Bug Downloaded the New Launcher but it Won't Run

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

TaintedBlood1101

Jul 29, 2019
I downloaded the Windows version of the new FTB launcher (FTBA_windows-x64_1_0_8) but when I try to launch the application I get this pop-up:
Windows protected your PC
"Microsoft Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk.
More info"

If I expand "More Info" I get the option to run the program anyway. When I choose to do so I get the pop-up:
"This app can't run on your PC
To find a version for your PC, please check with the software publisher."

Let me know if there is anything I can do or more information I can provide.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
The warnings are just false positive, if unsure download the file and upload it to any online virus scanner.

I usually use virustotal.com to check files.

With that said, this message makes me wonder and I have a follow up question:
"This app can't run on your PC

Are you using a 32-bit version of Windows?

TaintedBlood1101

Jul 29, 2019
I read the message about the false positives and I've never had an issue with FTB before, I was just including it for totality's sake. I have a 64-bit system (x64-based PC).

Last edited:

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Can you share a screenshot or copy paste the outcome of this command run in either cmd or PowerShell:
wmic os get osarchitecture

Also check the hash of the file you downloaded, in case this got broken on the way down.

You can do this with powershell, example (you need to change the path to where you have the file):
Get-FileHash -Path "E:\Downloads\FTBA_windows-x64_1_0_8.exe" -Algorithm SHA256 | select hash

1588153953885.png

And then compare with this list:

This line in PowerShell would show you the info on the prompt:

(Invoke-WebRequest https://apps.modpacks.ch/FTBApp/release/1.0.8/sha256sums).content

TaintedBlood1101

Jul 29, 2019
First command works fine, second command runs into a problem no matter where I move FTBA_windows-x64_1_0_8.exe. PowerShell says the filepath does not exist.

Attachments

• 2020-04-30 (2).png
    2020-04-30 (2).png
    113.8 KB · Views: 55

TaintedBlood1101

Jul 29, 2019
So I use Google Chrome normally and I decided to try a different browser for S&Gs. I downloaded it through Microsoft Edge and ran it directly from the browser download screen and the installation went off without a hitch. No clue why.

Edit: If I view the files that were downloaded, they are drastically different. The one downloaded through chrome is much smaller and has no publisher data while the one through MS Edge is larger and has the correct publisher data.

Attachments

• 2020-05-01.png
    2020-05-01.png
    106.1 KB · Views: 56

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
PowerShell says the filepath does not exist.
Checking your provided screenshot - you need to give full filename, you haven't ".exe" in any of them, press TAB key and the full filename should autocomplete.

And if you're checking a filepath that contains a space, you need to have "" around the path, use TAB completion or check how I formated the command, and do that.

Edit: If I view the files that were downloaded, they are drastically different. The one downloaded through chrome is much smaller and has no publisher data while the one through MS Edge is larger and has the correct publisher data.

Try the one downloaded via Edge then - perhaps you have a add-on that blocks in chrome?

TaintedBlood1101

Jul 29, 2019
My only add-on is AdBlocker Ultimate but it is disabled. I even tried uninstalling it just in case. No dice. The one downloaded from Edge works great, no issues installing or running the launcher, just wanted to follow up in case someone else runs into this problem. This is the result. It doesn't seem to match anything in your first link and I can't open the second one.

Attachments

• 2020-05-05.png
    2020-05-05.png
    87.6 KB · Views: 53

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Good that you managed to get around it. The one that doesn't work is not complete and broken, it's something at your end that does it - so hopefully no one else will have the same issue.