Easy way to automate AE2 Inscribers?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Benie76

Jul 29, 2019
Working with the AE2 Inscribers manually is tedious and boring. I've been looking for a good, reliable way (that's also easy) to automate them.

I just want to do a simple, yet useful setup. Maybe I'm asking too much. I mean, could it be as simple as slapping five ME Interfaces on the back of the Inscribers, each having an encoded pattern to tell it "If I need this type of press, pull out this and then put it back into the network"?
And then when it comes to the processors, have all of them also as encoded patterns to tell it to throw all three to make the processor, then throw it back into the network? Would this work?

Last edited:

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Simplest is just 5 inscribers. One for each of the presses then one to acutally make finished processors. Connect an interface to each and call it done.

Benie76

Jul 29, 2019
When I do this, it inserts them, but it's not pulling them out. Am I going to have to put input busses on the bottom of them to pull the chips out?

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Yes you will need import busses.

If you want a more complicated setup use a Steve Factory Manager instead. That way you only need one channel. Where the simple setup will use 10 channels.

Benie76

Jul 29, 2019
(sighs).. AE2 is doing it wrong. I told it to make three Calculation Processors. It's putting the Logic Circuits and Printed Silicon in the center slot instead of where they're supposed to go.

I'm sorry, but this is more frustrating than easy. It needs to learn the shape of where they go in. I tried to teach it, yet it's.. doing it wrong. They're all going in the middle.
Please don't tell me I'm stuck with Steve's Factory Manager to do this properly.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
The inscribers inventory is sided. So you can't automate them directly with an interface with a recipe.

Rather create a subnetwork with a me chest to be an inventory that you attach an interface to. Use export busses on each side of the inscribers With import busses to extract the components back into the network.

Reactions: Padfoote

mostlikely

Jul 29, 2019
I have some experience with doing an ae2 only solution within my 5x5x5. It is possible but needs some care.

My attention points when making the basic AE2 automated inscribers:
-The 4 press inscibers are easy, 1 interface, import bus and ae2 power required: 3 sides per inscriber.

-For the final inscriber first watch this:
(Autocrafting Final Step with Inscriber - AE2 only.).
-From your main network put down a interface that holds all the patterns.
-Ontop of this interface the second interface that's the seperate sub-network.
-Use a different color cable or lots of anchors,
-Nothing (except the inscriber) may touch the main network unless with cable anchors or fiber (including energy acceptors).
-The inscriber needs 3 storagebusses (top, bottom and side). Rotate inscriber as needed.
-The storagebusses need to know which item to accept (redstone middle, silicon bottom, ect.)
-The inscriber needs 1 import buss on the main network.
-The inscriber needs power (fiber cable, acceptor, cpu, whatever).
-The sub-network needs power (use a fiber between the main and sub-network).

Testing:
-Check if everything is online and has power.
-Are items going in the wrong slot? Check storage busses or rotate inscriber.
-Are items gone? Check if the subnetwork cables are completely isolated (I have to stress, power acceptors or even other inscribers can suck items this way).
-Is the inscriber stuck with the raw materials? Power: The inscriber needs a non-bus cable connection or powered block to function.
-Is the final product stuck? Import buss to main network. Yes you need it.

The final product took up 6 blocks of non-network space (including inscriber) inside my 5x5x5. Not trivial but worth it. Then the "AE2 stuff" mod updated with an advanced inscriber. I suggest you check out that mod if you want a little less tedium but remain fully AE2 (mechanics wise).

Let me know if you run into any problems.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
What I did was use 5 inscribers (one for processor assembly, one each for the presses), then just connect Ender IO item conduits (in/out mode on one side of the inscribers) with item filters so that each inscriber slot only can get what it is supposed to use.

Then I have a single chest with an ME interface facing it. It receives everything and briefly holds the printed silicon etc. before it is exported to the last inscriber. Rather simple setup and seems to be very robust at least.

Last edited:

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I'd go with the EnderIO method. It's simple, easy, and you can automate it long before you actually get to the point of ME crafting, at which time, one interface is all you need to sort it.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
I personally do not like how AE2 crafting is done. At least at the beginning until you get it automized there are many players just getting scared.
Once its automized I like it a lot more then the old way of doing :)

Acctually there are a lot of build out there to do this. Also for the AE2 Seeds. Just google a bit you will find tons.
my personal favourite with Steves manager is this one: http://imgur.com/a/G04IO

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I personally do not like how AE2 crafting is done. At least at the beginning until you get it automized there are many players just getting scared.
Once its automized I like it a lot more then the old way of doing :)

In the beginning you automate it by using a wrench to rotate 1 inscriber, you can then attach 3 vanilla hoppers to the left(top) top (Center) and right(bottom) sides. You obviously need to change the plate, but you can easily batch out parts in bulk without babysitting the process.

