Early Power In A Legitimate Survival

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Jul 29, 2019
So I'm starting a new world with the Monster pack v1.1.1, and am wondering what to use for power. Normally, I start with regular coal based steam engines and then just use masses of lava from the nether. I wanted to do things a little differently this game, and am wondering what different but effective ways there are of getting power, both early and mid game.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
My usual methods (I'm not too keen on nether lava) would be to use something around. Either an oil spout that was nearby (the refinery only takes a bunch of glass and 4 diamonds, manual refilling is easily enough to get you power until you get further), or possibly look into tree farms.

If you're in monster (with Blood Magic, I think), you could use the serenade of the nether ritual, and begin powering your base off your own (or possibly someone else's) life essence, you could also use the lava crystal, but I think the ritual would be the more efficient method.

Reactions: Elec332

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
RF. Don't disrespect.
I started with a basic auto tree-farm, at first I liked EU, so it ran on that.
The tree farm was completely automatic, self-powered and delivered a lot of charcoal, wood logs and apples.

The charcoal was shared between powering the tree farm and the rest was delivered to a barrel ready for collection, while it was slowly outputted and transported via BuildCraft pipes to power all my machines.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
If you're in monster (with Blood Magic, I think), you could use the serenade of the nether ritual, and begin powering your base off your own (or possibly someone else's) life essence, you could also use the lava crystal, but I think the ritual would be the more efficient method.

If you enable BM, that will work. Serenade of the Nether will be useful for large power rooms, while the Lava Crystal is good for a quick kick-start should you lose power to your AE system, or to cook food / stone with.

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
MFR Bioreactor+generator seems to be super effective you you bother to run it at maximum effectivity (not too hard to do).

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
For me, the Engineer's Toolbox+GasCraft hydrogen combo works fairly well, since algae can be found almost anywhere there's water. Works really well mid-late game too with super algae as a renewable power source, especially since I found an incredibly cheap&easy method for farming it.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
For me, the Engineer's Toolbox+GasCraft hydrogen combo works fairly well, since algae can be found almost anywhere there's water. Works really well mid-late game too with super algae as a renewable power source, especially since I found an incredibly cheap&easy method for farming it.
You have me interested there, how do you harvest them?

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
You have me interested there, how do you harvest them?
1. Dig a 5x5 ditch
2. Make a 1x5 strip of water/nutrient water source blocks from center to center
3. Plant algae on all five
4. Place vacuum hopper above center algae
5. ???
6. PROFIT

Minecraft vanilla mechanics are all sorts of funky, so the algae grows on the flowing water. Once another piece grows adjacent to one already on flowing water, the block update makes it realize it's not on a valid spot and pops both off, vacuum hopper collects.
Can also be easily harvested with an autonomous activator and a scythe, or a stevescart with the mower attachment.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
Nice. That's really cheap and easy. My personal setup uses SFM, but I kinda went a bit too big on the "go big or go home" principle, so it causes quite some lag when it runs :p

Last edited:

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Early game or REALLY early game? For the latter, I suggest the XU Survivalist Generator, because it's cheap and efficient. Past that I suggest other things, but that thing is dirt cheap. So cheap, that energy storage isn't a option, nor is energy transfer via cables and the like, at the stages where one can first get it.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
I have perfectly working (if totally overkill) algae farm :p
PBT0twh.png

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I have perfectly working (if totally overkill) algae farm :p
I could do that with Engineers Toolbox alone, and generate the hydrogen in situ, and send it to my base easily. What exactly is the benefit of using SFM for your algae farm again? Because I don't see a benefit.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
No real benefit, it's just the first thing that came to my mind when I first implemented it.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
No real benefit, it's just the first thing that came to my mind when I first implemented it.
Fair enough. The setup with Engineers Toolbox is not much more useful, but it is cheaper. Actually, if SFM cables can send liquids and items, then they are better for this, if not as cheap.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
How well does ET deal with the occasional normal algae? With SFM I can redirect it to a separate barrel and deal with it accordingly (my photobioreactor assmbly, managed by a second SFM manager, has one dedicated to process those once the amount reaches a certain level).