Emptying Quarries

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

L0neGamer

Jul 29, 2019
I need to empty my quarry, as i think that the flowing water is what is causing the lag... any way to do this? 2013-01-06_14.52.32.png

eable2

Jul 29, 2019
Do you mean that you filled the quarry with water at the beginning, and now it's done? (Or you did it in an ocean?). If so, I might try a redpower pump.

In the future, here's an easy solution: Instead of having source blocks everywhere, just put a single source block on the edge of your quarry when you first begin. As the floor goes down, the water will eventually spread to fill the entire quarry by the time you hit lava.

L0neGamer

Jul 29, 2019
Anything else apart from a redpower pump? would sending a turtle down do it?
I realise my mistake now, i will not be so dumb in future...
EDIT: It was in an ocean

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
254 stacks of gravel should work :p. seriously, assuming you don't know where the source blocks are, filling in the quarry sides is all you can do, I think.
Edit: An ocean? Yikes.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I've given up on quarries personally the huge holes are problematic at times. My first dip into FTB I was using quarries around my sea base and yeah the lag got silly bad. Moved in land and yeah nothing more ugly then a huge whole in the ground and if you pave it over then you hear no stop bats all the time.Nothing wrong with them mind you. I've just moved over to using miners since they are more selective and sometimes going to a layer and using a filler to blow out a choice area for ore and use a water channel to suck it all up.

But a solution I found to fixing my sea wholes was just took my turtle down to the ocean floor and had him use a platform program to pave it over. The water update was a pain for a bit but once it it was paved over since there was no source blocks under the floor it cleared up the lag. With out a turtle you could do it manually it would just be a pain.

L0neGamer

Jul 29, 2019
so platform it layer by layer?[DOUBLEPOST=1357486411][/DOUBLEPOST]I've ahd an idea.... what if the turtle made a platform, then destroyed it? would that work?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
so platform it layer by layer?[DOUBLEPOST=1357486411][/DOUBLEPOST]I've ahd an idea.... what if the turtle made a platform, then destroyed it? would that work?

No need for layer by layer your water source blocks really should only go to the floor of the ocean. Once cut off the column of water should just go away. So like 45-ish or Y have the turtle just platform it there.

L0neGamer

Jul 29, 2019
but then i'll have this massive cobble thing, which is sort of counter productive, what with the quarry mining it in the first place...

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
but then i'll have this massive cobble thing, which is sort of counter productive, what with the quarry mining it in the first place...
just set it to the few layers where the water source blocks stop. Also after you fill you can immediately set the same machine to clear the area leaving air if you want all the water gone.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Build a border around it and then use the MFFS' waterproof upgrade, whatever that is, to eradicate all the water. Someone else wanted to empty a lake before and IIRC that wound up being the best solution suggested.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
It will eradicate the water source blocks in its area, and if you've built a border around the hole to keep the water outside the hole from flowing in, it should do the trick. Just move it around and plug in area upgrades as needed.