Early game power for quarry

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zaekeon

Jul 29, 2019
What strategies do you all use for early game power and how do you get it to your quarry in 1.6.4

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Magmatic dynamos fed with lava from the Nether via Ender-Thermic Pump and Ender tanks. I find ender tanks a bit easier to build than tesseracts early on because they don't require a bunch of processing machines.

Generally I find that if I have enough resources to build the quarry itself I have enough resources to get to the nether, kill some blazes for the tanks and setup my pump.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't used a quarry in ages but the Tesseract is the best method probably. I go for more inane methods such as a SC mining system using a mining cart followed by a track removal cart...it just takes a bit of set up and around 2 stacks of rails. Also I have been really enjoying the Engineers Toolbox Husher module with slickwater. Not to mention Blood Magics Ritual of Magnetism or the Mekanism Digital miner.

krugle

Jul 29, 2019
I use 16 hobby steam engines an aqueous accumulator, then just 4 diamond chests for valuables and 1 one for cobble and dirt. 1 stack of coal for each is enough to quarry out 8 chunks which usually yields my initial investment of coal back.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
By the time I run a quarry I have a full automated processing setup that will handle the quarry flat out and more than enough power to run it flat out so I only ever really use tesseracts, I run it late since I find mining almost a meditative exercise..soothing.

Dullemarc

Jul 29, 2019
By the time I run a quarry I have a full automated processing setup that will handle the quarry flat out and more than enough power to run it flat out so I only ever really use tesseracts, I run it late since I find mining almost a meditative exercise..soothing.

This ^^

Reactions: MigukNamja

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
When I build a quarry I often use a mfr tree farm to power it. I often make a quarry asap and since endertanks need obsidian they are at that point not an option.

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
A stirling engine.

No but really, I don't use quarries or other automated mining systems, since for me it's more fun to mine if I need more resources instead of drowning in stuff. Also, it makes a nice looking mine under my base :D

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
When I build a quarry I often use a mfr tree farm to power it. I often make a quarry asap and since endertanks need obsidian they are at that point not an option.
If you have the diamonds to craft a quarry then you should be able to at least craft a diamond pick and mine the 4 pieces of obsidian needed for a pair of ender tanks. With TE you can craft an igneous extruder and make 4 obsidian using overworld surface lava. With Tinker's Construct you can get obsidian with a steel tool. The options for getting obsidian are very, very simple and available to you if you can afford a quarry.

BYDHTTMWFI

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
If you have the diamonds to craft a quarry then you should be able to at least craft a diamond pick and mine the 4 pieces of obsidian needed for a pair of ender tanks. With TE you can craft an igneous extruder and make 4 obsidian using overworld surface lava. With Tinker's Construct you can get obsidian with a steel tool. The options for getting obsidian are very, very simple and available to you if you can afford a quarry.

BYDHTTMWFI

I always have a hard time finding diamonds by myself so as soon as a get enough diamonds to make a quarry i stop the mining ands start making it and since I have my own server wich is 24/7 I don't realy have to worry about the speed.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
It just takes six magmatic dynamos to power a quarry a full speed. If you want the fastest powerful method of getting a full speed quarry with the least work then lava is your answer. Once you actually try to do this as early as possible you will find it isnt that hard. Now if you sneak in ee3 into your mod pack tesseracts are a bit easier to make then ender tanks since you can make ender pearls with iron.

Redius

Jul 29, 2019
Mek turbines with universal cable is a cheap and easy way to provide "free" power for a quarry.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019

It takes diamonds to make a quarry. If you have diamonds you have obsidian. That is just vanilla minecraft. If you spend every diamond on your quarry then you extend your current branch mine for the 5-15m it takes to find 3 more diamonds to make a diamond pick.

if you have computercraft you can make a mining turtle. can turtles still use ruby tools to mine obsidian?
if you have Thermal Expansion you can make an igneous extruder or the new block breaker.
if you have AE you can make a transition plane.
if you have TiC you can make a pick that will mine obsidian without needing any diamonds.

