Easy way to automate AE2 Inscribers?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
@diehard586, go 1 step further and automate the raw materials. I use a full size interface and set the config in it for all of the raw ingredients. I also put a crafting card in it as well in case it needs to create silicon. Then in the Factory Manager I usa a conditional between the trigger and inputs to monitor what is in the output chest at the end. Any time I make anything AE related the Factory Manager automatically replaces the chips used.

T

To Asgaard

If your interested, I just did a video covering full automation using a single inscriber with steve's factory manager. I'll include the link below. Also in my second ae2 tips and tricks video I cover how to automate it with the 5 inscribers method if thats more your style :) But here's a link for the single design that uses very little resources or blocks and is very compact.

T

To Asgaard

Hehe, well ive been making videos and all still, just stopped posting each one of my lp series episodes on here. Recently started a short series covering some advanced ae2 tips and tricks, and did a mod showcase that realkc had suggested I do covering tainted magic. Just figured posting on the new youtubers section every day had gotten a bit redundant :)

Bigdbigd03

Jul 29, 2019
Are you gonna keep doing it a little bit, I follow that thread you know. That's how I get to your vids everyday.

T

To Asgaard

Oh, im sorry :p I just figured everyone was getting them through youtube, but sure, I can resume posting on that thread :)

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Here is how I automated my circuit setup, it was the first automation I did as AE2 requires a LOT of processors.

I use five inscriber machines...
One for making the Pressed Silicon, then one for each of the three processor types (Logic, Calculation and Engineering) and then
a final one to make all three types of processors from the various logic circuits.

I suggest placing all 5 inscribers in a row, with a quartz connector providing a power to one of the machines, since they are all connected, they will all have power.

I am assuming that there is a basic ME network up with some storage, some basic power and
a means of turning sand into Silicon. Oh, and some sand in your network storage somewhere.

0. Silicon Maker
0.1 You will need 1 x Pulveriser (or equiv machine), 1 ME Interface and 1 ME Import bus
0.2 Place down machine facing you
0.3 Take one unit of sand and pulverise it, it will turn into a unit of silicon
0.4 Attach ME Interface to machine (I usually apply them to the top), update Machine UI if needed
to accept input from side that has ME Interface attached
0.5 Create a processing pattern using pattern terminal (1 silicon using 1 sand), insert this pattern into
the ME Interface
0.6 Attach ME Import bus to machine, once again configure machine as needed

Your AE2 system will now produce Silicon whenever needed and from crafting terminal.

1. Inscriber Silicon Press
1.1 You will need 1 x Inscriber machine, 1 Silicon Press, 1 ME Interface and 1 ME Import bus
1.2 Place down machine facing you
1.3 Insert Silicon press into top-most slot, it is never removed
1.4 Connect to ME network
1.5 Make 1 unit of Silicon by pulverising one unit of sand
1.6 Insert Silicon into middle slot of inscriber
1.7 Remove Pressed Silicon when machine finishes (takes a few seconds)
1.8 Connect ME Import Bus to front of Inscriber machine
1.9 Right click ME Import bus to bring up UI
1.10 Drag and drop the pressed silicon into the single slot in UI, this will
instruct the ME Import bus to only remove Pressed Silicon
1.11 Connect ME Interface to top of Inscriber machine
1.12 Create processing pattern via crafting interface (1 Pressed silicon using 1 Silicon) and
insert this into the ME interface
1.13 Create the following upgrade card (http://ae-mod.info/Crafting-Card/), NEI will help you with plan
1.14 Right Click once more on the ME Interface at the top of the machine, drag and drop the crafting card upgrade to one of the four upgrade slots of the ME Export bus. This will instruct the ME Interface to have a unit of silicon crafted if none are present in inventory, this is critical to automating the whole process!

