Doing some research in the newest IC2_Exp build[138]

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
IC2 needs to take a step towards TE, just not so close they're in a relationship. In IC2, if you choose the wrong voltage, machines go boom, wires go zap, players get ticked. In TE, if you opt out of wires, you're engine needs a wack with a wrench in order to make it work again for a short amount of time. If IC2 were to change that explosion to say, you're machines make crazy noises and stop functioning, items spew everywhere from the machine, or even if the wires sizzled for a bit, then broke, it'd be a lot nicer. You wouln't lose progress and resources you've made, but your machines couldn't run on a voltage that wasn't compatible. It's a fucntionality that annoys everyone and is down right silly to implement in such a game like Minecraft.

Having fun breakdown mechanics instead of annoying ones? Now that's just silly!

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
in one of direwolfs videos, he shows a new GUI for the nuke. any idea how its supposed to work?

dtech100

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone of you have this weird bug which does radiation damage when i'm using depleted uranium fuel cells - also i'm wearing full hazmat suit and still i'm getting radiation posion. Right now i'm using newest 2.0.207 version. I think that it's a bug because when i had version 178 i haven't had this thing. I don't know where to post thig bug report because ic2 experimental don't have it's own www site.

matpower123

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone of you have this weird bug which does radiation damage when i'm using depleted uranium fuel cells - also i'm wearing full hazmat suit and still i'm getting radiation posion. Right now i'm using newest 2.0.207 version. I think that it's a bug because when i had version 178 i haven't had this thing. I don't know where to post thig bug report because ic2 experimental don't have it's own www site.
You need to report bugs in:
forum.industrial-craft.net 's support area :)

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Having fun breakdown mechanics instead of annoying ones? Now that's just silly!
Explosions ARE fun!

Also why do people say they want to automate complex systems but then not like making plates? It adds more power needs and requires you to figure out how to automate more things.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
When I was trying to increase the power feed to my mass fab I caused it to explode by accident. Right in the middle of my extensively configured, extremely complex, exquisitely captivating logistics pipe farm and quarry processing room :(. All my machines, hundreds of itemsink modules, my helper turtles which acted both like a more flexible shmitt trigger and a crafter of flowers picked up by the quarry into dye, diligent little buddies they were. And the condenser. Oh, how it would dutifully work towards a singularity for me. It held the weight of the world inside of it, and now it has died a cruel death. It deserved better than that. Not even the trash can was spared.

Explosions ARE fun!

Why do you have to be so cruel?

------
;) P.S. Don't hook a max sized energy cube directly to a mass fab. If by any chance you do, pm me and I can put you in touch with a great grief counsellor.

Reactions: zorn

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Explosions ARE fun!

Also why do people say they want to automate complex systems but then not like making plates? It adds more power needs and requires you to figure out how to automate more things.

Because both is a bit too much. and who automates their plate bender (outside of an on demand ME system).

There's complex and then there's convoluted.
People want to make a system with tonnes of pipes with complicated routing that achieve a purpose but they don't want to spend their days in a GUI, which the plates add an extra step to.
All these IC2 changes merely add more crafting in a GUI. The new ore washing stuff looks nifty though but that's still more of a means to ends thing.

TBH the plates make sense, and if Greg and now IC2 started out with the plate requirements we probably wouldn't be hearing about it. People got use to the old way of using ingots then all of a sudden there was an extra step and an extra couple of machines to build. Machines that seemed superfluous became necessary.
IC2 and Greg are jerking the players around a bit and they probably can't see it (or wont).

It's either that or people really don't want complexity like you state but merely say they do. That or they want something not too simple but not too complicated, they want juuuuust right.
Plates are not what they are looking for to get that complexity.

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
IMO, the hammer/wire cutters just don't feel right (though the wire cutters "feel" better than the hammer, at least). The specific machines for those functions are fine for me, it's just the manual method that feels "wrong"--like it should be slightly different.

