Does the logger not cut down rubber trees

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

unholywar23

Jul 29, 2019
Grslt.png
a screenshot might help people to diagnose your problem.

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure I vaguely remember that there is actually a specific machine for Rubber Trees. Have a look in NEI for Rubber Tree and you might find a logger just for these.

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
I think your redstone wooden pipe is backwards, the thick brown side indicates the side that's pulling out items or power.

potter

Jul 29, 2019
The wooden conductive pipe seems to face the wrong way, hit it once with a wrench.
You also don't need to use power to draw items out of the logger, just use regular transport pipes.
I would be wary of using hobbyist steam engines without supplying them with water (do not start supplying water when it is hot though), they can go boom.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
The logger collects sticky resin but it also chops all the trees down, if you just want to collect sticky resin from a bunch of wild rubber trees then you want the Forestry treetap machine. The treetap machine will not cut down the trees just collect the sticky resin from the nodes.

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
ok i got it working but does the logger not pick up sticky resin

I haven't had much luck with sticky resin collection either. Pipe on the side, pipe on the bottom... I'll get logs, apples, saplings but never sticky resin for some reason.
Thankfully you can toss rubber logs into an extractor for rubber.

unholywar23

Jul 29, 2019
The logger collects sticky resin but it also chops all the trees down, if you just want to collect sticky resin from a bunch of wild rubber trees then you want the Forestry treetap machine. The treetap machine will not cut down the trees just collect the sticky resin from the nodes.
I didnt know of this thank you very much. Oh and whats the range on it

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Wow I'm surprised there's absolutely no mention of the treetap machine on the forestry wiki, I guess the machine is relatively new (probably got created when the rubber farm machines were removed).

Basically what you do is create a tree farm as you normally would with an arboretum but you put in sticky tree saplings, and it grows sticky trees. If you put a logger AND treetap down next to the aboretum, the logger will chop down the trees BUT not until the treetap has removed the sticky resin (if the tree contains a node). The logger will pick up any sticky resin that comes from chopping the log of the tree trunk but will not remove sticky resin from the node (that's the treetaps job).

If you want to drop a treetap in the middle of a rubber tree plantation just to pick up sticky resin then you're looking at a slightly bigger range than the arboretum has, I'd hazard a guess at around 15x15 square and the usual 9 height. If you want to mass produce sticky resin then I'd suggest a full blown rubber tree farm with an arboretum, logger and treetap.

I had one and I'm now swimming in sticky resin :D, but be warned, the saplings don't drop enough to sustain a split on the saplings going back into the arboretum and storing the rest. If you use BC pipes and pipe solely back to the arboretum it will overflow and they will spill (the logger will pick them back up and throw them back into the loop), I'm a huge believer in NEVER creating loops of items as it causes massive lag so hopefully with RP we can make this work better.

Ldog

Jul 29, 2019
The treetap is old actually, but still buildable (as opposed to the rubber plantation & farm which have been deprecated).
I am not sure if it works or not since cutting down a rubber tree still gives you some resin. It seems like I get far less resin than I did in 1.2.5

I know everyone has mentioned the unnecessary wooden conductive pipes but no one seems to have caught that you dont need wooden transport pipes for forestry machine output. Also the logger outputs wood on the sides and saplings and apples on top/bottom only. I think resin comes out top/bottom as well.

The wooden pipes are probably whats messing you up. If a forestry machine cannot output material it will destroy it. So if you are between engine strokes and the pipe is off when the logger tries to output that might do it.

Advanced insertion pipe (sorry I forget which Buildcraft mod it is part of and if it is in FTB or not) on the pipe coming from the top of the saplings to the arbor works well for keeping it full. Logistics pipes (but not in FTB either) or RP2 sorting system are more optimal.

Sheant

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

Just use buildcraft gates to only supply as many sapplings as you need.

Here's my testsetup. It also has automatic squeezing of apples, fermenting of superfluous saplings, and making biofuel, but let's ignore that for now.

Vt6A7.jpg

The chest at the bottom gets all the sand. The chest to the right has humus, the one to the left saplings. Humus and saplings go to the yellow output of the diamond pipe, sand to the green one.

