another, one with constant input will output into a tank that runs dry (if only for a tick), which can cause cross contamination as you described. If your conduits exporting from the tanks autopull, make sure the tanks are not set to output. If this still doesn't solve your issue, try spacing your tanks out a bit.

Pictures always help, and I always enjoy taking a look at how others engineer, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you've done (and helping troubleshoot it, too).

G

Gamermom050715

I am playing on Sky Factory 2.5.5 and I am having this issue. I am extracting fluids from fluid cows and transferring them via ender tanks. I have already started redoing my setup ...I thought maybe my ranchers were to close to each other and were "milking" the fluid cows in a different pen. but after reading this I am now thinking that the ender tanks themselves are too close here are some pictures...of whats left i have already started to break my setup up so.... anywho the top pic is how i had all the drums set up...i took most of the tanks off...but they all had tanks on top of each drum. each fluid had differ color for the top. the bottom pic is how the ranchers were set up.
2017-01-26_17.34.11.png
2017-01-26_17.34.27.png

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, the problem with putting Ender Tanks side by each occurs when one tank runs dry, if only for a moment. If the Tanks are set to autopull, they can pull from an adjacent tank if it's normal supply runs dry. If set to autopush, they can push into any adjacent tank who's supply runs dry. It's an unfortunate side effect of intended behavior.

It's best to either leave spaces between the tanks, or in the case of your drum line you could alternate between on top and in front of the drums, making sure the tanks and only input/output to the right drum.

missHPfan2

Jul 29, 2019
Another thing you could try if spacing them out takes too much space is staggering them, that is, have every other tank a block further forward or back than the others, creating a checkerboard pattern.