I fully support the idea that plates should be made by using a hammer on an ingot in the world--that sounds so awesome it's not even funny. :) As far as the wire cutters...perhaps the wire cutters should have a gui when right-clicked, and you put ingots inside; then, when you left-click, a "cutting" animation plays, and that's what actually crafts the wires (placing them into an "output" slot for safe-keeping). That's just my two cents, though. ;)

Reactions: casilleroatr

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Well when I saw someone say ic2 has to be more like TE I had to post. I just blew up a LESU that was right under my ME drives.... Disks everywhere!

The fear of losing 3 full ME drives sucked but how easy do we want to make this game? Why not just set a config to make explosions do no damage?

IMO thermal expansion makes buildcraft easy. I've blown up combustion engines, boilers... Why make everything simplistic like TE? Ic2 power makes you think, conduits are just connect and go. If ic2 changes to be like TE I'll just never upgrade. Or rely on Greg to set things right lol.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
There's a HUGE difference between challenge and punishment. Even if you had the chance of losing a machine to improper voltage, why have a huge explosion as punishment? Why not just have the same machine block drop from when you don't use a wrench to pick a machine up?

It takes hours to craft a basic processing line now. Or at least that what it seems. Why punish a player for a small error and cause such a loss? Between that and the absolutely painful tedium that has been expanded, I can't use this mod. It's sad because I'll miss out on cool toys that tap into ic2. No force drill, no TiCo electric upgrade. But I can't use this mod. It's ridiculous now. These recipes just don't look fun, nor do the machines.

CrissHill

Jul 29, 2019
There's a HUGE difference between challenge and punishment. Even if you had the chance of losing a machine to improper voltage, why have a huge explosion as punishment? Why not just have the same machine block drop from when you don't use a wrench to pick a machine up?

It takes hours to craft a basic processing line now. Or at least that what it seems. Why punish a player for a small error and cause such a loss? Between that and the absolutely painful tedium that has been expanded, I can't use this mod. It's sad because I'll miss out on cool toys that tap into ic2. No force drill, no TiCo electric upgrade. But I can't use this mod. It's ridiculous now. These recipes just don't look fun, nor do the machines.

Well, generally challenge comes from punishing the player. For example, a skeleton shoots arrows at you and you die, you lose all your levels and if you're unlucky some of your items fall into lava. If the game wouldn't punish you for dying, it would be less challenging in my opinion.

IF the game would always destroy all of your items, it would be more challenging.

If the game would deny you from continuing , it would be even more challenging

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Well, generally challenge comes from punishing the player. For example, a skeleton shoots arrows at you and you die, you lose all your levels and if you're unlucky some of your items fall into lava. If the game wouldn't punish you for dying, it would be less challenging in my opinion.

IF the game would always destroy all of your items, it would be more challenging.

Hard core mode denies you continuing.

Battle and machine building are not at all the same thing.

Reactions: Zenthon_127

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
If the game prevented you from continuing, the challenge is over. The present continuous of challenge doesn't seem appropriate on this last little bit.

For the rest of your comment though, I accept your point that skeletons and other mobs add a certain level of punishment and I guess, challenge to the game. I am willing to accept as well that the desire to avoid that punishment encourages the player to think about how best to not fall into lava from the knockback of an arrow. That is a challenge. But notice the indefinite article. Challenges are numerous and require different strategies to overcome and test different skill sets. Some people excel at some challenge types while others excel at others. Some people are good at sports, others spreadsheets. I like to work out how to automate certain things in a safe environment, which means I get frustrated by creeper explosions and mass fab explosions and similar stuff. I just don't care for it. Furthermore, I don't really care about where my resources come from. I make quarry set ups because I enjoy having machines that are doing things but I will spawn in a load of mats to build a beautiful house/base because I can't stand wallowing in an uninspiring mud hut. The machines I build are usually made from mats I mine by hammer or quarry, but I do blaze rod exploits if I am low and I wan't just one more ender chest. I might even just spawn one in. Hell, I could if I want to and my enjoyment won't be hurt one bit. And I will still be testing myself to see if I can come up with an even better base in terms of both form and function. And even if I have creative mode hanging over me, I will still actually build all manner of fancy interesting machines eventually. And if I have another mass fab accident I am dropping mods that like to drop supermassive mega explosions into my base in the form of seemingly innocuous machines. Its not that I think IC2 should stop doing what it is doing, just that I might decide that it is not worth it.

