Enchanting Plus - NO XP required bug?

InsaneMoose

Jul 29, 2019
Hey all,

I'm using Enchanting Plus so I don't have to do any guess work for enchanting. I do like the simplicity in that, but for some reason all of the enchants only cost 1-15 levels or so. I can get any of the vanilla enchants at max level for 1-2 levels and all of the normally very expensive mod enchants like from Mariculture or other mods are only costing 10-15 levels when I remember them all being wayyyyyy more expensive.

I do see a config option called Cost Factor = 5 but I do not know what this does, or whether changing it higher or lower will affect the costs of enchants.

Appreciate any input.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Dunno anything about the configs, but wanted to mention that I'm also a fan of this mod. I spent literally thousands of levels attempting to a single Silk Touch book enchant. It wasn't fun; thank goodness for RotaryCraft spawner controllers for xp.

Enchanting Plus now a requirement in any modpack of mine where I plan to do any enchanting.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Dunno anything about the configs, but wanted to mention that I'm also a fan of this mod. I spent literally thousands of levels attempting to a single Silk Touch book enchant. It wasn't fun; thank goodness for RotaryCraft spawner controllers for xp.

Enchanting Plus now a requirement in any modpack of mine where I plan to do any enchanting.

Don't you at least have Thaumcraft? It has a well balanced infusion enchanting system that lets you ultimately pick the enchants on your items.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Don't you at least have Thaumcraft? It has a well balanced infusion enchanting system that lets you ultimately pick the enchants on your items.
Can't get into the mod for some reason, dood. No idea why.

I remove it, and most other magic mods from any packs I play (TC4, AM2, Witchery, Blood Magic, so forth).

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I just find Enchanting Plus kills the game for me. e.g. Finally find a stronghold. Loot its library. Find multiple enchanted books. "Meh!".

E+ makes it just too easy.

I totally get where you are coming from however. When you need silk touch, you @#$ing need silk touch, and being a slave to the dungeon RNG is too damned volatile.

I like where bibliocraft is, the ability to (use xp to) clone enchanted books means you can work on building up an enchanting library. Paired with a mod that lets you take the enchantment off of items onto books would seem to be perfect.

Also, vanilla 1.8 has added some new lapis driven mechanism, and seriously lowered the base cost of a lot of enchants, so waiting AFK outside a mobgrinder, the worst kind of timesink, promises to be a thing of the past.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Ok I'm learning a lot of stuff here.

* E+ has extra lootable library books? Didn't know. I just use the enchanting altar that lets you specify enchantments for a level cost (which makes more sense than RNG)
* Bibliocraft lets you clone enchantment books? Didn't know. I frequently remove that mod since it has nothing I'm interested in. I'll have to revise that.
* If you know of any other mods besides MFR that let you 'strip' enchantments, I'm interested. I'm avoiding MFR because I rely on it too heavily otherwise :p

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
I do see a config option called Cost Factor = 5 but I do not know what this does, or whether changing it higher or lower will affect the costs of enchants.

Appreciate any input.
I added Enchanting Plus to Monster and it's the same cost factor there, but the enchants costs much more.

Could it be some other mod which is altering / lowering enchanting costs in general?

sir dew drop

Jul 29, 2019
I added Enchanting Plus to Monster and it's the same cost factor there, but the enchants costs much more.

Could it be some other mod which is altering / lowering enchanting costs in general?
do you get a random chunk blinking, because i added E+ and MCA and it makes chunks "blink" for an undermined amount of time (specially when using machinery)

Nfrance

Jul 29, 2019
This is a reason I got rid of enchanting plus. Loved the mod. but it's just way to cheap. Maybe if there was an additional upgrade to the enchanting table that would lower the costs to what they are now it would be fine, but It feels to easy to get a full enchant item for like 7 levels. So if someone could figure out how to make the enchants more expensive I would definitely re add this mod.

InsaneMoose

Jul 29, 2019
This is a reason I got rid of enchanting plus. Loved the mod. but it's just way to cheap. Maybe if there was an additional upgrade to the enchanting table that would lower the costs to what they are now it would be fine, but It feels to easy to get a full enchant item for like 7 levels. So if someone could figure out how to make the enchants more expensive I would definitely re add this mod.
Yeah I love being able to pick the enchants but it seems bugged or something. I can get max every enchant for 1 level per enchant so yeah basically a full set of enchants is like 7 levels...

