End Game Power in Infinity

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Favorite FTB Modpack?

• FTB Infinity

• FTB Horizons: Daybreaker

• FTB Vanilla+

• FTB Departed

• FTB Trident

• FTB Lite 3

• FTB Mage Quest

• Direwolf20

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Skye Tabahashi

Jul 29, 2019
I was just wondering what everyone thinks is the BEST end game power in Infinity so I could see what will best fit in my survival singleplayer world.

Also, what do you think is the best source of power when your first start a new world?

Take a second of your time to answer the poll. It would be much appreciated.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
As with any "What's the best..." poll, it depends wildly on your needs, materials, brainpower, ambition, and more.

My current world has a setup of three BR Turbines being fed steam from MFR Steam Boilers (five per Turbine). Those Boilers are running off the water output from the Turbine and Lava buckets being provided by a Lava Fabricator/Fluid Transposer combo. These machines are powered by the Turbines themselves, creating a self sustaining positive RF cycle.

Prior to this, I had our small server powered solely by mob farms. MFR Grinders feeding gunpowder and mob essence to TE Reactant Dynamos was the basic power, with a ton of other mob drops being used for other power generation methods. Those included: potions in a XU Potion Generator, Blaze Rods in Furnace Generators, Ender Pearls in an XU Ender Generator, rotten flesh in a Culinary Generator, sticks in Survivalist Generators, Redstone into a Magma Crucible then into a Heated Redstone Generator, and more.

After a while, a friend took to using sticks, string, and bonemeal from my farm to automate MFR Industrial Fertilizer for his Agricraft farm. He used nine crops at 10/10/10 into a MFR BioFuel Generator into seven BioReactors. Later he upgraded to use four RC Liquid Fueled Firebox Boilers to power a BR Turbine.

So far as easiest early game, I usually use either a Survivalist Generator or an Ender IO Stirling Generator to start with basic needs, then spiral out of control on some random path that I'm told can't be done. No greater motivation on Earth than "I bet you can't..."

Edit: If you want a fun puzzle, try to power your world off RFTools Enderic Generation (probably not actually what its called). @McJty can correct me, I'm sure.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
As with any "What's the best..." poll, it depends wildly on your needs, materials, brainpower, ambition, and more.

My current world has a setup of three BR Turbines being fed steam from MFR Steam Boilers (five per Turbine). Those Boilers are running off the water output from the Turbine and Lava buckets being provided by a Lava Fabricator/Fluid Transposer combo. These machines are powered by the Turbines themselves, creating a self sustaining positive RF cycle.

Prior to this, I had our small server powered solely by mob farms. MFR Grinders feeding gunpowder and mob essence to TE Reactant Dynamos was the basic power, with a ton of other mob drops being used for other power generation methods. Those included: potions in a XU Potion Generator, Blaze Rods in Furnace Generators, Ender Pearls in an XU Ender Generator, rotten flesh in a Culinary Generator, sticks in Survivalist Generators, Redstone into a Magma Crucible then into a Heated Redstone Generator, and more.

After a while, a friend took to using sticks, string, and bonemeal from my farm to automate MFR Industrial Fertilizer for his Agricraft farm. He used nine crops at 10/10/10 into a MFR BioFuel Generator into seven BioReactors. Later he upgraded to use four RC Liquid Fueled Firebox Boilers to power a BR Turbine.

So far as easiest early game, I usually use either a Survivalist Generator or an Ender IO Stirling Generator to start with basic needs, then spiral out of control on some random path that I'm told can't be done. No greater motivation on Earth than "I bet you can't..."

Edit: If you want a fun puzzle, try to power your world off RFTools Enderic Generation (probably not actually what its called). @McJty can correct me, I'm sure.
It's Endergenic. And I suggest you buff the power output in the config; it's a little underpowered, at least when compared to Big Reactors (which you should nerf considerably; reduce power output and increase fuel consumption. By default, yellorium pretty much never runs out, so the efficiency buff from the Turbines isn't really worth it).

For the poll - well, I like my own modpack best, of course. :p I've made ~80% of stuff easier, so you still have a reason to automate stuff - you can't just cheat stuff in - but at the same time it's more a sandbox than a struggle for survival, which is how I like it.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
It's Endergenic. And I suggest you buff the power output in the config; it's a little underpowered, at least when compared to Big Reactors (which you should nerf considerably; reduce power output and increase fuel consumption. By default, yellorium pretty much never runs out, so the efficiency buff from the Turbines isn't really worth it).