The white or gate on the diamond pipe enables a blue pipewire signal if the number of saplings drops below 25% (same for red signal on humus).

The black gates are autarchic, and send pulses on red and blue signals, but you can just as easily use redstone engines and redstone signals if enderballs are an issue.

To automatically process saplings into fuel you could consider only pumping them to the fermenter when the sapling chest is full (and the fermenter has space of course!). A diamond chest is not very useful in that case. Probably easier to use a small inventory. Perhaps an ender chest, hopper or dispenser. (With a dispenser you have to be careful with redstone signals....)

In my opinion, almost any kind of automatic processing can be done with buildcraft gates without ever getting overflowing pipes.

Sheant

Reactions: Ldog

Ldog

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,
Snip
The white or gate on the diamond pipe enables a blue pipewire signal if the number of saplings drops below 25% (same for red signal on humus).

The black gates are autarchic, and send pulses on red and blue signals, but you can just as easily use redstone engines and redstone signals if enderballs are an issue.

To automatically process saplings into fuel you could consider only pumping them to the fermenter when the sapling chest is full (and the fermenter has space of course!). A diamond chest is not very useful in that case. Probably easier to use a small inventory. Perhaps an ender chest, hopper or dispenser. (With a dispenser you have to be careful with redstone signals....)

In my opinion, almost any kind of automatic processing can be done with buildcraft gates without ever getting overflowing pipes.

Sheant

Oh hell, I guess I should read up on changelogs once in a while. I have been less than thrilled with the way the gates work and so I tend to neglect using them. I didnt know there were special triggers for Forestry. When did that happen?

I'll have to give them a go since Forestry and Logistics pipes don't seem to work 100% smoothly together.

I also tend to overlook the humble diamondpipe. So there's another possible automation setup.

Sheant

Jul 29, 2019
When did that happen?
No clue. I have not played with mods for very long, and once I found out about gates the functionality was there. Documentation is rather sparse though, perhaps I should contribute.... I have not found a complete list of all possible inputs, so it seems you have to experiment with what is possible. And I'm not sure if all triggers are available on all gates. At least pipe wire triggering and driving is limited, only the colors used in crafting the gates work on that gate. (none on basic, red on iron, red/blue on gold, all four on diamond).

One thing I used them for a lot is beekeeping. Triggers for missing princess/queen or drone are very useful

I'll have to give them a go since Forestry and Logistics pipes don't seem to work 100% smoothly together.

I also tend to overlook the humble diamondpipe. So there's another possible automation setup.
Humble? Quarter-diamond each. Ridiculously expensive for such an important item. And you need them on forestry automation, as items will often come out of the same pipes that you use to insert stuff.....

What we really need now, is compatibility between gates and redpower tubes. Best of both worlds.....

Ldog

Jul 29, 2019
No clue. I have not played with mods for very long, and once I found out about gates the functionality was there. Documentation is rather sparse though, perhaps I should contribute.... I have not found a complete list of all possible inputs, so it seems you have to experiment with what is possible. And I'm not sure if all triggers are available on all gates. At least pipe wire triggering and driving is limited, only the colors used in crafting the gates work on that gate. (none on basic, red on iron, red/blue on gold, all four on diamond).

One thing I used them for a lot is beekeeping. Triggers for missing princess/queen or drone are very useful

Yeah the documentation for them (and really BC3 in general) is horrible...everyone loves to hate on Techit but there is a lot of good info on their wiki (sitting through 40 minute videos by some nasal prepubescent teen playing crappy music in the background isnt something I have time for).

Humble? Quarter-diamond each. Ridiculously expensive for such an important item. And you need them on forestry automation, as items will often come out of the same pipes that you use to insert stuff.....

What we really need now, is compatibility between gates and redpower tubes. Best of both worlds.....

Well, humble compared to a logistics chassis ;)
I havent had a lot of experience with the RP tubes, I really like RP but got sick of waiting for updates. Glad it is released finally. Of course I still have to wait since too many essential mods arent updated yet. Damn inconsiderate of Mojang to release another update :p

I've only recently gotten into logistics pipes, was always intimidated by them until I found some good guides. They can do some things tubes cant but also are more costly.
RP tubes with gates would be awesome though (and TE conduits and liquid ducts for that matter too)