Dumb question ... ftbserver.jar

chuck

Jul 29, 2019
I'm familiar with setting up and running a server, as I currently have one in operation. But in turn, I am also new to some things, including updating it to the latest release. I've been holding off while I read up on some of the common issues that people are having so I can know what to expect, and do, should a problem arise.

I saw this asked, but not answered clearly. My server has "direwolf20.jar", currrently V4 ... and my host had to put this into place for me in order to admin under multicraft.

Downloaded the latest DW server pack, and the jar is named simply "ftbserver.jar". Can I rename this to direwolf20.jar and update? Or do I need to get my host to add this newly named jar file to my server?

Thanks.

Nessiroj

Jul 29, 2019
i can't give the real answer to the question since i host my own servers, but in the past you could just rename the .jar files and everything does keep working (don't forget to edit the .sh or .bat file to match the name). Not sure about v5 though.

chuck

Jul 29, 2019
i have two servers, one here at my shop which i admin and run ... and another with a host ... with the host, i dont have access to edit the sh files

was just wondering if renaming would work ok before started the process ... suppose ill just backup everything and try it, i hate doing things that way without knowing first ... it has to be named the same as the previous, or i have to get my host to change it on their end ... on my other server here, it's a non issue

Nessiroj

Jul 29, 2019
You could try it at the shop / home by just renaming it and see if it starts. If it does you should be able to use it on the host aswell ;)

Nessiroj

Jul 29, 2019
just tried it myself because of the ForgeMod.jar requirement of MCMA (till they patch it ;) and can confirm renaming of the server .jar file just works as long as you also use the startscript pointing to that file offcourse. (it's a new jar so you still need to overwrite the old one).