Problem DW20 1.10 Errors After Update

G

Ghan

Continuing from here: https://forum.feed-the-beast.com/th...f20-1-10-server-on-linux.211213/#post-1813536

Background:

I've been running the latest DW20 pack for a couple of months now. I started out on version 1.0.0 of the pack and updated back in mid December to 1.1.4, which I have been running since then. A couple days ago I tried updating to 1.2.2 and I have been unsuccessful no matter what I try. Here is my log dump from when I try to update that has what appears to be the most relevant error/information: http://paste.feed-the-beast.com/view/ea9437c6

My setup:

- CentOS 7
- No additional mods added to the pack. I'm running it plain as released.
- One config change made to IC2 to add Nether Quartz as a scannable/replicatable item.
- Current Java version: 1:1.8.0.111-1.b15.el7_2

When the error happens, I get the prompt to /fml confirm or cancel as you can see in the error log. If I confirm, then the world loads, but all the blocks are mixed up and it's basically useless. Nothing is correct other than the layout of the terrain.

What I have tried:

- Clone existing install folder and then do an overwrite copy from the new server version into the existing install.
- Create new folder with new server version and just copy the world directory from the current install.
- Apply overrides downloads to a clone of the existing install. I'm not sure what those 5-6 MB download zips are supposed to be or do. They don't seem to do anything, really. I'm referring to the list of files here: https://www.feed-the-beast.com/projects/ftb-presents-direwolf20-1-10/files
I typically drill down into the version I'm interested in and get the full ~130 MB download for the server.
- Downloaded server files via the FTB launcher itself instead of from the site through a browser.

This error line looks like the real culprit:

java.lang.RuntimeException: Invalid id 4096 - maximum id range exceeded.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the workings of FTB itself to know where to start troubleshooting this or even if there is a way to fix it. My world still works just fine on version 1.1.4 of the DW20 pack but I'd obviously like to get the additions and fixes that have been made.
The number 4096 seems relevant. From Googling this error it seems like some mod is trying to use that as a block ID, but it isn't permitted by the engine to do so. 4096 is the limit from what I've read, so if it's zero-indexed I guess the max ID you could actually use would be 4095? Does anyone know how to track down exactly which mod is the problem here? Would it be worth trying to remove a mod from the pack and see what happens? Does it matter which mod I would remove? A quick set of steps on what to do to actually remove a mod would be great as well since I've never actually done that myself.

Any insight would be appreciated!

G

Ghan

I have some additional information but no fix as of yet. I downloaded my world's level.dat file and opened it up in NBTExplorer to have a look.
Under FML-> Registries -> minecraft:blocks -> ids
I see it says 4152 entries. So this is where the problem lies, I believe. This number shouldn't be allowed to exceed 4096 according to the error message, but it definitely is. What I don't know is what caused this and why it would happen to my world and not others. As I mentioned before, I have updated this world, but I have not added/removed any mods (until during troubleshooting of this issue) so I'm unsure what might have caused it. My only theory is that the update process caused some mod/mods to unregister/re-register their block IDs so that there are now duplicates. I'll do some hunting and see. I'll also spin up a new test world to see what the block ID count is on a fresh setup.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Just to confirm, this only happens on the new update, not the previous version, correct? In other words, does this problem also occur if you just load up the world in the previous version of the pack?

G

Ghan

Yes, the previous 1.1.4 version of the pack is fine. I think what is happening is that the new versions have added some mods, thus ballooning the block ID count past the limit.

After digging through the level.dat file, it appears that there are block IDs in there for mods that were never part of that pack (examples being Thaumcraft and Thermal Expansion). What may have happened is I originally grabbed the wrong (1.7 version) pack and then didn't restart the world after switching over to the 1.10 version. So there are tons of block IDs that were never used in the world but they are still registered in the .dat file. It would be nice if it were possible to clean those up, but I don't think any way exists to do that.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I can't think of any methods of cleaning that up either. You could maybe try manually reassigning/cleaning up the IDs in the .dat file, but that would obviously take a while.