Ender Chest to Recycler

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I sometimes take this one step further. A third ender pouch that is filled back at my base with items I need for a build. That way as I take blocks out of the pouch the golems at my base refill the pouch for me.
Hehe nice. Usually use the lowtech option of woven forestry backpacks and then just a large pile of materials. :p But I like the idea.

Redius

Jul 29, 2019
Hehe nice. Usually use the lowtech option of woven forestry backpacks and then just a large pile of materials. :p But I like the idea.

I got away from backpacks, as they invariably are set to "fill" when I don't want them to be, and "empty" when I'm mining. Nothing is more annoying than picking up too much of something, dropping it, then spending 2 minutes trying to figure out where the excess went before you remember to check that damn backpack.

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
From what I read, you dont want items getting automatically taken from ME network, but you just want a place to manually dump stuff you want recycled.
Simplest(but a bit slow) way is as mentioned:
Enderchest
\Hopper/
Recycler

If you have multiple recyclers you could also use 2 routers. One router extracting items from Enderchest and ejecting it into other router. Second router then inserting into top of Recyclers.
Or you could put a router on top of every Recycler extracting from enderchest and ejecting down(This is what I usually use, higher bandwith to handle peak influx of cobble etc.). Instead of an enderchest I just use a normal chest with an ME storage bus on. I set the priority of the storage bus lower than the storage discs, so that system first fills up my preformatted disc, and once its full recycles rest. I can control which items are allowed to "overflow" into recyclers by adding them to the storage bus. Anything not preformatted on storage discs or in recyclers storage bus will then go to one of several non-formatted discs.

Drives with preforatted storage discs: Priority 10
Storage bus for recyclers: Priority 9
Me chests with non-formatted discs: 2-8
Never use priority 1, since I that way ensure nothing is filled into a newly added storage device before I can set priority.

Bank of 6 recyclers:
yGpQdvL.jpg

Theres actually 2 storage bus on my Obsidian chest. One normal for cobble etc. and one fuzzy for damaged bows, armor etc. Both priority 9.

GAvsUXf.png

All the ME drives are priority 10 and only hold preformatted discs.
The 3 ME Chests hold unformatted discs with priority 4,3,2. Left chest then fills up with random junk first, then second etc.
The drives that are glowing red are actually full and any new added item of that kind is then recycled.

That is a pretty sweet setup. Like, really sweet. I have a few questions, because I'm inspired to try something similar.
1) Are your preformatted disks all single items, or are some preformatted to hold several similar items? For example, would you have thaumcraft earth/air/fire/etc. shards all on a single drive together, or on separate disks? What about ingots, wood, etc? Also, what size storage are you using? Mostly 4's? Have a few bigger/smaller ones in there?

Please don't skimp on the detail, I'm completely slack-jawed with awe at how much I want to do something like this :)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
That is a pretty sweet setup. Like, really sweet. I have a few questions, because I'm inspired to try something similar.
1) Are your preformatted disks all single items, or are some preformatted to hold several similar items? For example, would you have thaumcraft earth/air/fire/etc. shards all on a single drive together, or on separate disks? What about ingots, wood, etc? Also, what size storage are you using? Mostly 4's? Have a few bigger/smaller ones in there?

Please don't skimp on the detail, I'm completely slack-jawed with awe at how much I want to do something like this :)

No not all discs are single items. But any item I'm getting in large enough quantities that would warrant recycling does have its own preformatted disc. Has to have, since one item would else just fill up the disc and prevent any of the other items in.
Example:
Single preformatted items: Cobble, Coal, Iron Ingot, Fire shard(sepperate one for each type of shard), Pumpkin, Cocoa, Diamond, Rubber, Apples, Egg, Bees wax and many many more.
Multiple items preformatted discs: BC Pipes, ME stuff, Microblocks wood, Microblocks stone, Dyes, Combs, Tools, Weapons, armor, Metal dust/nuggets buffer, Wispy essences.