InsaneMoose

Jul 29, 2019
I've just realized the level 1 of most the vanilla enchants cost -1 level. At rank 2 and 3 they cost 0. And 4 and 5 they cost 1 level. Sup with that...

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Ok I'm learning a lot of stuff here.

* E+ has extra lootable library books? Didn't know. I just use the enchanting altar that lets you specify enchantments for a level cost (which makes more sense than RNG)
No. I was making reference to the fact that, with the ability to simply dial in my required enchantment, there is no benefit to finding enchanted books at all. Which is really what you hope to find, when looting a stronghold library.

ThorinNL

Jul 29, 2019
I too use E+ in my modpacks, but the costs look fine for me ( aka I'm losing levels). But then again I do not really know how much each enchant should cost. But I think that upgrading from lvl1 enchant to a lvl2 enchant only requires the difference between these levels instead of the full cost of getting a lvl 2 from the start.

Don't have TC either, I don't like this mod (despite the fact that it looks fantastic).
Mechanics (like taint) that destroys my world, I frown upon. I rather do this myself in a controlled manner.
As for example BnB, still in dubio if I want to switch off invasions? will see in time how it goes.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
do you get a random chunk blinking, because i added E+ and MCA and it makes chunks "blink" for an undermined amount of time (specially when using machinery)
Haven't seen anything like that I think. Seems unlikely adding a new enchanting table would cause that, but you never know I guess.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Don't have TC either, I don't like this mod (despite the fact that it looks fantastic).
Mechanics (like taint) that destroys my world, I frown upon. I rather do this myself in a controlled manner.
As for example BnB, still in dubio if I want to switch off invasions? will see in time how it goes.

TC doesn't destroy the world. Its taint, when it does spawn, spawns within its own biome and it does not,for all practical purposes, spread.

This sounds like a render bug, exposed, but not caused, by E+. It sounds like an issue ive had several times, and blamed on several mods. Basically, some naughty mods (or Minecraft itself) is not preserving OpenGL state properly causing shading to not be applied properly.

If it becomes too disconcerting, I find turning OpenGL:Fancy off mostly mitigates the effect.

Oracle of Wuffing

Jul 29, 2019
It's a multiplier, so higher is more expensive, and can go as low as 1, with 5 being the default. I don't know about where the max is.

EnchantingPlus expects other mods to declare Enchantability caps and rates, so if enchantments from other mods seem incredibly off, the mod from whence they came hasn't been programmed with EnchantingPlus in mind.

ThorinNL

Jul 29, 2019
TC doesn't destroy the world. Its taint, when it does spawn, spawns within its own biome and it does not,for all practical purposes, spread.

I've got this from the ftbwiki.org :
"Taint is a balancing mechanic from the mod Thaumcraft 4. It is a purple biome which will slowly spread, destroying any other biome in its path."
It is possible to switch it off in the config thou.

Reactions: ostPavel

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I've got this from the ftbwiki.org :
"Taint is a balancing mechanic from the mod Thaumcraft 4. It is a purple biome which will slowly spread, destroying any other biome in its path."
It is possible to switch it off in the config thou.

Flavor.

Unless you build a few chunks from a tainted biome this will never effect you. Taint is super rare, and can only spread while chunk loaded. Even if you did inadvertently accidentally set up house within chunk load radius of tainted chunks you would have more than enough time to defend yourself.

The biggest problem most TC4 players face is actually finding some of the damned stuff to scan to proceed in research.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Factor means multiply, so a cost factor is how much the cost is multiplied
Flavor.

Unless you build a few chunks from a tainted biome this will never effect you. Taint is super rare, and can only spread while chunk loaded. Even if you did inadvertently accidentally set up house within chunk load radius of tainted chunks you would have more than enough time to defend yourself.

The biggest problem most TC4 players face is actually finding some of the damned stuff to scan to proceed in research.
In which modpack is taint rare? I mean It's not covering my worlds but it's not rare by any means. If I need taint I just travel in a direction for 10 mins and I find some.