Your AE2 system will now auto generate Pressed Silicon whenever needed and from crafting terminal

2. Inscriber - Printed Logic Circuits
2.1 You will need 1 x Inscriber machine, 1 Logic Press, 1 ME Interface, 1 ME Import bus and 1 ME Export bus
2.2 Place machine down facing you
2.3 Insert Logic Press into top-most slot, it is never removed
2.4 Connect to ME network
2.5 Insert 1 ingot of Gold into middle slot
2.6 Remove Printed Logic Circuit (will take a few seconds for inscriber to complete)
2.7 Connect ME Import bus to front of machine and bring up UI
2.8 Right click the ME Import bus to bring up UI
2.9 Drag and drop the Printed Logic Circuit into the single slot in UI, this will
instruct the ME Import bus to only remove Printed Logic Circuits
2.10 Connect ME Export bus to back of Inscriber machine, drag and drop the gold ingot into the
single slot in UI, this will instruct the ME network to continually insert gold ingots into the machine,
the machine can only hold one ingot at a time, this way the machine will always be ready to produce
a printed logic circuit on demand.
2.11 Connect ME Interface to top side of Inscriber machine
2.12 Create processing pattern via crafting interface (1 Printed Logic Circuit using 1 Gold ingot) and
2.13 Connect ME Interface, ME Export Bus and ME Interface to ME network
2.14 Repeat step 2.5

Your AE2 system will now auto generate a printed Logic Circuit, you should have TWO
Printed Logic Circuits, you will need both of these to complete this task.

3. Inscriber - Printed Calculation circuits
Exactly the same as the 'Inscriber - Printed Logic Circuits', except
3.1 Replace 'Logic Press' with 'Calculation Press'
3.2 Replace 'Gold Ingot' with 'Pure Certus Quarts crystal'

Your AE2 system will now auto generate a printed Calculation Circuit

4. Inscriber - Printed Engineering circuits
4.1 Replace 'Logic Press' with 'Engineering Press'
4.2 Replace 'Gold Ingot' with a 'Diamond'

Your AE2 system will now auto generate a printed Engineering Circuit

The final inscriber is a little more complicated, but worth it.

5. Inscriber Processor assembly
5.1 You will need 1 x Inscriber machine, 1 ME Interface, 1 ME Import bus and 2 ME Export busses
5.2 Place machine down facing you
5.3 Place an ME Export Bus at rear of Inscriber machine
5.4 Right-Click on the ME Export bus at rear of machine, drag and drop one piece of redstone
into the single slot on the UI, this will instruct the ME Export bus to insert redstone into the machine,
the machine will only accept one redstone at a time, this redstone will only go into the middle input slot
of the inscriber press.
5.5 Place an ME Export bus at underside/bottom of Inscriber machine
5.6 Right-Click on the ME Export bus at underside/bottom of machine, drag and drop one piece of
pressed Silicon into the single slot on the UI, this will instruct the ME Export bus to insert Pressed Silicon
into the machine, which will go into the bottom-most input slot of the Silicon press, the machine can only
take one silicon at a time.
5.7 Create TWO of the following upgrade cards (http://ae-mod.info/Crafting-Card/), NEI will help you with plan
5.8 Right Click once more on the ME Export bus at the underside of the machine, drag and drop one crafting
card upgrade to one of the four upgrade slots of the ME Export bus. This will instruct the ME Interface to
have a pressed silicon crafted if none are present in inventory, this is critical to automating the whole process! The second crafting card will be used later in this instruction set
5.9 Place an ME Interface at top side of Inscriber machine,
5.9.0 Now use the Inscriber machine to Manually craft an example of each type of processor via the Inscriber's UI.
This is why you were instructed to create TWO examples of each of the printed circuits earlier.
5.9.1 Create three crafting processing patterns using the pattern crafting terminal as follows:
5.9.2 1 x Logic Processor using 1 x Printed Logic Circuit
5.9.3 1 x Calculation Processor using 1 x Printed Calculation Circuit
5.9.4 1 x Engineering Processor using 1 x Printed Engineering Circuit
5.9.5 Insert the crafting plans into the ME Interface
5.9.6 Insert the second crafting card into one of the upgrade slots of the ME Interface, this will instruct the ME Interface
to have a printed circuit crafted if none of the required type are in inventory, critical to automating the process!
5.10 Place an ME Import bus at front of machine
5.11 Create the following upgrade card (http://ae-mod.info/Capacity-Card/), NEI will help you with plan
5.12 Right click on the ME Import bus and drag and drop the capacity card into one of the four upgrade slots
5.13 Drag and drop each of the Newly created processors into the UI of the ME import bus, this will instruct the
ME Import bus to only remove completed processors

This should be it! By now your AE network will be able to auto craft all of the Processors within AE2.

The crafting upgrade cards are absolutely critical, and provide the solution with the intelligence to
auto build sub-components as needed.

I know this has been awful wordy, but it worked for me and I have no idea how to make videos, and there are people
way better than me at making them anyway.

I hope this is of help :) Please let me know if there are any errors and I will update.