You *could* link up 5 inscribers using only hoppers like this to make whatever CPUs you needed automatically. But by then you should/would have enough resources to use export buses or item conduits with filters.

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
For the easiest way to automate inscribers, you need:

(1) One ME interface
(2) One chest
(3) 5 inscribers
(4) some EnderIO item conduits
(5) some EnderIO basic conduit filters.
(6) some EnderIO energy conduits for the power supply (if you want to be compact - they can share the space with the item conduits)

Place each of the four inscriber presses into one inscriber. Inscribers are sided, which means items sent into a specific side will always end up in specific slots. With the right combination of filters and colored channels you will be able to make a setup where all you need to do is to place the raw materials for a processor in the chest, and the conduits will route them to the correct destinations. You will need to extract the output from the four inscribers with the presses and send it to the fifth inscriber using the correct slots, and from there you can extract the finished processors. Now attach an ME interface to the chest and place the processing templates for the various processors in it, then let the conduits insert the finished processors into the interface.

Space requirement: 2x5x2 block spaces plus one above the last inscriber since you'll need to insert the circuits there to combine with the silicon chip inserted from below (IIRC). This includes the power supply. While you're at it, you can automate the Charger as part of the same setup.

For an AE only solution you'd need some export and import buses, and since no AE bus can import as well as export, you would need more sides to be connected to something, which would drastically increase the size and the complexity of the build, as well as requiring a number of channels (possibly about 10-15).

Last edited:
Reactions: malicious_bloke

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Putting the whole process for making all three processors through the same inscriber can be done but it looks ungainly and it's irritating and fiddly.

BOOM

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Sfm. Watch kingdaddydmac's tutorial
I'm sorry, but this is more frustrating than easy. It needs to learn the shape of where they go in. I tried to teach it, yet it's.. doing it wrong. They're all going in the middle.
Please don't tell me I'm stuck with Steve's Factory Manager to do this properly.

Bolded the relevant part in the quote.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
In all honesty the neatest way of doing this is with Steve's Factory Manager, but you are right that it gets everywhere and using it all the time gets boring :p

The nusience of it is the Inscriber is it's highly sided. But this can be achieved with piping systems, or even hoppers if you have it rotated right.
Press can be left in the Inscriber. Material (or redstone for combining the printed circuits and silicion) goes in the sides, other than the front. Printed Circuits and Silicon go in top and bottom (although it doesn't matter too much which goes where.) Output can be pulled out the front.

That's 5 inscribers, 4 of which needing 3 faces (a side and front, with power to the back), and the 5th needing 5 (front, side, top and bottom and power to the back). If you are using less than 5 inscribers, then the only realistic way is sfm. Most piping systems can handle this, but I'd recommend enderIO, Thermal Dynamics or Extra Utilities pipes over Buildcraft (Although it's possible to do). (You could even set up a sub ae system to do this, or use Logistics pipes.)

EDIT: I kinda wanna do this with buildcratft now...

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
In all honesty the neatest way of doing this is with Steve's Factory Manager, but you are right that it gets everywhere and using it all the time gets boring :p

The nusience of it is the Inscriber is it's highly sided. But this can be achieved with piping systems, or even hoppers if you have it rotated right.
Press can be left in the Inscriber. Material (or redstone for combining the printed circuits and silicion) goes in the sides, other than the front. Printed Circuits and Silicon go in top and bottom (although it doesn't matter too much which goes where.) Output can be pulled out the front.

That's 5 inscribers, 4 of which needing 3 faces (a side and front, with power to the back), and the 5th needing 5 (front, side, top and bottom and power to the back). If you are using less than 5 inscribers, then the only realistic way is sfm. Most piping systems can handle this, but I'd recommend enderIO, Thermal Dynamics or Extra Utilities pipes over Buildcraft (Although it's possible to do). (You could even set up a sub ae system to do this, or use Logistics pipes.)

EDIT: I kinda wanna do this with buildcratft now...
That's not quite true. Four of the inscribers need conduits attached on two sides - back and bottom - and the final one that makes the processors needs one additional conduit at the bottom. That's assuming that you're using EnderIO conduits - the conduits can output as well as input, and the power lines share their sides with the item conduits.