(dont know where to post this) qustions about 32bit blabla

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

monkey

Jul 29, 2019
hai sry ive got no idea where to post this so sry if its in wrong spot

ok so most of the ftb 1.6.4 modpacks cant be used on a 32bit bc the 1gb limmit
so is that 32bit os or java? im just wondering bc ive seen posts of ppl saying to download 64java but dont see what java has to do with ram

and woud optifine help in anyway ?

just having troble finding a 64XP in shops and dont want to upgrade to vista or 7 bc after my bro upgrated to 7 hes had nothing but problems in gennral

(sry for bad spelling)

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
It's a limitation of 32-bit Java. It is hardcoded onlu use up to 1GB of ram.

You won't have any luck finding XP64 nowadays; I had trouble finding it myself five years ago when my only other option was Vista. Windows 7 is a solid OS with few issues, the only reason I think your brother is having ussues is because he upgraded the OS. And I would never reccomend "upgrading" a Windows OS. Always start with a fresh install.

So definitely consider moving to Windows 7, given that you start with a fresh install.

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
I just got a new Windows 7 computer because of that. I had to set it to use 64bit and install the correct version of Java, but it's been working fine.

Other than learning a new OS :p

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
It's a limitation of 32-bit Java. It is hardcoded onlu use up to 1GB of ram.

You won't have any luck finding XP64 nowadays; I had trouble finding it myself five years ago when my only other option was Vista. Windows 7 is a solid OS with few issues, the only reason I think your brother is having ussues is because he upgraded the OS. And I would never reccomend "upgrading" a Windows OS. Always start with a fresh install.

So definitely consider moving to Windows 7, given that you start with a fresh install.

Also, even though it is implied, you have to have the 64-bit version of whatever O.S. you settle on... 32 bit windows of any variety cannot run 64-bit applications such as 64-bit Java.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
I have a player on my server with the same problem. Runs Unleashed fine on his 32-bit XP, but crashes out with Out of Memory on DW20 and Monster.

Fortunately he does seem to have a 64-bit CPU under the hood, so he'll upgrade to 7 soon :)

monkey

Jul 29, 2019
so only option is to get a 64 bit os? dang it no ftb for me :( no point just for 1 game

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
If your processor supports 64-bit, then I would do the switch - irrelevant if for Minecraft or not.

Lots of applications nowadays benefit from a 64-bit environments, especially games.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
I would strongly suggest upgrading to 64 bit, because it can utilize exponentially more memory than its 32 bit predecessor. FTB is a processor intensive game, requiring multiple, separate processes to be handled by your computer. The more entities you have running, the more parallel processing you will require. 1GB of RAM becomes too little, as your base grows. I will severely limit how large/complicated you can build/expand your base. Eventually you will get out-of-memory issues. Also, 32 bit is way outdated, especially in the world of gaming.

I am not confusing RAM with processor, your processor dictates how much RAM it can utilize, for those whom might jump on that.

**Correction, the OS is what limits your RAM usage. Though, your processor does dictate your ability to do parallel tasking as well.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Your architecture (determined by your processor and mainboard of course) limits how much memory you can address.

32-bit cannot address more than 4GB of memory - no matter how much you stick in there.

Java, however is configured to not use more than 1GB if you have a 32-bit OS - so most of the modern FTB packs will not load, as they require more than 1GB.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Your architecture (determined by your processor and mainboard of course) limits how much memory you can address.

32-bit cannot address more than 4GB of memory - no matter how much you stick in there.

Java, however is configured to not use more than 1GB if you have a 32-bit OS - so most of the modern FTB packs will not load, as they require more than 1GB.

The 4 GB on 32 bit hardware limit on RAM has existed at least since XP and still exists in 32 bit Windows 8. This is due to hardware addressing modes available in the CPU.

There were 2 versions of 64 bit XP, and both have the same 128 GB limit... X64 (what we use today) and IA64, Intel's now defunct replacement machine code instruction set for X86. Intel determined that the X86 instructions couldn't be expanded to 64 bit... Until AMD did it, in such a way that a 64 bit OS could run 32 bit software on the fly.

64 bit Vista also had a limit of 128GB with the non-home editions. The Home editions were limited to 16 GB.

64 bit Windows 7 saw the ram limitation raised to 192 GB in the Pro, Corporate and Ultimate versions, and 64 bit Windows 8 has a limit of 512 GB.

There are also differences if you take Server versions into consideration... You can get versions of Server 2012 capable of addressing 4 TB of ram, and the server version(s) can use more CPUs than workstation versions, but special hardware is required.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Also might want to upgrade to 64 bit or odd things may occur come 2014 when CMOS clocks in the computer will start tossing numbers the 32bit OS can't understand