Easy way to automate AE2 Inscribers?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
I were assuming worst case in something like old ducts where you can't squish things into the same space.

Last edited:

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
You are in luck! I have pictures from the last time I set this up! The EnderIO conduits use both filters & color coded channels to make sure that anything that goes in the chest (newer incarnations have a buffer chest on the interface, before auto-crafting, you can just use a chest where the interface is) gets sent to the right place. I also have my certus quartz charger & puddle set up in these photos.

11042660_10205010227648731_3206234028880867652_n.jpg

10395822_10205010227288722_6494774241601652056_n.jpg

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Just use export busses to keep redstone and printed silicon in the middle and bottom slots. Then use an interface with a pattern to say that 1 calculation circuit -> 1 calculation processor, on the top. Then use an import bus to pull it out. Don't put the redstone or printed silicon in the patterns. No SFM required, no conduits, but a few channels (4 per inscriber).

That's for the processors. The silicon and circuit recipes should be easy, since they only use one ingredient.

Reactions: Inaeo

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I find it hilarious that a mod like AE2 that is supposed to make automating everything easier struggles with automating something from that very mod. Even Direwolf20 automated the inscriber with Steve's Factory Manager.
I agree here. It bothers me on a fundamental level that it takes more than an introductory level of mastery with the mod in order to automate this stuff using the mod even remotely well. My 5 inscriber setup continues to have problems that I haven't been able to figure out yet, and I'm probably doing it in the worst way possible because following tutorials doesn't teach you dammit about proper or efficient use of subnetworks or any of the other advanced concepts you're supposed to just pick up by osmosis or randomly understand because rawr-I'm-awesome, or something.

I wish I could live without the storage and crafting terminal solution, because AE2 is a lot more frustration than fascination right now, and stuff like this is a big part of why.

Reactions: Plasmasnake

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
I agree here. It bothers me on a fundamental level that it takes more than an introductory level of mastery with the mod in order to automate this stuff using the mod even remotely well. My 5 inscriber setup continues to have problems that I haven't been able to figure out yet, and I'm probably doing it in the worst way possible because following tutorials doesn't teach you dammit about proper or efficient use of subnetworks or any of the other advanced concepts you're supposed to just pick up by osmosis or randomly understand because rawr-I'm-awesome, or something.

I wish I could live without the storage and crafting terminal solution, because AE2 is a lot more frustration than fascination right now, and stuff like this is a big part of why.

Even if its a bit off topic but I think AE2 is in a very difficult position here.
On one hand it is the only mod that gives you all this posibilities you wish. On the other it is also a "high Tech" mod. So it should be difficult to work with this.
Since you can´t make it through expensive materials because then Eary Mid game would be a mess having in mind that you wan´t to use AE2 later. So you won´t setup anything final because you always think you will change it anyway for AE2.
So I think he tried to make it a bit more difficult by adding this early crafting mechanic and the channel system.
Also there are a lot of people that played so many hours in AE1 that we are used to do everything without thinking and thats were minecraft mods usually begin to be forget. Because what modded Minecraft is about is learning new stuff and tinker around.

I do not say that I like the way it works now. But I can understand his reasons to design it that way. Of course its just a wild guess and I don´t know if all this is right.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012

you will like enderIO's terminal then, it's a crafting terminal attached to your chests powered by nutriants

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
You are in luck! I have pictures from the last time I set this up! The EnderIO conduits use both filters & color coded channels to make sure that anything that goes in the chest (newer incarnations have a buffer chest on the interface, before auto-crafting, you can just use a chest where the interface is) gets sent to the right place. I also have my certus quartz charger & puddle set up in these photos.

11042660_10205010227648731_3206234028880867652_n.jpg

10395822_10205010227288722_6494774241601652056_n.jpg
I like your puddle design. I may just have to steal it :p

immibis

Jul 29, 2019

I seriously don't get why people have a problem with inscribers. Here's the simplest setup I can think of:

• Throw down 7 inscribers, one for each recipe. Put the plates in.
  • Export ingredients and import results on the appropriate sides (matches the GUI).
  • Put level emitters on the 4 inscribers with the plate recipes. Set them to turn off the inscribers if you have enough processors/printed silicon. (Alternatively, put the level emitters on the export busses, or use toggle busses which don't need redstone cards).

Might be a little bit tedious to set up, and it uses 24 channels, but there's nothing particularly complex about it - it's a straightforward setup with minimal thinking (except maybe the redstone control part).

Doesn't work fully with autocrafting, but later, when you figure out autocrafting you can replace the gold/diamond/certus export busses with interfaces.

