ELORAAM

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Personally, I think Elo and Redpower are going the way of IC2.
For one, they are both part of the Old Guard, which is rapidly losing it's hold. Had Elofoot not gone away for so long, she maybe could have kept her mod cooler and "hip" and relevant. But now, everyone has moved on. Just like IC2, most of it's functionality has already been replaced by other mods. All the good parts of it have been taken out, and the fat has been removed. Just like IC2, she's attempting to salvage her mod by eliminating the competition for the mods that try to fill the gap, EX Simply Jetpacks.
Like IC2, we know that Redpower is no longer necessary. But members of the old guard and die-hard fans are literally the only thing keeping these two mods alive. I used to love IC2 and Redpower, but the mods that have replaced them, like TE and Project: Red are so much better. They take away all the things we didn't like and make the things we did like even cooler, all whilst adding new and awesomer functionality. But people like Elo try to save themselves and their rapidly declining status by trying to stop the mods that are better.
I remember back when it was controversial for someone like Shneeky to remove IC2 and Buildcraft and Redpower from his pack. Nowadays, that is a regular occurrence. Although I had fun with the Old Guard of mods, I've had much more fun with the New Guard than I ever had before. If it hadn't been for these new mods, like Applied Energistics or Blood Magic, I would never have gotten back into Minecraft. I would still be a New Member on this forum, not a Forum Addict that is 50 likes away from being an Over-Achiever (ish). The New Guard is ready to fill the gap left by the Old Guard, but the Old Guard still tries to hang on to life.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
@Gideonseymour and anyone else that thinks the same way about IC2: It's not dead. Sure, it isn't very used over here, but this is in no way the entire modded Minecraft community. http://forum.industrial-craft.net/ Go down to the statistics section at the bottom of that page. 136 posts a day is pretty damn good for a single mod and its addon family, if you ask me.

Anyway, I digress, I agree with you YX.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
@Gideonseymour and anyone else that thinks the same way about IC2: It's not dead. Sure, it isn't very used over here, but this is in no way the entire modded Minecraft community. http://forum.industrial-craft.net/ Go down to the statistics section at the bottom of that page. 136 posts a day is pretty damn good for a single mod and its addon family, if you ask me.

Anyway, I digress, I agree with you YX.
And how much of that would be GT, hm?
...Seriously, is GregiousT still posting there as his main forums?

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
And how much of that would be GT, hm?
...Seriously, is GregiousT still posting there as his main forums?
where should he be posting? here? IC2 is/was his audience, I think he's in the right place.

Once he cuts the cord from IC2 will be a different story entirely. It'll be interesting to see if he sticks around there afterward.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
where should he be posting? here? IC2 is/was his audience, I think he's in the right place.

Once he cuts the cord from IC2 will be a different story entirely. It'll be interesting to see if he sticks around there afterward.
No idea where he'd be posting if not IC2 forums.
If he was posting elsewhere as his main info, you really think that his thread and the community it has wouldn't follow?

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
No idea where he'd be posting if not IC2 forums.
If he was posting elsewhere as his main info, you really think that his thread and the community it has wouldn't follow?

That was my point.

He's building his own energynet, and with his bronze age nowadays, who needs IC2? Definitely not Greg. Once the prerequisite of IC2 for playing GT is gone, it'll be a ghost town over there.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
That was my point.

He's building his own energynet, and with his bronze age nowadays, who needs IC2? Definitely not Greg. Once the prerequisite of IC2 for playing GT is gone, it'll be a ghost town over there.
Yeah. Mild shame a old mod that has been stagnating since 1.2.5(beta) may end up being forgotten.
Nah, fuck IC2. It died at the 1.2.7 update as far a I care. Pull the plug, Greg.
mlfw10087-403746__safe_oc_animated_derpy252Bhooves_meme_drama_fluffle252Bpuff_vibrating_screaming_x252Bintensifies.gif

Reactions: midi_sec

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I like the fact that Eloraam is reviving RP. Just this week I loaded up a new ultimate world just for the old mod feel (and cause I was bored of the server I play on cause of the modpack) but anyways I made a new world so I could struggle along with industrialcraft right from the begining and not have all the survivalist generators and leadstone energycells that make the start so easy.... I relish the part of the game where resources are hard and you can't double ores in the first 20 minutes. Don't get me wrong though I still enjoy they easy stuff if I'm in multiplayer, cause in multiplayer I'm inspired to build not spend 10 hours getting a quarry online.

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
When IC2 devs threaten to sue the Simply Jetpacks guy, no one says anything here. Eloraam makes a vague legal comment and the forum goes fullReddit about it.

People tend to care more when it directly affects them. A potential removal of Project: Red would be as devastating as the disappearance of RedPower 2 post-1.5.2 was. (For most modpacks, anyway. There is always RedLogic and BluePower is still being maintained - but current modpacks and worlds would suffer)

Also, a polite satirical reminder from me:

Reactions: Planetguy

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
People tend to care more when it directly affects them. A potential removal of Project: Red would be as devastating as the disappearance of RedPower 2 post-1.5.2 was. (For most modpacks, anyway. There is always RedLogic and BluePower is still being maintained - but current modpacks and worlds would suffer)
I contest that statement. It would be inconvenient, yes, but hardly devastating. I don't have extensive knowledge about ProjectRed's functionality, but I don't think there is much that couldn't be realized through other mods's features. Fortunately, these days you have a choice between more than one mod for most features you might want, and making the choice is more about style than functionality.

Which also means that mod identity is a matter of style, not of features, and if someone accuses another mod of plagiarism (I guess that's what all this is about), they might have a point if the accused mod is not only similar in its features, but also in style.

Last edited:

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
I contest that statement. It would be inconvenient, yes, but hardly devastating.

FTB has no real alternative. BluePower is unfinished and immibis (and thus RedLogic) is blacklisted after writing an "illegal" RP2->BuildCraft energy conversion mod in Minecraft 1.1 days. Also, version upgrades would get screwed over AGAIN.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
FTB has no real alternative. BluePower is unfinished and immibis (and thus RedLogic) is blacklisted after writing an "illegal" RP2->BuildCraft energy conversion mod in Minecraft 1.1 days. Also, version upgrades would get screwed over AGAIN.
I thought it was IC2 > RP? But meh, thats just pointless semantics.

Anyways, I'm not happy with the current Elo situation... things were going great with bluepower, then the elo nation attacked...
So far all thats happened is we have had things took away from us.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
No alternative in what? Redstone logic? I use Engineer's Toolbox for all my redstone logic needs, and for the cabling EnderIO or RedNet will do just as well.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
No alternative in what? Redstone logic? I use Engineer's Toolbox for all my redstone logic needs, and for the cabling EnderIO or RedNet will do just as well.

and none of those things are as clean as P:R, especially the FMP support which blows away competition - I hate using a whole block just for a redwire equivelant.

the redwire, coloured and bundled cables + logic are the only reason i have P:R, they're just too useful not to have.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
if we're really talking about redstone logic, programmable rednet controller still wins. one block, 349853498 functions? ysplx.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
but the cables are too blocky, even though theyre all 'bundled' they just take up too much damn space.

Most of the time you don't need barely any of the rednet controller functions anyway, a lever, maybe a not gate and a timer, or a state cell, and you have all the redstone logic you need for pretty much any system in a few blocks.

And, if you really want complicated redstone in one block, CC beats rednet controller - and can be simpler (depending on your coding background).

Status
Not open for further replies.