-Wuffle!

Last edited:

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I once made a script for CC that used open peripherals to automate it. It can use 1 inscriber for all circuits. However, I never actually integrated it with any ME system as I barely use that mod. I probably have it somewhere if anyone wants it though. If I remember correctly it used a table to know where everything should go and thus in theory should be able to automate a lot of machines with this script by just altering the table.

Reactions: WuffleFluffy

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Here is how I automated my circuit setup, it was the first automation I did as AE2 requires a LOT of processors.

I use five inscriber machines...
One for making the Pressed Silicon, then one for each of the three processor types (Logic, Calculation and Engineering) and then
a final one to make all three types of processors from the various logic circuits.

I suggest placing all 5 inscribers in a row, with a quartz connector providing a power to one of the machines, since they are all connected, they will all have power.

I am assuming that there is a basic ME network up with some storage, some basic power and
a means of turning sand into Silicon. Oh, and some sand in your network storage somewhere.

0. Silicon Maker
0.1 You will need 1 x Pulveriser (or equiv machine), 1 ME Interface and 1 ME Import bus
0.2 Place down machine facing you
0.3 Take one unit of sand and pulverise it, it will turn into a unit of silicon
0.4 Attach ME Interface to machine (I usually apply them to the top), update Machine UI if needed
to accept input from side that has ME Interface attached
0.5 Create a processing pattern using pattern terminal (1 silicon using 1 sand), insert this pattern into
the ME Interface
0.6 Attach ME Import bus to machine, once again configure machine as needed

Your AE2 system will now produce Silicon whenever needed and from crafting terminal.

1. Inscriber Silicon Press
1.1 You will need 1 x Inscriber machine, 1 Silicon Press, 1 ME Interface and 1 ME Import bus
1.2 Place down machine facing you
1.3 Insert Silicon press into top-most slot, it is never removed
1.4 Connect to ME network
1.5 Make 1 unit of Silicon by pulverising one unit of sand
1.6 Insert Silicon into middle slot of inscriber
1.7 Remove Pressed Silicon when machine finishes (takes a few seconds)
1.8 Connect ME Import Bus to front of Inscriber machine
1.9 Right click ME Import bus to bring up UI
1.10 Drag and drop the pressed silicon into the single slot in UI, this will
instruct the ME Import bus to only remove Pressed Silicon
1.11 Connect ME Interface to top of Inscriber machine
1.12 Create processing pattern via crafting interface (1 Pressed silicon using 1 Silicon) and
1.13 Create the following upgrade card (http://ae-mod.info/Crafting-Card/), NEI will help you with plan
1.14 Right Click once more on the ME Interface at the top of the machine, drag and drop the crafting card upgrade to one of the four upgrade slots of the ME Export bus. This will instruct the ME Interface to have a unit of silicon crafted if none are present in inventory, this is critical to automating the whole process!

Your AE2 system will now auto generate Pressed Silicon whenever needed and from crafting terminal

2. Inscriber - Printed Logic Circuits
2.1 You will need 1 x Inscriber machine, 1 Logic Press, 1 ME Interface, 1 ME Import bus and 1 ME Export bus
2.2 Place machine down facing you
2.3 Insert Logic Press into top-most slot, it is never removed
2.4 Connect to ME network
2.5 Insert 1 ingot of Gold into middle slot
2.6 Remove Printed Logic Circuit (will take a few seconds for inscriber to complete)
2.7 Connect ME Import bus to front of machine and bring up UI
2.8 Right click the ME Import bus to bring up UI
2.9 Drag and drop the Printed Logic Circuit into the single slot in UI, this will
instruct the ME Import bus to only remove Printed Logic Circuits
2.10 Connect ME Export bus to back of Inscriber machine, drag and drop the gold ingot into the
single slot in UI, this will instruct the ME network to continually insert gold ingots into the machine,
the machine can only hold one ingot at a time, this way the machine will always be ready to produce
a printed logic circuit on demand.
2.11 Connect ME Interface to top side of Inscriber machine
2.12 Create processing pattern via crafting interface (1 Printed Logic Circuit using 1 Gold ingot) and
2.13 Connect ME Interface, ME Export Bus and ME Interface to ME network
2.14 Repeat step 2.5

Your AE2 system will now auto generate a printed Logic Circuit, you should have TWO
Printed Logic Circuits, you will need both of these to complete this task.

