DW20 1.10; Blazes out of control. Suggestions?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

zedin

Jul 29, 2019
So playing the new pack and went to the nether.. The blaze spawning is out of control. I cannot seem to do anything without having 3+ blazes chasing me. There just seems to be a ton of random blazes that spawn in the nether. Any suggestions on what to do? Are there conditions that make them spawn? Or are they spawning just like overworld mobs and just out of control until I can get some protection vs fire?

I am just having a really hard time even mining without being swarmed by blazes.. If I manage to kill all of them and survive 3min later another swarm seems to have spawned and attack.

splashblue

Jul 29, 2019
I think Quark adds this "feature". You could check the configs, maybe there is an option to turn it off.

zedin

Jul 29, 2019
Sad to say I have actually had to switch to peaceful at times when I go to the nether just to have a chance to mine.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I actually sort of enjoyed it. Made the nether what it should be. A place you don't want to go visit. It also made it easier to get blaze rods as well. But I chewed through an entire stack of arrows as well.

S

StrommKral

if you made it to the nether, then you can make a pendant from botania that will not let you burn. won't protect you from a lava bath though, nor the melee damage that goes with getting hit by the fireballs, but you won't burn.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I think Quark adds this "feature". You could check the configs, maybe there is an option to turn it off.

Actually, that's a new Vanilla behavior. Blazes can spawn anywhere (not just spawners), Endermen now spawn in the Nether, Underwater Guardians can spawn in that little pool just outside your door now. :D

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, that's a new Vanilla behavior. Blazes can spawn anywhere (not just spawners), Endermen now spawn in the Nether, Underwater Guardians can spawn in that little pool just outside your door now. :D

I noticed that in 1.11 (vanilla - trying to get used to the new mechanics). Reading the wiki, it says blazes actually gang up on you as well.

Haven't seen a guardian yet though!

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I noticed that in 1.11 (vanilla - trying to get used to the new mechanics). Reading the wiki, it says blazes actually gang up on you as well.

Haven't seen a guardian yet though!

I've seen several in rivers and some offshore where there is no temple. I don't know of a depth requirement but I have seen squids spawn in the run-off of a single block waterfall in a chasm... o_O

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
In 1.10, Quark adds configs for both Blazes and Guardians to spawn outside their normal confines. Because of the spawn mechanics behind Blazes, they ignore light levels, allowing them to spawn virtually anywhere they please in the Nether. This tends to give them "Squid Syndrome" of spawning in large packs due to the lack of other mobs ability to spawn in similar circumstances.

I agree that this seems overpowered at first glance, but the Nether was never meant to be a Holiday Inn. The place is supposed to be inhospitable and challenging. If it's your first few runs in, make them quick and purposeful while having an escape route in mind always. Once you're better equipped (decent armor, enchanted bow and good supply of ammo, decent sword, and hopefully flight) the place isn't quite as overwhelming, but still gives you the chance to put yourself in some sticky situations. After a while, you can find ways to deal with them (snowmen are cheap and can draw fire quite effectively, although they attack Pigmen as well).

I haven't played with 1.11 at all, so if this behavior becomes Vanilla in later versions, it's probably for the best to get used to it now.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Squid syndrome.... or it's more deadly cousin... the dread blaze syndrome. Symptoms include: large packs of blazing fire creatures shooting large firey projectiles at you. If you have this condition please seek medical attention. Or remove the problem with any of the following: sword/axe/bow and arrow.

Reactions: ThorinNL

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Squid syndrome.... or it's more deadly cousin... the dread blaze syndrome. Symptoms include: large packs of blazing fire creatures shooting large firey projectiles at you. If you have this condition please seek medical attention. Or remove the problem with any of the following: sword/axe/bow and arrow.

"Doc, there's a slight burning sensation when I Nether..."

Reactions: ThorinNL

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
With the new TiCo bows, you shouldn't have any trouble with them anymore. Electrum longbow with plate made of just about any sort of material (either Cobalt or Treated Wood would be my ideal choices, but Obsidian has its place as well), then arrows tipped with either Steel or Magma Slime. Should one-shot blazes.

Also, you can always play Tunnel Rat, like we used to do back in Beta. Go all the way up to Bedrock. Then dig across with relative impunity.

ThorinNL

Jul 29, 2019
All I can say on this:
uhoh, WTH blazes everywhere o_O

Wait a sec ....
Easy blaze rods. No more spawn camping those spawners.

The nether just became a bit more dangerous and I do like this.

Reactions: Greystoke

zedin

Jul 29, 2019
My problem was getting a good ranged weapon that could hit them for enough damage. Found a TiC shurikien worked well. 3 knife blades of manullyn with a single iron blade (in upper right when crafting). Gave me a 7dmg star with 71 ammo and can be repaired with iron ingot. A few stacks of nether quartz and works well. Accuraccy and rapid fire of it are great so I can mow through them pretty fast. Might make a second one as backup since it only takes 3 manullyn. (really need to learn to spell that one right..)