Electricraft: Relay workarounds

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
As some of you may know, I'm a big fan of @Reika's ElectriCraft addon to Rotarycraft.

It has a pleasantly realistic electrical system that nicely compliments Rotary, and fills in some gaps in a fun fashion.

It also has a ridiculously generous (and expensive) energy storage block...

Sadly its currently got a nasty bug whereby the Relay and Resistor incur a constant battery drain when they're supposed to be cutting off all current. Reika's aware of it but hasn't been able to fix it.

In the meantime, a possible workaround is to use something like a Gany's Nether "Block Shifter" as a Relay: when it receives a redstone signal, it can flip the position of a block. I'm hoping to continue using the mod by replacing my (many) Relays with Block Shifters, switching a wire into place as needed.

If anyone has a better fix, please let us know :)

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I want to make a joke to @SatanicSanta about how "Gany's Nether is useless", but he doesn't use RoC so he would be clueless.
Edit: Oh, how I hate my brain when I am drunk on sleep deprivation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Padfoote

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Well to be fair, when I attempted to link a second block shifter, my game ingloriously crashed, so not sure I disagree :p

I'll have to shut down my Horizons world again if I can't figure a way around this, bleh.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Not sure how you have your wiring setup, but would it be possible to just cut power transfer at the battery when it isn't needed rather than each individual line until this bug gets resolved?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Not sure how you have your wiring setup, but would it be possible to just cut power transfer at the battery when it isn't needed rather than each individual line until this bug gets resolved?

Good idea. It's definitely possible if I want to assign a battery to each machine, but right now my monster Aurora battery is powering all my (not massive) industry.

In fact I do plan to do something just like that in the future, but I'd still prefer to have one battery per couple machines. If a battery is turned on and would normally feed two machines, and one is cut by a relay due to lack of work, it'll just waste power, which rubs me really badly (which is why I can't play Forestry unless I can power-switch-pipe my power pipes; Forestry machines are lossy)

I just managed to get a bunch more block shifters in place without crashes, and they seem to work nicely, so I have my functional workaround (I hope)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@Padfoote, if you're actually curious, this is how my wiring is starting out.

http://imgur.com/kFZxCG0

A wire is coming out of my basement where I produce and store power. You can't see it emerging but its splitting into 6 machines.

Previously, each wire ran through a Resistor (to determine how much power the machine requested) and a Relay (to determine if the machine should receive power at all).

As a workaround, you can see I've now blown some holes in the walls. There's a bunch of Block Shifters there with single pieces of ElectriCraft wire hovering above them. When that block receives a redstone signal, the wire hops into place and the machine receives power.

Some of those machines receive power automatically when they have "work". Others I just manually flip a switch to engage.

I much prefer Reika's block, as its less magical (also cheaper), but this'll get me by for now.

Reactions: Padfoote

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
@Padfoote, if you're actually curious, this is how my wiring is starting out.

http://imgur.com/kFZxCG0

A wire is coming out of my basement where I produce and store power. You can't see it emerging but its splitting into 6 machines.

Previously, each wire ran through a Resistor (to determine how much power the machine requested) and a Relay (to determine if the machine should receive power at all).

As a workaround, you can see I've now blown some holes in the walls. There's a bunch of Block Shifters there with single pieces of ElectriCraft wire hovering above them. When that block receives a redstone signal, the wire hops into place and the machine receives power.

Some of those machines receive power automatically when they have "work". Others I just manually flip a switch to engage.

I much prefer Reika's block, as its less magical (also cheaper), but this'll get me by for now.
Drawbridges or turtles?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I could write a turtle program for you. It'd have to be tomorrow though, because I don't feel like getting up.
Thanks but don't stress it friend, the block-shifters are working fine for now. I can't see how a turtle would actually function better.