3. Inscriber - Printed Calculation circuits
3.1 Replace 'Logic Press' with 'Calculation Press'
3.2 Replace 'Gold Ingot' with 'Pure Certus Quarts crystal'

Your AE2 system will now auto generate a printed Calculation Circuit

4. Inscriber - Printed Engineering circuits
4.1 Replace 'Logic Press' with 'Engineering Press'
4.2 Replace 'Gold Ingot' with a 'Diamond'

Your AE2 system will now auto generate a printed Engineering Circuit

The final inscriber is a little more complicated, but worth it.

5. Inscriber Processor assembly
5.1 You will need 1 x Inscriber machine, 1 ME Interface, 1 ME Import bus and 2 ME Export busses
5.2 Place machine down facing you
5.3 Place an ME Export Bus at rear of Inscriber machine
5.4 Right-Click on the ME Export bus at rear of machine, drag and drop one piece of redstone
into the single slot on the UI, this will instruct the ME Export bus to insert redstone into the machine,
the machine will only accept one redstone at a time, this redstone will only go into the middle input slot
of the inscriber press.
5.5 Place an ME Export bus at underside/bottom of Inscriber machine
5.6 Right-Click on the ME Export bus at underside/bottom of machine, drag and drop one piece of
pressed Silicon into the single slot on the UI, this will instruct the ME Export bus to insert Pressed Silicon
into the machine, which will go into the bottom-most input slot of the Silicon press, the machine can only
take one silicon at a time.
5.7 Create TWO of the following upgrade cards (http://ae-mod.info/Crafting-Card/), NEI will help you with plan
5.8 Right Click once more on the ME Export bus at the underside of the machine, drag and drop one crafting
card upgrade to one of the four upgrade slots of the ME Export bus. This will instruct the ME Interface to
have a pressed silicon crafted if none are present in inventory, this is critical to automating the whole process! The second crafting card will be used later in this instruction set
5.9 Place an ME Interface at top side of Inscriber machine,
5.9.0 Now use the Inscriber machine to Manually craft an example of each type of processor via the Inscriber's UI.
This is why you were instructed to create TWO examples of each of the printed circuits earlier.
5.9.1 Create three crafting processing patterns using the pattern crafting terminal as follows:
5.9.2 1 x Logic Processor using 1 x Printed Logic Circuit
5.9.3 1 x Calculation Processor using 1 x Printed Calculation Circuit
5.9.4 1 x Engineering Processor using 1 x Printed Engineering Circuit
5.9.5 Insert the crafting plans into the ME Interface
5.9.6 Insert the second crafting card into one of the upgrade slots of the ME Interface, this will instruct the ME Interface
to have a printed circuit crafted if none of the required type are in inventory, critical to automating the process!
5.10 Place an ME Import bus at front of machine
5.11 Create the following upgrade card (http://ae-mod.info/Capacity-Card/), NEI will help you with plan
5.12 Right click on the ME Import bus and drag and drop the capacity card into one of the four upgrade slots
5.13 Drag and drop each of the Newly created processors into the UI of the ME import bus, this will instruct the
ME Import bus to only remove completed processors

This should be it! By now your AE network will be able to auto craft all of the Processors within AE2.

The crafting upgrade cards are absolutely critical, and provide the solution with the intelligence to
auto build sub-components as needed.

I know this has been awful wordy, but it worked for me and I have no idea how to make videos, and there are people
way better than me at making them anyway.

I hope this is of help :) Please let me know if there are any errors and I will update.

-Wuffle!

So far as a step by step breakdown goes, this is top notch. I always prefer text over video when available, so this is a nice reference if/when I derp things up. I'd give it a second like if I could.

Reactions: WuffleFluffy

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
So far as a step by step breakdown goes, this is top notch. I always prefer text over video when available, so this is a nice reference if/when I derp things up. I'd give it a second like if I could.

Thankyou very much for your kind words :)

-Wuffle!

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Putting the whole process for making all three processors through the same inscriber can be done but it looks ungainly and it's irritating and fiddly.

BOOM

Agreed. If you want trouble free processor automation you need an inscriber for each step (5 minimum as mentioned earlier. I end up with an inscriber for each processor type). Using imports and exports and being respectful of the input/output sides on the inscriber has always yielded trouble free processor automation for me and is very simple once you get it in your head, AE got this right imo. Using Steves factory manager is not easier, but programmers find it more fun. I find it more convoluted but Im a nuts and bolts guy and AE is very straightforward automation.