Efficient automatic chicken/cow breeder

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Irastolos

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, I have an idea for an automatic chicken and cow breeder setup with an automatic wheat farm. There is just one problem, I can't figure out a way to get seeds to a feeder without starving my farm. I think it can be done with a turtle if I take half of the seeds from a chest and have it go to the feeder and take the other half to the farm. Is there anyway someone could guide me through on how to program the turtle to do that?

Irastolos

Jul 29, 2019
Combine ejects seeds and wheat into two chests. One for seeds the other for wheat.

I use red stone engines to pump wheat into a barn for cows.

Now here My problem lies, if I pump seeds into the coop I have I can't pump enough seeds into the farm.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
Chickens eat seeds to breed.

Use an autarchic gate on the seed chest, set to pump if inventory is full. You'll have a nice big buffer of seeds before anything goes to the chicken coop.

Crouchingmoose

Jul 29, 2019
Is it really breeding your after, or just more Chickens and Cows because a Soul Shard could be used to produce them both without cost any seeds or wheat upkeep.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
It's probably easier to do chickens with a dispenser.

I did a vanilla style chicken farm (elevated platform, hole in the center, water at the corners, sign in the hole) with an obsidian pipe underneath. Pipe connects to a dispenser with a sequencer running every few seconds. The dispenser shot eggs into a wall. Got something like 150 chickens overnight...turned it off about that time and haven't needed to turn it back on since.

Crouchingmoose

Jul 29, 2019
It's probably easier to do chickens with a dispenser.

I did a vanilla style chicken farm (elevated platform, hole in the center, water at the corners, sign in the hole) with an obsidian pipe underneath. Pipe connects to a dispenser with a sequencer running every few seconds. The dispenser shot eggs into a wall. Got something like 150 chickens overnight...turned it off about that time and haven't needed to turn it back on since.

Except with my system, you dont have the lag of 150 chickens in 1 tiny little pen, but instead have them respawn as soo as they are killed.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
use golems. Your farm will never run out of seeds if you combine a smart straw golem with a wooden golem... get the wooden one to place into a relay, set the relay to feed your breeders and the excess to go into a chest.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I'm a huge fan of SoulShards for cows these days, to provide leather for all my books. Since I'm not really into enchanting all that much, I just drop them to their death on top of a transposer, although I suppose I could upgrade that to include a speedy wood golem if necessary.

KhrFreak

Jul 29, 2019
use rp tubes to send your seed where they need to go, they'll go to your farm first assuming it's closer on the line and once your farm is full they'll go to the next available inventory which i'm guessing is a feed station?

Spikednate12

Nov 14, 2012
You could also use Steve's carts, make a farm cart with fertilizer, hydrator, farmer, and some storage and engine of your choice. Then have it pass a cargo manager with a detector rail to empty/refill its inventories. I can't begin to tell you the stacks of seeds and wheat i get. Then pipe it into a chest or two chests (diamond pipe seperates) and use gates to pull from when they get low to the feeders.