EMC Values for Thaumcraft?

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
I'm working on adding Equivalent Exchange 3 support to Forbidden Magic, which will probably include EMC values for most Thaumcraft items. Only tricky part is actually coming up with the EMC values. :p

Anyone have any strong, loud opinions on what EMC values various TC items should have?

At the moment, I'm debating on whether shards should be valued at redstone or iron. Shards are important, but painfully common?

Should crafted items take essentia costs into account?

Should Primordial Pearl have an EMC value?

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I'm working on adding Equivalent Exchange 3 support to Forbidden Magic, which will probably include EMC values for most Thaumcraft items. Only tricky part is actually coming up with the EMC values. :p

Anyone have any strong, loud opinions on what EMC values various TC items should have?

At the moment, I'm debating on whether shards should be valued at redstone or iron. Shards are important, but painfully common?

the primordial pearl should have an EMC valua, but a very high one, perhaps similar to the EMC of a nether star.

I do like the idea of calculating the EMC value of Thaumcraft items based on their essentia value
so the EMC value will depend on how much essentia an item has, and what kinds of essentia.
if an item has an essentia that's high up in the tiers that item will be much more expensive

Reactions: SpitefulFox

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Neither Iron nor redstone, I have 183 000 iron and 164 000 redstone in Infinity and 12 000 air and 4k of the rest of the shards... They should be diamond at least. I would use the aspects each item has as the basis of the EMC value rather than the item itself.

Most certainly.

Definitely not. If it does it needs to be something ridiculous and tied to unlocking the research first.

However I don't think this is going to end well, it's either going to horrifyingly OP or useless as TC's entire premise is out of the box crafting. In world items could work, ANYTHING crafted is going down a rabbit hole IMHO.

ewsmith

Jul 29, 2019
I look at the primordial pearl as a dungeon key. It should not be duplicated. but that's just my opinion.

just a cursory list of mostly raw materials:
shards- 256
amber item- 64
mercury- 198
vishroom- 256
tallow- 128
thaumium ingot- 8192 (it can mine at diamond level)
zombie brain- 1024
golden coin- same of golden nugget since you can smelt them to some
crystal essence- 64
mana bean- 128
apprentice ring of [aspect]- 256
vis stone (weak vis amulet found in dungeons)- 256
ethereal essence- 2048
crimson knight armor- 2048
crimson priest armor- 4096
crimson praetor armor- 16384
eldritch eye- 8192
tainted goo- 256
tainted tendril- 256
ancient stone- 64
crusted stone- 64
glowing crusted stone- 128
ancient rock- 128 (it's the fancy boss one)
greatwood/silverwood- 64 (or whatever wood logs are)
greatwood sapling- 64
silverwood sapling- 256

Also: I though you were done with cross mod compat. :p

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015

Anyone have any strong, loud opinions on what EMC values various TC items should have? quantify the value of ess

I take it the dynamic EMC won't work for TC as it stands? Hmm. Its a difficult one because how do you quantify the value of essentia? You've got a tough task ahead ;p

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
On a related note, what am I supposed to call this EMC wand?

5UYJRhG.png

If I name the wand core Alchemical Wand, someone could stick the Blood Magic caps on it and have the Alchemically Crowned Alchemical Wand. Which is just plain goofy. >.<

I guess I could rename the Blood Magic caps, but to what? Blood Caps? Blood Capped Blood Wand? :p

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014

If I name the wand core Alchemical Wand, someone could stick the Blood Magic caps on it and have the Alchemically Crowned Alchemical Wand. Which is just plain goofy. >.<

I guess I could rename the Blood Magic caps, but to what? Blood Caps? Blood Capped Blood Wand? :p

Covalent Wand? Oh wait, covalence dust isn't a thing anymore.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019

Philosopher's wand? In ode to the Philosopher's Stone?

Sanguine Caps? Similar to blood magic's Sanguine armor that does Thaumcraft compatability?

Last edited:

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Minius/Minium Wand?

Also regarding the EMC value, set them to whatever you feel is prudent, but make sure to make key items created by thaumcraft infusion/crafting mechanics are unresearchable so to not trivialize Thaumcraft progression too much.
Make trivial things like shards convertible along with silverwood/greatwood, maybe even Thaumium. Things that wont let you skipp progression steps.
TBH though, I'd wait till Azanor has decided whether he wants his stuff replicated by EE3, he may have other ideas regarding EMC values. The tinkering you do may conflict with any hypothetical plans Azanor might have.

Last edited:

OmegaRenan

Jul 29, 2019
Remember that you can add EMC to an item but make so it can not transmute AKA created from EMC, and maybe you can add sin cristal clusters and some automagy integrations, you know like sin cristalized brains.

Last edited:
Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
Blood soaked exchange wand? Blood bathed alchemist wand? Bloodbound morphic wand? Red stained fullmetal wand?
Blood bathed Soulbound wand? Washed Wounded wand?

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Remember that you can add EMC to an item but make so it can not transmute AKA created from EMC, and maybe you can add sin cristal clusters and some automagy integrations, you know like sin cristalized brains.
This is actually a really good point - its entirely customisable as to whether you can convert from EMC to an item - so if you want to avoid trivialising Thaumcraft, that is a good way to do it.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not going to gimp the EMC values out of some misguided attempt to balance Equivalent Exchange. If people don't like having EMC values, they can either disable the values in the confg or not install Equivalent Exchange.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not going to gimp the EMC values out of some misguided attempt to balance Equivalent Exchange. If people don't like having EMC values, they can either disable the values in the confg or not install Equivalent Exchange.

Just remember EMC values on all TC items with no research utterly guts Thaumcraft and prepare for major backlash.

And personally I think it's a horrible horrible idea.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Just remember EMC values on all TC items with no research utterly guts Thaumcraft and prepare for major backlash.

And personally I think it's a horrible horrible idea.

You have to have a sample of an item first before you can transmute it anyway. How does that gut research?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
You have to have a sample of an item first before you can transmute it anyway. How does that gut research?

In SSP it doesn't (except for the few minor things that appear in loot chests), but in SMP it's possible to get an item from other players without having the research for it. Not much you can do about that though.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
In SSP it doesn't (except for the few minor things that appear in loot chests), but in SMP it's possible to get an item from other players without having the research for it. Not much you can do about that though.

How is that any different from having your friend research an item and make it for you? Or having your friend research an item and then hand you the Tome of Knowledge sharing?