I never built a reactor in our world. We used Yellorium and Sand to jump straight to Cyanite for the Turbines. Even if fuel consumption was turned up to 50x, I'm still running on free power.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I never built a reactor in our world. We used Yellorium and Sand to jump straight to Cyanite for the Turbines. Even if fuel consumption was turned up to 50x, I'm still running on free power.
I know, and that's not a bad thing.
In my pack, of course, I nerfed the cyanite recipe considerably as well, so there is now good reason to build a reactor AND a turbine AND invest some time into mining yellorium. It's no longer quite as seemingly infinite. :p

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I know, and that's not a bad thing.
In my pack, of course, I nerfed the cyanite recipe considerably as well, so there is now good reason to build a reactor AND a turbine AND invest some time into mining yellorium. It's no longer quite as seemingly infinite. :p

As long as steam is oreDict, there will be ways to power a Turbine infinitely. Whether it's a tree farm into RC Boilers or Blaze Rods in MFR Boilers, steam is steam. Nearly every tech mod has a way to make it, and most of them are way easier than dealing with finding fuel for a reactor.

If the recipe for Cyanite is gone (or changed dramatically), I can see building a small, Inefficient reactor as a stepping stone. But once I have an endless way to make steam, I have power forever.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
As long as steam is oreDict, there will be ways to power a Turbine infinitely. Whether it's a tree farm into RC Boilers or Blaze Rods in MFR Boilers, steam is steam. Nearly every tech mod has a way to make it, and most of them are way easier than dealing with finding fuel for a reactor.

If the recipe for Cyanite is gone (or changed dramatically), I can see building a small, Inefficient reactor as a stepping stone. But once I have an endless way to make steam, I have power forever.
Again, I'm not AGAINST using a non-reactor steam source; I think that's one of the niftier power-gen options. What I AM saying is that I've changed some stuff in my pack to the point where both are now viable options, which is how it should be. :p

Reactions: Inaeo

mathchamp

Jul 29, 2019
Endgame power in Infinity with default config is basically one of two options:
  • Big Reactors (reactor + turbines).
    • You can run the turbines off of other steam sources as well. Right now I am producing steam from 3 Railcraft 36HP boilers (which I built starting in the early-midgame for energy) and a 13x13x6 (interior dimension) Big Reactor, and using the steam to feed 7 Railcraft turbines for EU and 8 ludicrite turbines for RF (soon will be 12).
  • Top tier solar panels (there are options for both EU and RF).
There are probably other options but they may be more complex to set up. Big Reactors doesn't need much management if you set it up right, while solar requires tons of materials but zero management once set up. With solars you just need enough storage to make it through the nights (or place them in an eternal day world), and just make sure that Endermen don't place blocks of dirt over the solar panels.

I personally don't use the Yellorium --> Cyanite crafting recipe - I just craft the turbines as I go :)

For storage I use the Draconic Evolution multiblock. The top tier version can hold over 2 trillion RF. So far in my world I've filled it about 10% of the way. I can't think of anything that would demand even close to that much RF in a short time frame, though.

Also note that the Big Reactors default config is even more generous than the settings in Infinity. Yup, Big Reactors by default is even more OP than it is in Infinity. Infinity multiplies the default fuel consumption by a factor of 8. Even then, assuming you're using some of that power to run a Speed III Ender Quarry, you're going to net orders of magnitude more yellorium than you're burning.

Reactions: asb3pe

knn03

Jul 29, 2019
Big Reactors. I produce power straight from the reactor and not bother with the turbines.

My usual startup routine is mine for gold and redstone ASAP, make a pulverizer and several survivalist generators for ore doubling.

HeroWing2

Jul 29, 2019
I think the Best way to fill up the draconic storage i have ever Seen, two youtuber Made 400 64* nether Star Generator in skyfactory 2 which were supposed to produce about one Billion rf a Tick But These Generators didnt produced what the should But even then the storage was After about 10 seconds full so a challange Make that in infinity and you Are awsome

K

killerkoekje

i currently have 64 nether star generators but with the amount of power i'm using its not enough for me but too much for most people.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
The problem with asking generic questions about end-game generic power generation is that everybody's end-game power consumption is going to be different based on what mods they use and how heavily they use them.

I tend to avoid FTB packs these days, in general. I find that the brand has not aged well, and most are typically just kitchen sink packs with mods thrown in essentially at random. You'll have your 'staple' mods, your 'edge case' mods, and two or three 'I thought these were cool, so lets toss those in as well' mods.

Reactions: Golrith

Dezz

Jul 13, 2013
The problem with asking generic questions about end-game generic power generation is that everybody's end-game power consumption is going to be different based on what mods they use and how heavily they use them.

I tend to avoid FTB packs these days, in general. I find that the brand has not aged well, and most are typically just kitchen sink packs with mods thrown in essentially at random. You'll have your 'staple' mods, your 'edge case' mods, and two or three 'I thought these were cool, so lets toss those in as well' mods.
What packs do you play on then?