And if I want to have a bit of danger in my minecraft world, I will walk outside of the base I have deliberately made safe and find a cave far away. But if I get down to half a heart, you can bet that I will shamelessly switch to peaceful.

Reactions: Flipz and RedBoss

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
If the game prevented you from continuing, the challenge is over. The present continuous of challenge doesn't seem appropriate on this last little bit.

For the rest of your comment though, I accept your point that skeletons and other mobs add a certain level of punishment and I guess, challenge to the game. I am willing to accept as well that the desire to avoid that punishment encourages the player to think about how best to not fall into lava from the knockback of an arrow. That is a challenge. But notice the indefinite article. Challenges are numerous and require different strategies to overcome and test different skill sets. Some people excel at some challenge types while others excel at others. Some people are good at sports, others spreadsheets. I like to work out how to automate certain things in a safe environment, which means I get frustrated by creeper explosions and mass fab explosions and similar stuff. I just don't care for it. Furthermore, I don't really care about where my resources come from. I make quarry set ups because I enjoy having machines that are doing things but I will spawn in a load of mats to build a beautiful house/base because I can't stand wallowing in an uninspiring mud hut. The machines I build are usually made from mats I mine by hammer or quarry, but I do blaze rod exploits if I am low and I wan't just one more ender chest. I might even just spawn one in. Hell, I could if I want to and my enjoyment won't be hurt one bit. And I will still be testing myself to see if I can come up with an even better base in terms of both form and function. And even if I have creative mode hanging over me, I will still actually build all manner of fancy interesting machines eventually. And if I have another mass fab accident I am dropping mods that like to drop supermassive mega explosions into my base in the form of seemingly innocuous machines. Its not that I think IC2 should stop doing what it is doing, just that I might decide that it is not worth it.

And if I want to have a bit of danger in my minecraft world, I will walk outside of the base I have deliberately made safe and find a cave far away. But if I get down to half a heart, you can bet that I will shamelessly switch to peaceful.

can i shorten this wallO'text inc. post down to a simple: Can haz config plz?
(got to make a suitable cat picture for that one of these days)

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Yes you can

Then we are in 100% agreement. I personally don't mind explody machines so much as long as it's not impossible to make them stable. (re combustion engines cooled down with bc pumps ugh)
So having config options to tweak for that kind of stuff would be really nice.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
IC2 challenging? Since when?

It's tedious, but not challenging.

I see it the other way. TE and dartcraft are simple, easy mods, with no challenge. IC2 gives you a challenge. But, each of us has his own idea of fun so as Antice said, offer configs to change things. Keep explosions by default, but let people turn them off if they want. In 5 months of daily playing, ive only blown up 3 items. 2 in the last few weeks! it added realism, IMO.

Its like playing peaceful mode, vs normal mode but basically 'peaceful' in that you have an MPS suit or whatever, and are not really in danger. Even with the best suits, there is some danger. The other day I forgot to torch the top of my base/tower, and a creeper spawned at the top. if I hadnt noticed it, it would/could have fallen/jumped to get me and id have lost some machines. Is it just tedious to rebuild the machines? To me it's that small fear that keeps things exciting. Flying up to check my fuel tank and seeing that creeper staring at me gave me a shock. Shock = excitement. Watching probably 100K worth of ingots explode and hoping all the ME disks survived = excitement.

Id still like to see bases of people who dislike ic2 and like TE ... 80% of my base is running off EU right now, with TE/BC id have one row of machines, and that would be it. Really, ALL of what we do is tedium. Why do you smelt dusts, why not just make one block that turns an ore into two ingots directly? Requiring two machines is just tedium, isnt it?

If the fun is making them work together, well then thats why I like extracting rubber to make copper wire to make circuits to make other machines that do other basically pointless things. IC2 is just ... MORE of what TE is, not different.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019

As far as I know, you also need the rubber boots with the hazmat suit. If you're wearing the hazmat suit and rubber boots and still getting irradiated while carrying radioactive materials, I believe that is unintended.