Reactions: Padfoote

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I automated a set with Golems. Of course then the pack updated and the world broke, but I think that Golems don't have to be able to touch a side to access it. Might be remembering the set up wrong though. Even more stupidly simple than even SFM, and far cooler looking.

Railcraft advanced Loaders pull from adjacent inventories. Set three inscribers around one of those and it should auto-draw out finished products. Sandwich a cart between that and an unloader into the top of another one and boom, instant automation, just add the correct material. Silicon is stupid simple to automate, so there's no difficulty there.

That said, don't forget you can rotate inscribers with a wrench.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
This is pretty much how you do everything. Just build it, you won't be sorry. I'm sure not sorry I spent the time, its the central control hub for my Infinity base now, and I love it! The only thing is, I think I'm gonna run out of auto-crafting slots sometime, and will have to expand it somehow. So don't make a pattern for every recipe, only the ones that you really need.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I seriously don't get why people have a problem with inscribers. Here's the simplest setup I can think of:

• Throw down 7 inscribers, one for each recipe. Put the plates in.
  • Export ingredients and import results on the appropriate sides (matches the GUI).
  • Put level emitters on the 4 inscribers with the plate recipes. Set them to turn off the inscribers if you have enough processors/printed silicon. (Alternatively, put the level emitters on the export busses, or use toggle busses which don't need redstone cards).

Might be a little bit tedious to set up, and it uses 24 channels, but there's nothing particularly complex about it - it's a straightforward setup with minimal thinking (except maybe the redstone control part).

Doesn't work fully with autocrafting, but later, when you figure out autocrafting you can replace the gold/diamond/certus export busses with interfaces.
I might switch to level emitters on my silicon inscriber. It's the naughty one right now for reasons I've not figured out. Hadn't considered that approach. I might not have enough channels available on the line I'm using. That'd be typical

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
If you're doing this with AE only mechanics, you're making this more complicated than you need. The thing is, the inscribers and chargers are what you need to build the some of the basic building blocks of your ME network, and as such they're designed to work - and to be automated - before an ME network exists. Basically any mod that can put items into specific sides of a machine and pull items out of specific sides will work here. The only difference to automating, say, TE machines is that the sides aren't configurable.

Reactions: immibis

Maelstraz

Jul 29, 2019
Here comes guide!

Stats:
Mods: AE2. Yep, pure AE.
Speed: slow, upgradeable to medium.
Size: 3x3x4 + additional cables.
Channels: 1 external (8+7 internal).
Patterns: 3 processing patterns: [silicon+redstone+material=processor].

You will need:
- Basic ME system with energy acceptor or vibration chamber. Later you will add some autocrafting CPUs.
- Quartz purification device. (Note: Impossible to make without Extra Utilities or Steve's Factory Manager at this moment. I hope there will be filter function for annihilation planes in the near future)
- All four presses.
- Examples of materials (silicon, redstone, gold, diamond and, most important, pure certus quartz) to add it into filters.
- Materials:

Line of additional cables from your network to ME Interface.
1x ME Interface.
1x Chest.
5x Inscribers.

18x ME Cables.
8x Export Buses.
5x Import Buses.
3x Quartz Fiber.
2x Storage Buses.
2x Capacity Cards.

Here we go.

Caution: a lot of screenshots.
Step 1:
Find an empty corner at your base.
7VLt1Ka.png

Step 2:
Blocks.

You can freely form your contraption and easily mirror it, just be careful with channels.
vJ8s9JU.png

But for some reasons (easier access to chest, partially hidden size) we will use this one.
mEnupxH.png

Step 3:
Add your cables. Floor removed to easier view.

Front.
xf97TtI.png

Side.
eADI315.png

Rear (wall removed).
o3fMpHW.png

Step 4:
Channels.

Now we need to add quartz fiber to divide our sub-system on three parts.

This one for energy from main system.
uuPzKxF.png

These two to separate sub-system.
GMkCXz1.png

KlZpsjF.png

Step 5:
Storage buses.
JOnPINc.png

Step 6:
Import buses for inscribers. One per each.
RCkdobA.png

Step 7:
Export buses.

First, we need to output completed processors back into ME. There goes first capacity card.
HBhIlkS.png

A-a-and the second one.
pCp1sUL.png

There will be input for printed silicon.
3xLqHTK.png

And, finally, five buses for raw materials.
4BpEAoe.png

Step 7-a:
I did remove cables to easier view of buses.
wfIgpB8.png

mTbTtdp.png

Step 8:
It's alive!

