Early game power for quarry

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

l2edeyejedi

Jul 29, 2019
Who needs a quarry. 18 iron an you can make a stone hammer the compressed cobble will heal. Add a diamond to it an its golden for all overworld mining

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

trajano080

Jul 29, 2019
Lava Power is good I guess. However, when Extra-Utilities gets updated, Im gonna try the generators.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
For me, since I am using Mekanism, I kept cobble around for myriad of reasons.
1. Cobblestone smelts to Smoothstone for certain crafting purposes.
2. Cobblestone through Crusher to Sand which is either used in TE3's Induction Smelter or smelted for Glass.
3. Cobblestone through Enrichment Chamber to get Gravel. Gravel can be ran through the Crusher to yield Flint and Flint can be ran through the Crusher again for Gunpowder at a 4:1 ratio.
4. Some other reaons I might not know or forgotten. :)

Redius

Jul 29, 2019
2. Cobble to TE's pulveriser works the same...and since TiCo clear glass is like unicorn sex, more cobble -> more TiCo glass = Happy Redius.

I like glass domes to an unhealthy degree, I fear.

Reactions: PierceSG

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
i discovered gany's mods (in horizons) and the volcanic furnace is quite the source for lava if your hurting for power in the beginning. steep diamond requirement (12 to make one furnace), but once its built, you can feed it with cobble from igneous extruders, feed lava to magmatics, etc. i keep one to scrap all the stuff i dont need, its not limited to cobble. gravel, dirt, random bits like flowers and such, anything can be thrown into the furnace. think of it like an ic2 recycler..except it makes lava, not scrap ;) and it doesnt need power..for now. great way to get obsidian early game too. run igneous extruder in obsidian mode with lava from the furnace. overworld pigmen farms anyone? ;)

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
I usually just try to get a quarry as fast as possible and then I can't power it very well, so I go afk for a while and wait for my energy cubes to fill up.

UE advanced solar generators work wonders if you have them.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
who needs quarry when you have TiC hammers?

but if you actually need it, you can strategy i used in Ultimate:
1 make a mfr 2x2 jungle tree farm with IC2 fertilizer from scrap
2 make a RC blast furnace
3 make steam boiler and power converters engines
4 ????
5 Profit you`re set for life

Reactions: Wekmor and RedBoss

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Guys n' gals(maybe) responding by giving alternatives to quarries is not the question...

Actually replying to the OP, lava from Nether will be the easiest through ender tanks, oil is also an option if you dump your quarry near a well, charcoal in sterlings can be used if you build up a surplus.

Slightly less early game you can use steam through an ender tank into engines by the quarry.

Is a bit difficult if you want to do it really early, everything in their design is to prevent that...

I personally only use a quarry once I've got fully automated processing and can power 2 at full tilt fairly easily, before that there's not much to do except mine but once you're at that point then there's stacks of other stuff to busy yourself with and you just need resources.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, TE3's dynamos are pretty good candidates since they produces 80RF/t or equivalent to 8MJ/t so if you can manage to hook up 6 dynamos to 1 Quarry, it should push it to run at max capability?

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
Y'all have some complicated setups for "early game", IMO. Maybe I just play a little slower. I always have TE installed, so I use that extensively.

Spawn in, explore until I find a good spot for a base. At this point, all I need is a bed and a wooden sword.

Once I have a base location, the first things I build are 2 steam dynamos connected by leadstone energy conduits to a pulverizer and a redstone furnace, with a leadstone energy cell between. Initially, I power them with charcoal from a manual tree farm, using an iron lumber axe if TiCo is installed. I can usually have this up and running after a single mining trip.

As soon as I have the materials, I upgrade the conduits and energy cell to hardened and add another dynamo & energy cell. While the cells are filling up, I mine whatever I still need for the quarry. Set the cell output to 100/tick, connect it to the quarry with a hardened conduit, and pipe the output to a gold chest. One cell usually isn't enough to finish the dig, but that's what the extra cell is for (disclaimer: I usually start my quarries at around level 50-55, to avoid messing up the surface terrain). You could connect both with a 50/tick output from each, but then one won't be recharging while the other is in use.

You can upgrade to a tree farm for fuel if you want, but in my current DW20 (modified) world I just upgraded the lumber axe with smelting and fortune for now. That has me swimming in charcoal, and the whole system doesn't require much in the way of maintenance. All I really have to do is switch out the energy cells when they go dry, and periodically burn down some trees. I'll eventually go full automated (probably pumped lava), but if we're talking about early game I can usually get to this point within a few minecraft days.

HarryJW

Jul 29, 2019
Magmatic dynamos fed with lava from the Nether via Ender-Thermic Pump and Ender tanks. I find ender tanks a bit easier to build than tesseracts early on because they don't require a bunch of processing machines.

Generally I find that if I have enough resources to build the quarry itself I have enough resources to get to the nether, kill some blazes for the tanks and setup my pump.
This is exactly what I do for an early power set up, if you get 6 or more magmatic engines powering the quarry it goes really quickly

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I honestly haven't run a quarry in months. Nor have I needed it. I'll try out the digital miner from mekanism but with TiCo and my play style, I really haven't needed a quarry in months.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Mekanism's Digital Miner is a great mining machine since you can configure what you want.
But once I have enough resources and energy generation, I stop using the quarrying machines and start on running arrays of MFR's Laser Drills.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk