Ender Chest question

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
Just curious... What's wrong with this picture?

fqlRnpi.png

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
572rNBT.png
BwFDi9N.png

oh look that works... so essentially I am only allowed to grow and harvest oak because nothing else will work... thanks obama

Reactions: ICountFrom0

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I use NoMoreRecipeConflicts in my personal pack. This allows me to choose which output I want from conflicting recipies. It's by no means perfect, but since a large number of recipies don't check the oreDict, I find it helpful.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Then yes, you will have to grow more oak than other breeds, as doors, fences, and chests are rarely checked by the oreDict (particularly Vanilla recipes).

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Is Forestry Worktables still a thing? Those had the option to choose from different conflicting outputs.

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
That's not the point. Oak tends to grow crazy. Other's like spruce grow straight. Not to mention. At the moment, I can't find an oak sapling to save my life. There are recipes where they are interchangeable. At this point it feels more like the wood thing is holding me back. Kind of like ender pearls LOL

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
If you've got botania, I think that will swap saplings around. If not, ask the server admin if you can trade a stack for a stack.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
There are Vanilla ways to limit the size of oak trees, preventing the large branched oaks. There are several mods that allow for chopping entire trees with a single block broken. There is automated ways to harvest trees. I hate being a lumberjack in Minecraft, so I usually prioritize these.

As for finding oak, just keep exploring. Oak spawn in more biomes than any of the other trees, and once you have one the sapling return is usually generous.

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
Interestingly, if you have Refined Storage set up, it seems to always craft vanilla chests from auto-crafting, regardless of the type of wood used (I'm only growing spruce, set up the auto-craft pattern with spruce with oreDict checked, always get vanilla chests.)

I've found, at least in the packs I've played, that the vast majority of recipes that involve chests have changed to using oreDict chests, though that might have been done by the pack creators.

I will say, I kind of hate oak because something has changed with the way the Lumber Axe works, and it doesn't always get all of the big oak trees any longer. Once I have auto-farming it's not a big deal, but until then I prefer something else.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I think the way the trees spawn has changed, and that's messed with the lumber axe's definitions for what is a tree. It looks for connected blocks, or blocks in a 3x3x3, and then breaks them. But I think the upper branches aren't spawning connected for it to do that.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Good to know that RS autocrafting makes oak chests out of other woods - that will help tremendously in my setup (I have an overabundance of Dark Oak i need sinks for).

Most mod authors are adding oreDict checks on recipes, but Vanilla recipes usually don't, so those are the ones that become annoying.

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
I think the way the trees spawn has changed, and that's messed with the lumber axe's definitions for what is a tree. It looks for connected blocks, or blocks in a 3x3x3, and then breaks them. But I think the upper branches aren't spawning connected for it to do that.
It does seem to be the floaty logs that get left, but the Lumber Axe has changed too. It used to cut down whole trees instantly and take all the durability it was going to use instantly, but now you can watch it progress up the tree (assuming the tree is big enough) while the durability ticks down. Which is why instead of breaking instantly when a tree's too big, it'll break a second or two later, delaying my utterance of an expletive because there's 8 blocks of wood and a bunch of leaves 30 blocks or so in the sky that I have to climb up to and chop down.

Reactions: KingTriaxx

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
I know I am a few days late to this thread but I thought I would still try to help out with the recipe issues; if you build your chest out of any two different wood types you will get the vanilla oak chest as the result. instead.