As you can see, everything working perfectly: 7 devices on the right ( also output bus) and 8 devices on the left. Isn't that osom? :3
cuSXjXg.png

Step 9:
Blank patterns, crafting CPUs and acceleration cards for Inscribers. Enjoy.

G

Goobaroo

I have some experience with doing an ae2 only solution within my 5x5x5. It is possible but needs some care.

My attention points when making the basic AE2 automated inscribers:
-The 4 press inscibers are easy, 1 interface, import bus and ae2 power required: 3 sides per inscriber.

-For the final inscriber first watch this:
(Autocrafting Final Step with Inscriber - AE2 only.).
-From your main network put down a interface that holds all the patterns.
-Ontop of this interface the second interface that's the seperate sub-network.
-Use a different color cable or lots of anchors,
-Nothing (except the inscriber) may touch the main network unless with cable anchors or fiber (including energy acceptors).
-The inscriber needs 3 storagebusses (top, bottom and side). Rotate inscriber as needed.
-The storagebusses need to know which item to accept (redstone middle, silicon bottom, ect.)
-The inscriber needs 1 import buss on the main network.
-The inscriber needs power (fiber cable, acceptor, cpu, whatever).
-The sub-network needs power (use a fiber between the main and sub-network).

Testing:
-Check if everything is online and has power.
-Are items going in the wrong slot? Check storage busses or rotate inscriber.
-Are items gone? Check if the subnetwork cables are completely isolated (I have to stress, power acceptors or even other inscribers can suck items this way).
-Is the inscriber stuck with the raw materials? Power: The inscriber needs a non-bus cable connection or powered block to function.
-Is the final product stuck? Import buss to main network. Yes you need it.

The final product took up 6 blocks of non-network space (including inscriber) inside my 5x5x5. Not trivial but worth it. Then the "AE2 stuff" mod updated with an advanced inscriber. I suggest you check out that mod if you want a little less tedium but remain fully AE2 (mechanics wise).

Let me know if you run into any problems.

I really do want to get this setup working, but I'm finding the press inscribers are getting stuck in the inscriber. Does this still work in latest AE2? Do you need 7 patterns, one for the 4 pressed items and then the 3 circuits?

G

Goobaroo

That's not quite true. Four of the inscribers need conduits attached on two sides - back and bottom - and the final one that makes the processors needs one additional conduit at the bottom. That's assuming that you're using EnderIO conduits - the conduits can output as well as input, and the power lines share their sides with the item conduits.
Never mind, it's only the final step.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
automating the inscribers is easy, although never do it with buses if you love your CPU. You can do it with the following:

1 ME Interface
Item tubing (you can use EnderIO, Thermal Dynamics, Logistic Pipes, even Mekanism, it doesn't matter)
5x Inscribers

First three inscribers are easy. Put in the press, hook up the item tubing to the input side, use a filter so that only the appropriate item goes in, set up something that pulls out from the output side.

Silicon press is automated by having the Interface automatically try to supply one silicon. Because silicon preses are only used in the making of finished chipsets, you can 'backstuff' them.
Redstone is also requested by the Interface, filtered to only be permitted in the final chipset inscriber.

Only the three raw chipsets (gold, pure certus, diamond) are permitted to go into the final press in the chip slot. This will always have redstone because of the Interface, and will always have a silicon chipset because silicon is always requested and goes through the silicon inscriber automatically. So any time you insert a raw chipset, you get a finished chipset.

Crafting recipes in the ME Interface for 1 <material> = 1 finished chipset, so a total of three.

Logic process:

Request a chipset. Raw material goes to the ME Interface, is pulled out by your item tubing to the appropriate inscriber (the only one it can fit in). Pressed into raw chipset, automatically pulled out by your item tubing to the final inscriber, which already has redstone and silicon chipsets. Presses again, and is pulled out by item tubing to be put back into the ME Interface it came from.

Done.

Personally, I like using TD for this because I like watching them zip around, but YMMV.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Logisitics Pipes are also good, especially if you use the sneaky upgrades to pull out of sides they're not touching. That can seriously compact the setup.

diehard586

Jul 29, 2019
I use Steve's Factory Manager, i use 9 inscribers : 3 of them are making the silicon, one for diamond, one for pure certus quartz and another for the gold, and the other 3 to finish the process, so i pipe one storage bus... its not fully automatic, you have to place the resources in a chest, but feeding the chest entire with all resources is enough to make about 40 drives of 64k... if u want some pics let me know !