Donation Server Question

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MonthOLDpickle

Jul 29, 2019
I have a server running and trying to find a few things I want to do. Mainly rewarding a person who donates to the server. Is there a way to like limit who can use teleports? Maybe second homes? Or anything that is a good boost but not permanent? I do use MCPC+..

Lord Wumbo

Jul 29, 2019
Sell items, I know some servers sell stacks of logs for a few cents, or once I even saw hybrid solars on sale for about 5 bucks a piece.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Well, I was once on a server, and it had kits such as building materials, basic resources, tool kits, armour kits, kits based on mods, etc.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
My suggestion to any would be server owner.

Make sure you can pay for the server before you start one.

Donations are nice but trust me when I tell you they will trickle out quickly unless you do something really silly like selling creative mode time. No mater what you sell players get to a point where they don't need anything. And selling kits and materials will lose interest. It also can get in the pay to win zone of things if you are selling overly useful stuff. Kits are nice but again soon the player will be making there own. I've seen some servers 'rent' mystcraft world slots.

But to be honest if you want your server to last. First make sure you can pay for it regularly on you own with no help. Next make donations a totally optional thing with no in world benefits the reason for that is it can divide the server between the haves and have nots if people can donate there way to the top. Last build a community that cares and use your MOTD to have a vary simple Month's cost vs Donations this month.

Do it right and people will donate because they want to server to grow not because they can get a chest full of loot.

MonthOLDpickle

Jul 29, 2019
I can pay. I am about to upgrade. I am just setting this stuff up after about two weeks. I had a couple ask to donate. I never asked. I felt like they needed something for donating.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019

Donations are nice but trust me when I tell you they will trickle out quickly unless you do something really silly like selling creative mode time. No mater what you sell players get to a point where they don't need anything. And selling kits and materials will lose interest. It also can get in the pay to win zone of things if you are selling overly useful stuff. Kits are nice but again soon the player will be making there own. I've seen some servers 'rent' mystcraft world slots.

But to be honest if you want your server to last. First make sure you can pay for it regularly on you own with no help. Next make donations a totally optional thing with no in world benefits the reason for that is it can divide the server between the haves and have nots if people can donate there way to the top. Last build a community that cares and use your MOTD to have a vary simple Month's cost vs Donations this month.

Do it right and people will donate because they want to server to grow not because they can get a chest full of loot.

Yep and make sure you have a decent "buffer" of money so by the time you running short hopefully that will take place. This is very good for long term donations vs "hey want this? too bad you gotta pay 5 bucks for it!" then yea that community will probably leave sooner or later. A good way to reward them is just to to thanks them and have their names setup at say spawn or something.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019