Heck, there is even a shapeless crafting recipe that uses a tin can of lava and a tin can of water to make a block of obsidian. I can't remember which pack I saw that in or which mod added it.

Unless somebody gave you the quarry I find it inconceivable that you can have a quarry and not have the ability to get the obsidian for an ender tank. :)

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
It takes diamonds to make a quarry. If you have diamonds you have obsidian. That is just vanilla minecraft. If you spend every diamond on your quarry then you extend your current branch mine for the 5-15m it takes to find 3 more diamonds to make a diamond pick.

if you have computercraft you can make a mining turtle. can turtles still use ruby tools to mine obsidian?
if you have Thermal Expansion you can make an igneous extruder or the new block breaker.
if you have AE you can make a transition plane.
if you have TiC you can make a pick that will mine obsidian without needing any diamonds.

Heck, there is even a shapeless crafting recipe that uses a tin can of lava and a tin can of water to make a block of obsidian. I can't remember which pack I saw that in or which mod added it.

Unless somebody gave you the quarry I find it inconceivable that you can have a quarry and not have the ability to get the obsidian for an ender tank. :)

Well since I played modded minecraft I always made a quarry asap and some non-nether related power source maby I indeed need to take a look at some other ways to get my energy.
Turtles being able to use rubies is part of misc pheripherals and my private modpack doesn't have it. Also as for finding diamonds I let a turtle create a tunnel for about 600 blocks on y 6 and walked with it not a single diamond to be found so thats about my luck with them. Also I used the turltes excavate program to let him dig few holes of 16by16 only 1 diamond got mined and no diamonds left in the walls.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't mean use the turtle for mining to find diamonds, I meant use it to mine obsidian.

As far as finding diamonds go, I just go down to 13 and start digging a 1x2 tunnel. I'll go till my noob pick wears out, drop down a tool station, repair my noob pick, move over 3 rows and dig back. Methodically mining like this takes a lot of the luck out of it. Played so much dwarf fortress that painstakingly revealing every block in a particular mining area is 2nd nature.

Zen300

Jul 29, 2019
For me to have the Quarry up and running I have a check list:
1. Power to Run it non-stop till it finishes, preferably a mobile power source.
2. Way to store the incoming material.
3. Way to process the incoming ores.

I always have the first two done, the power itself changes based on what I feel like. he storage is normally an AE system, but with my last one I learned something. Since my very first quarry was a huge pain in the ass I have moved to using DSUs to store cobble/dirt/sand/gravel in bulk. And what I learned was a single 16k Storage cell was enough to handle a single quarry without filling up on Bytes or types (and it had mined 1 of everything ore wise it seemed, only thing it was missing that was plain to me was quarried and abyssal stone). So I'm sure now if I used a few Gold Chests I could store all that stuff without much problem.

I'm kind of surprised that others do not use DSUs as well with their quarry, in many of the vids I watch people just void their dirt & cobble which kind of bugs me. As those are useful for a variety of things. It really annoys me when people turn around and setup up cobble gen systems, while voiding cobble... That, just baffles me.

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
I'm kind of surprised that others do not use DSUs as well with their quarry, in many of the vids I watch people just void their dirt & cobble which kind of bugs me. As those are useful for a variety of things. It really annoys me when people turn around and setup up cobble gen systems, while voiding cobble... That, just baffles me.
While I agree about using DSUs, before the DeepDark, was there really a reason to have 1Mil+ cobble? I also used to just void all my cobble after a few expanded barrels worth (dirt was useful for old forestry farms, etc). Edit: Oh, cobblegens.. right. nm

Kwequay

Jul 29, 2019
In 1.5 I always just used MFR Biofuel. By the time I had diamonds for a quarry I'd already have a decent farm happening, even if it was only a manual one, or a SC tree farm.

All excess materials went into the bioreactor and stored in a BC tank, transfer it with portable tanks as required.

The whole set up, while not automated, was very, very simple for early game. I did it so much that this time round in 1.6 I'm intentionally NOT doing it that way and finding it quite a bit more strenuous.