Dumping to BC Pipes

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
1.4.2 FTB with Enderchests, TE, Factorization all updated to the highest release stable builds I could find.

So, say I want to have a dozen different departments that I want to all dump into an enderchest that is then dumped out into my sorting/processing facility. Right now I have a quarry and Bee production dumping into the chest, but have found the system gets bogged down due to engines grabbing the first slot so long as it has a single item.

At my main quarry I'm using a GT buffer to buffer the quarry output and dump it into the enderchest... So I thought hell I could use a GT Translocator to dump from the chest to pip..... well No.. GT does't play well with BC... I guess I could use GT Buffers instead of BC pipes but I think I'd rather tear out my hangnails with a rusty spoon then work with that mess.

So I thought I could use a Factorization router with all the fancy upgrades to dump to a pi... well no, it doesn't play well either.

So Since BC pipes will play with anything, but these other mods don't play well with it... Any suggestions on how I can quickly, and as lag free as possible dump a 3x3 enderchest into buildcraft pipes effectively?

I thought about using routers or Translocator to dump the ender into a local diamond chest, and then pump out of that, but I figure the same overrun will happen with the engine draining the first slot I'd just get a bigger mess to sort through... So I've come here to see if anyone has any creative solutions to mimic a RP relay and dump to BC pipes.

I'm basically looking to sort just about anything in the game through the system, and what it can't store gets dumped into a overflow chest so I can teach it more... So a bank of routers is an option, but I might as well go GT Buffer pipes/sorters as ugly as they are if I'm gonna do that.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried pumping out the enderchest using plain old wooden pipes and redstone engines? You need to get the engine up to the blinking red speed, but you should be able to pull items out faster than they can go in. If not, try attaching multiple pipes and engines on each side. It will always pull items out of the first slot, then then next and so on until no more items exist. To get the redstone engine up to speed quickly, you can chain another engine to it to dump its energy into the redstone one.

Also, you want the items to flow into the chest in an even stream. If a bunch of items arrives all at once, it can create a bad backlog in the chest. A single redstone engine at the blinking red point should pull items out faster than a quarry can dig.

FMAylward

Jul 29, 2019
Have to agree with that, for my old set-up I had 3 redstone engines on all the time plus what is now the Stirling engine that I would use if stuff got backlogged.

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
a redstone engine was too slow even at max speed for my application (multiple sources muck up the system), I was using electrical engine with a choke on it for 1MJ which I thought was the max pumping speed at 44 items. I'm not trying to just manage a quarry, but several departments all at the same time. I set it up temporarily using a router as a glorified translocator, it clears the enderchest FAAAASSSSTTTT, and dumps into a diamond chest with an electrical engine pumping 44 items out at a time or the first slot which ever is most likely to bog up the system the best, it goes from pumping small stacks to max stacks wtih the first motion so it works well with a gate to redstone it on. I also seek to get the engines to shut off when not needed, to eliminate as much lag as possible.

So the same issue exists, but at least I have a larger buffer at the sorting room. I set up the quarry to turn off (and in essence throw them into a several minute cooling cycle) the energy cell and combustion engines which gives the entire system time to catch up, but I'll have to find a solution as I don't want to have to set up an electrical buffer at every department.

I'll check it all in the morning, if I don't find 6 partial stacks of cobble dirt and gravel in the diamond chest It may just work (enough individual slots to manage most of the items I want incoming).

FMAylward

Jul 29, 2019
So you have 1 engine when the main point in what we just said was use more then 1 engine?

Rakankrad

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I've found that a redstone engine wasn't cutting it for me. I ended up switching my setup a little bit and started using a hobbyist steam engine, connected to my Steam Boiler, to pump out of my chest. Hobbyist pulls out a little over half a stack at once, meaning that my sorting chest is nearly always empty. Sure, my basement is a mess cause of that, but it's working.
Screenies: http://imgur.com/a/Q9jem#0
(Yes, I watch DW20 and make 9x9 houses... I've learned to love them... Easy to navigate)

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
You should be able to have 4 wooden pipes connected to the chest. 2 would have 4 engines, and 2 would have 2 engines. You can then stagger the timing for when they get power so they pull at different times. I would try using electrical engines with solar panels for power if you can fit room for the cables.

Another simple idea: Dont dump to a single ender chest. Have every department dump to a different ender chest. Then just connect the pipes so they all go through the same sorting facility.

Combine 1 and 2 for ultimate processing speed.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
I can think of two ways to do this, but neither of them are in 1.4.2 FTB, but I'll toss them out anyway.

