Electrical Engine Upgrades?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

bigtwisty

Jul 29, 2019
So if the biggest circuit board only handles 3 tubes, why are there 4 slots in the soldering iron?

Gnomeo

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf20 showed this process in detail when Sengir added the mechanic to Forestry. Look through Dire's mod spotlights to find Forestry v1.4.8, and the circuit board piece is in the middle.

potter

Jul 29, 2019
Also note that some of the tubes can be added twice on a circuit board while others only once.
Copper Choke(1)
Tin Boost I(2)
Bronze Boost II(2)
Iron Efficiency (1)

(taken from the official wiki)
As you can see, Tin and Bronze are the ones you can use twice per medium-large circuit board.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
yes, you can hook vents into alviaries (not apiaries, the big multi-block version), and they need power too.

Esperologist

Jul 29, 2019
Just came across this while trying to find again how to upgrade electrical engines.
Reminded me how to do it and made me check all possible combinations (was going to do that anyway) to see the best options.

So, 2 bronze and an iron give the best results?

If you are going purely for a one engine and the most power you can get while still having some efficiency, then yes.
2 Bronze + 1 Iron = 10 MJ for 35 EU : ratio of 1 to 3.5
But, you can get the exact same from this:
1 Bronze + 2 Tin = 10 MJ for 35 EU : ratio of 1 to 3.5

If you could care less about efficiency and are willing to toss all the EU it can take, then the best bet is:
2 Bronze + 1 Tin = 12 MJ for 43 EU : ratio of 1 to 3.583333...

Looking for the best ratio?
1 Iron = 2 MJ for 5 EU : ratio 1 to 2.5

What does this mean?
For one engine, best power is 2 bronze and a tin.
Slight energy savings is 2 bronze and an iron... or 2 tin and a bronze.

But, if you are having more trouble with producing EU and less trouble producing electrical engines... just use one iron and make multiple engines.
Compare:

1 engine, 2 bronze tubes and a tin tube : 12 MJ per 43 EU
or
6 engines, 1 iron tube each : 12 MJ per 30 EU

Personally, I already have 20 engines going... 40 MJ per 120 EU.
If I iron tube them all, 40 MJ per 100 EU... or I can use four engines with either of the combos listed above to get 10 MJ each, making that same 40 MJ per 140 EU.
Considering I am not producing enough EU to cover the 120 EU, why increase the cost?

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
Now if you went with the largest circuit board (intricate), which has four slots, then you could throw an extra tin tube in - that would add up to 14MJ/t, pulling 50EU/t to do it. Beats me whether that existed when this conversation was ongoing last year.

The long and short of it is that electrical engines probably aren't the best way to get MJ, just a convenient way. If you "need" to use them, then single slot boards with iron tubes are your best bet, as that's as "efficient" as they get. If you've got the resources to do better and are just being lazy so you don't have to set up an MJ power supply to go with your EU supply, then pile in the tubes and go for raw output at any expense.

What I suspect is that the power converters mod makes electrical engines redundant except in the roll of pumping items through pipes, as I gather they can pull entire stacks when warmed up. Dunno, haven't tried it.

Esperologist

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, when I looked up the recipe for circuit board I found that there are four now. Had already done the math for it anyway... got carried away.
My electrical engine setup is just for the time being... I'm trying to get a bee supplied combustion engine setup going.
I'm not so much worried about efficiency as I am trying things out. My electric engines can now (with the iron tubes) support the ME storage system... just because it can, doesn't mean I'm done setting up.
I mean... a turtle supplying me with fir wood is not efficient... just amusing.
I like that electrical engine item pumping thing... I'm currently use redstone engines and won't be making gates for a while... never made gates before, would like to try it out.

DanOfEarth

Jul 29, 2019
I’ll add to this to help somebodies’ Google search. This is a good thread.

No more small, medium, and large circuit boards. The new four circuit boards are:

Basic - allows 1 tube
Enhanced - allows 2 tubes
Refined - allows 3 tubes
Intricate - allows 4 tubes

The only 4 electronic tubes that work and how many you can use:

Iron - Electric Efficiency (1) - Reduces intake by 1 EU/t (can only use 1)
Copper - Electric Choke (1) - Increases output by 1 MJ/t, increases intake by 2 EU/t (can only use 1)
Tin -Electric Boost I (1) - Increases output by 2 MJ/t, increases intake by 7 EU/t (can use 2)
Bronze - Electric Boost II (2) - Increases output by 4 MJ/t, increases intake by 15 EU/t (can use 2)

All other tubes (gold, obsidian, etc.) do nothing with these four circuit boards.

The meanest, nastiest combination on the circuit boards is adding two tin and two bronze to the Intricate Circuit board, increasing output by 10 MJ/t and increasing intake by 44 EU/t.