Does Portal Gun Mod Really Crash Servers?

noppy_dev

Jul 29, 2019
I have been using Feed the Beast for about a month now. it was just recently when I ordered my server from Creeperhost. The server has yet to be set up (I ordered it on Friday). I will be running the Mindcrack pack, as it is optimized for servers, and doesn't have as many mods as ultimate, allowing it to run faster.
I have watched many lets players such as GenerikB and at points they will mention that they can't do Portal Gun because it crashes servers. If it does really crash servers why is it included in the Mindcrack pack, which is specifically meant for servers?
I have tried Portal Gun on SS P and it works fine. Will I be able to do it on my server? Or is it something that I will have to make sure that people won't do on the server?
Thanks,
noppy_dev

PS I am sorry if this is the wrong area to ask this question :/

kolikooo1

Jul 29, 2019
i use edited ultimate but my server never crashed (4-6 times but that is from ID errors) i don't use portal gun 24h a day but its pretty safe. Maybe he was talking about the portal to the moon that can cause lag i never crashed because of it but if you have low fps disable the portal gun to the moon in the configs just to be safer.

noppy_dev

Jul 29, 2019
i use edited ultimate but my server never crashed (4-6 times but that is from ID errors) i don't use portal gun 24h a day but its pretty safe. Maybe he was talking about the portal to the moon that can cause lag i never crashed because of it but if you have low fps disable the portal gun to the moon in the configs just to be safer.

I know this may seem n00by, but what is the whole shooting portals to the moon thing? Is it where you literally shoot a portal at the moon? Is the moon a location made in the portal gun mod?

Anyways, thanks SO much for your reply I just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing by allowing people to use portal gun.

CoderJ

Jul 29, 2019
Shooting a portal to the moon refers to a moment in Portal 2 (no spoilers though... fun game to play and worth it imo). In FTB, shooting a portal at the moon will cause a gravity well on the terrestrial end that eats blocks and players... players end up high above the Overworld and plummet down.

So yeah, best to disable moon shot in the config ;)

noppy_dev

Jul 29, 2019
Shooting a portal to the moon refers to a moment in Portal 2 (no spoilers though... fun game to play and worth it imo). In FTB, shooting a portal at the moon will cause a gravity well on the terrestrial end that eats blocks and players... players end up high above the Overworld and plummet down.

So yeah, best to disable moon shot in the config ;)

Oooh..... Thanks for that warning. I'll remember to do that.