The power converters mod has this block called an energy link. It changes any amount of IC2 power into the equivalent amount of BC power. Put it puts out a pulse every tick, so if you put it next to a wooden pipe it would pull an item(or a stack?) every tick.

Second, there is a block in Tubestuff called the buffer that automatically ejects items in it out into tubes. You could have a GT translocator pull items out of the enderchest and dump them in to the buffer.

I dunno about power converters, but i know tubestuff is in the next version of the pack. So you would be safe installing it. I'll even tell you that the block ID's will probably(its always subject to change until release) be 1150 and 1152.

Edit:
You should be able to have 4 wooden pipes connected to the chest. 2 would have 4 engines, and 2 would have 2 engines. You can then stagger the timing for when they get power so they pull at different times. I would try using electrical engines with solar panels for power if you can fit room for the cables.

Another simple idea: Dont dump to a single ender chest. Have every department dump to a different ender chest. Then just connect the pipes so they all go through the same sorting facility.

Don't forget, they are enderchests, you can just have a bunch of them in a row all the same color.

FMAylward

Jul 29, 2019
Saw a post on here saying they use the exact same code as redstone engines so same rules should apply.

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
Second, there is a block in Tubestuff called the buffer that automatically ejects items in it out into tubes. You could have a GT translocator pull items out of the enderchest and dump them in to the buffer.

I dunno about power converters, but i know tubestuff is in the next version of the pack. So you would be safe installing it. I'll even tell you that the block ID's will probably(its always subject to change until release) be 1150 and 1152.

This is good to know! Thanks I have always been under the impression that IDs were going to standardize/change from the Beta pack so I was likely to lose this world to gain RP and the other mods... If this isn't the case it opens a whole new realm of anxiously waiting...

Don't forget, they are enderchests, you can just have a bunch of them in a row all the same color.

That is brilliant, but wouldn't they still try to pull from the same slot, or is it just a timing issue? hmm.. I'll play with this. and look into tubestuff.

Thanks

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019

4 engines doesn't really fit with the space I've set up for the mechanism, but I may try two off the diamond buffer (local input) chest. The router getting things out of the enderchest as fast as it does works well, GT translocator would be cheaper but I had the routers as I thought they'd eject to a pipe (PS don't tell Gregorious, he'll likely require them to take centrifuged Iridium block stackss if he hears his stuff was cheaper then something else) and I already have an electrical engine (avoids the long warm up of the redstone engines), I think I'll give a whirl to two Electrical engines with different timings.[DOUBLEPOST=1355824644][/DOUBLEPOST]
while on this pipe subject, is there a way to make the gates extract faster?
They have a warm up period that DW talked about possibly changing in the future. I found them horribly slow for certain situations, like moving bulk items around, but perfect when I needed such a nice steady pace. Having different speeds according to their type (iron, gold, diamond) or some configurable speed with no warm up would be great, but not likely in my stocking this xmas.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
have ye tried a railcraft item loader to pull items out of a chest and sort into inventories along the line of the track? A trick is to have enough buffer space to allow the train to do a full circuit without overfilling while simultaneously having a train of chest carts big enough to grab everything in one pass , but you could fix this with a factorization router pulling items out of the enderchest and depositing into several input chests along the track.

damnedsky

Jul 29, 2019
My quick fix for emptying an ender chest into a buffer iron chest was to use a ComputerCraft turtle. It was however difficult to manage and I needed to sort all cobble/dirt/sand/gravel into a void pipe between the quarry and enderchest(it couldn't manage the high rate input from the quarry). If you go all out with the Factorization Barrels you can make yourself a very nice sorting systems with only 2 routers. One that extracts from the buffer chest and ejects into the second router. The second router then inserts only in the barrels. This means all the barrels need to have at least 1 of the item they want inside and you should have no empty barrels. Credit to the sorting idea goes to Vauthil.

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
electrical engines pull out about 40 items per pull ~/s
if you just want to pull out of enderchest quickly, use factoritations router with bandwidth and ejector upgrade

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I had a similar problem under tekkit. Had quarry stuff dumping into a diamond chest, and then this went through a piping system to be sorted. After a while, I noticed that the diamond chest was filling up, so I needed to increase my output capacity (3 redstone engines on the wooden pipe wasn't enough). Since I didn't want to move stacks, I changed my system to randomly pump into 3 golden chests, and then had 2 restone engines per chest.
As a result, no backlog, even with 5 quarries being run and other inputs. Plus, what was nice too was that the items were mixed up a bit before being sorted, so I didn't end up with big chunks of the same item passing through the system.