I am storing Oak Wood and Oak planks on 2 sepperate discs. And I do have some birch for building in one of the junk chests. But I'm actually storing all other kinds of wood manually in a chest disconnected from the network. I like to collect interesting types of wood/saplings/leaves, but since ME system uses the Ore disctionary I have had it gopple up most my collection after it ran out of Oak wood ;(

As for the size of discs most of them are basic 1k discs. That equals 127 stacks of single item which is 8128 individual items, which is a plenty buffer for most items. However stuff that I predict I might need in larger amounts have larger discs. Its pretty easy to upgrade along the way should need be. Any items received while swapping out disc to a larger would just be recycled.
Some of the upgraded discs are:
Cobble, sand, dirt, sandstone, iron ingots:16k.
Copper, Gold, tin ingots: 4k
Most the multiple item preformatted discs are also 4k discs. Too many different items would swallow up all the capacity of the discs. This goes for the 3 junk ME chests too. Since several of them are often full of 64 different kinds of items, using a 1k disc would leave room for only a couple of each item.

As for all the farmed crops I'm using ME level emitters on the multifarms to stop production before it reaches full discs. Therefore those 1k discs actually never get full.
Same goes for some other produced items. Automated production of Glass, Oak planks, Charcoal etc is limited to a constant level of 2048 items by level emitters.

Reactions: Larmonade

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
If I may ask a follow-up question: how do you have your level emitters set up? I've just got a few interfaces in the basement with the relevant export busses and level emitters, but do you have a specific setup you use?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
If I may ask a follow-up question: how do you have your level emitters set up? I've just got a few interfaces in the basement with the relevant export busses and level emitters, but do you have a specific setup you use?
Not sure I get what you mean. I use level emitters lots of places. On export bus on furnaces, export bus on Force transport pipe autocrafting, on control blocks for multifarms and many other places.

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure I get what you mean. I use level emitters lots of places. On export bus on furnaces, export bus on Force transport pipe autocrafting, on control blocks for multifarms and many other places.

Ah, I see. For the some of the items that are crafted by the MAC, like if I want my network to always have a stash of torches, I have an export bus set to "craft only" that's pointed at an interface, and then set a level emitter against the export bus set to how many torches I want. For items like that, which don't have a block that crafts it, and don't have a block that needs it, that's the configuration I've been using to manage that stuff. I just re-read my post and I was really unclear about what I meant :p

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Ah, I see. For the some of the items that are crafted by the MAC, like if I want my network to always have a stash of torches, I have an export bus set to "craft only" that's pointed at an interface, and then set a level emitter against the export bus set to how many torches I want. For items like that, which don't have a block that crafts it, and don't have a block that needs it, that's the configuration I've been using to manage that stuff. I just re-read my post and I was really unclear about what I meant :p
Ahh I see. Yeah I considered doing that as well, but rather not have crafting jobs cluttering up the crafting monitor all the time. So using Dartcraft Force pipes(autocrafting tables before that) to do the crafting instead. Its the same setup as for just always crafting one item into another(like grains of metal from bees into dust) with an added Level emitter.

Actually just finished cleaning up the setup:
QvEXgYC.png

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
@rhn: thanks for your suggestion of how to implement an AE overflow solution. I finished implementing it in my world and noticed a limitation a few days after. It is limited by the router's search/extract speed and does not work well for farms that cannot easily be shut down [bees/golem-based/villager/etc.] Too much overflow from the AE network into the overflow chests and the routers have trouble keeping up.

An idea I plan to explore, to work around this, is having some routers dedicated to pull from specific slots in the chest while still having other routers pulling without the slot specificity. However, even if this idea works, then the ejecting router becomes a bottleneck. And adding additional ejecting routers allow will not completely solve this bottleneck due to their passing items between themselves.

Another thought I had was to use BC/Logistics pipes to pull stacks from the overflow chest directly.

Designing fail-safe max capacity AE overflow is quite challenging, no?