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
electrical engines pull out about 40 items per pull ~/s
if you just want to pull out of enderchest quickly, use factoritations router with bandwidth and ejector upgrade

Already doing the router route as described, with machine filter, and speed boost. But I can't eject into a pipe (updated to 0.6.13 newest version for MC1.4.2), so I'm dumping it into a diamond chest and pumping from there. This helps keep the system from bogging up as often, but eventually the lack of intelligence with chests catches up and I end up with a diamond chest full of cobble/dirt and the random ores. 2 Electrical engines isn't enough, system still gets bogged down fairly quickly and over time the engines actually end up syncing up and pulling the same stack/slot. But that's what my main question was, how to get it from the router into BC pipes quickly, as streamlined and lag free as possible (so without 12 redstone engines).

Tubestuff's Buffer is likely my only choice, I hope that mod works without RP. I don't want to presort things but I may have to.

I need to put a delay timer (dispenser and pressure plate... see what I have to resort to Elloram?) to stall the entire system all the way back to the sources for a spell once the main buffer fills, but that's the future failsafe upgrade.[DOUBLEPOST=1355853199][/DOUBLEPOST]
My quick fix for emptying an ender chest into a buffer iron chest was to use a ComputerCraft turtle. It was however difficult to manage and I needed to sort all cobble/dirt/sand/gravel into a void pipe between the quarry and enderchest(it couldn't manage the high rate input from the quarry). If you go all out with the Factorization Barrels you can make yourself a very nice sorting systems with only 2 routers. One that extracts from the buffer chest and ejects into the second router. The second router then inserts only in the barrels. This means all the barrels need to have at least 1 of the item they want inside and you should have no empty barrels. Credit to the sorting idea goes to Vauthil.

Already doing the routers, it is the parity they were designed for. I have a sorting system/processor dumping into a single router for storage, ran into one bug that if I have barrels 11 long, that turn a corner (w/ connector) at the 9th or 10th barrel around the corner it starts ejecting random items (in my case mainly items from the 3rd barrel, but that was what I was processing at that moment). That was a mess.

Thanks for the ideas

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
Already doing the router route as described, with machine filter, and speed boost. But I can't eject into a pipe (updated to 0.6.13 newest version for MC1.4.2), so I'm dumping it into a diamond chest and pumping from there. This helps keep the system from bogging up as often, but eventually the lack of intelligence with chests catches up and I end up with a diamond chest full of cobble/dirt and the random ores. 2 Electrical engines isn't enough, system still gets bogged down fairly quickly and over time the engines actually end up syncing up and pulling the same stack/slot. But that's what my main question was, how to get it from the router into BC pipes quickly, as streamlined and lag free as possible (so without 12 redstone engines).

Tubestuff's Buffer is likely my only choice, I hope that mod works without RP. I don't want to presort things but I may have to.

I need to put a delay timer (dispenser and pressure plate... see what I have to resort to Elloram?) to stall the entire system all the way back to the sources for a spell once the main buffer fills, but that's the future failsafe upgrade.[DOUBLEPOST=1355853199][/DOUBLEPOST]

Already doing the routers, it is the parity they were designed for. I have a sorting system/processor dumping into a single router for storage, ran into one bug that if I have barrels 11 long, that turn a corner (w/ connector) at the 9th or 10th barrel around the corner it starts ejecting random items (in my case mainly items from the 3rd barrel, but that was what I was processing at that moment). That was a mess.

Thanks for the ideas

rethink your system. I split my system into more main components like "quarry" "food" "personal" etc
each uses own enderchest. This will help overflow. Calculate how many items come in and try to adjust your engines to it. 2 electrical should be sufficient if not 9 different items at once reach the chest. and try to stagger the impulse. you can even try combustion engines. They pull stackwise out.

and I already suggested in the Fac Thread to enable ejector upgrade to eject into pipes but no response since then.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
If you want to go grab Logistics Pipes, the Quicksort Module and Quicksort Mk II module would be about perfect for your needs, AND is your sorting system all in one. Pulls out stacks at a time, so it could easily keep up. The Mk. II version pulls them out faster.

I have an initial diamond pipe coming out of my quarry to split off ores to be refined from the rest of the stuff. The enderchest the ores side goes to is connected to one directly on top of my Pulverizer, which will automatically pull stuff out. It then gets processed by the pulverizer, induction smelter, and powered furnace (for the bonus ores) and outputs into the pipe that leads straight to my metals chest. Cobble, dirt, sand, and gravel all get routed to my recyclers. The rest get sorted appropriately.

Puts a lot less stress on the system that way, since the vast majority of the quarry's output (cobble, dirt, sand, and gravel) don't even hit the sorting system. They go directly to recycling.