Does ftb Monster require a dedicated GPU

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

lpqrimetime

Jul 29, 2019
I was going to get a cheap laptop, and chances are its probably going to have the intel graphics. Will this still run FTB Monster. I was intending on upgrading the ram quite a bit.

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
depends on the cpu, the igpu on anything below an i5 may not be enough.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
I was going to get a cheap laptop, and chances are its probably going to have the intel graphics. Will this still run FTB Monster. I was intending on upgrading the ram quite a bit.

Throwing "some" extra RAM at MC helps, but graphics card seems to be a must have for Minecraft, specially in server plays. Definitely need a dedicated card as well as at least 4GB or more total RAM for packs like Monster. More so, as Reika's mods/mariculture/Big Reactors/etc/etc come into the picture.

Source: Own experience!

Also, whatever was said above me ^^

EDIT: If you have gaming as one of the main requirements, I would suggest spending the same money on a budget gaming desktop. :)

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
Throwing "some" extra RAM at MC helps, but graphics card seems to be a must have for Minecraft, specially in server plays. Definitely need a dedicated card as well as at least 4GB or more total RAM for packs like Monster. More so, as Reika's mods/mariculture/Big Reactors/etc/etc come into the picture.

EDIT: If you have gaming as one of the main requirements, I would suggest spending the same money on a budget gaming desktop. :)

you can get an easy 60fps on the igpu in the 1st gen haswell i5's (early 4gen i5) the new haswell coming out may be 5-10% better but, if you can get a laptop with a gpu even if its a gt620, get it. nothing like seeing your fps in the high 100- low 200's.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
you can get an easy 60fps on the igpu in the 1st gen haswell i5's (early 4gen i5) the new haswell coming out may be 5-10% better but, if you can get a laptop with a gpu even if its a gt620, get it. nothing like seeing your fps in the high 100- low 200's.

Did you see what I said in my post? ;) Here it is, again.

Basically I agreed with you there :p On a price point though, one can get a much more powerful desktop than a equivalently powerful laptop for the cheaper price. That was the basis of my suggestion for desktops. Plus, screen real estates... with desktops ;)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Will it run it? Sure.
Will you want to play it? Probably not.

You might be able to start up a pristine world and walk around in the beginning with some high periods of getting 40-60FPS, but as soon as you start building anything more complex than a Furnace you are going to pay dearly. IMO there would be no point in playing Monster as half the things in the pack would be off limits anyway as they would make your FPS drop too dramatically to be worth it.

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
Did you see what I said in my post? ;) Here it is, again.

Basically I agreed with you there :p On a price point though, one can get a much more powerful desktop than a equivalently powerful laptop for the cheaper price. That was the basis of my suggestion for desktops. Plus, screen real estates... with desktops ;)

i see.....

but yeah if you could go desktop you really should, its just a better platform then a laptop.
with a desktop you can change any part you want, with a laptop you can change the ram and hard drive. then theres the lower price point part for part.

TheAwesomater

Jul 29, 2019
You should be fine with monster if you remove mods that you do not like. For example, monster has 2 biome mods so you may only want 1 or none of these. Instead of considering which mods take the most memory just use only the mods you want. It may be easy to add to a smaller pack to make this happen.

timandy1

Jul 29, 2019
I play on a laptop with 4G memory, and I give 3G of that for FTB. I play on the Direwolf 1.6 pack with Rotarycraft, magic crops, Extracells, Pams harvestcraft, chisel, Mekanism, advanced machines, and level storage added. (I also plan to add Carpenders blocks) I play with fast graphics, smooth lighting off,Normal render distance And particals on. Once a day or so, I get a MAJOR lag spike that freezes my game for about 5 mins. Other then that, I get 30-60 FPS! And guess what. My laptop does not have a dedicated GPU. EDIT: this is my laptop:
HP - Pavilion 17.3" Laptop - 4GB Memory - 750GB Hard Drive - Anodized Silver
  • Model: 17-e110dx
  • SKU: 3215015

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I am guessing, RoC is rotaryCraft?
Yup

More than 4 gigs is the worst idea you can have! 2-3 gigs is perfect, over 4 gigs is laggier! (The reason for this being trash collection. Usually 4 gigs is highest without lag unless you are running a server.)

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Yup

More than 4 gigs is the worst idea you can have! 2-3 gigs is perfect, over 4 gigs is laggier! (The reason for this being trash collection. Usually 4 gigs is highest without lag unless you are running a server.)

^^ Oh no no no.. That "more than 4GB" remark was for the "system as a whole" :) I know that beyond a point, RAM allocation has a detrimental effect on Java performance. (I've stared at that @Eyamaz thread on JVM arguments for too long ;) )

When you allocate 3 out of 4 GB just for minecraft, the OS performance suffers (YMMV), and if you opened a chat application plus a browser window for wikis and videos, it gets more squeezed for space. So, if OP wants to get more RAM, then investing in it might not be a bad idea after all.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Rage

Jul 29, 2019

I will second this. My daughters rig has an fx-6100 cpu and a gtx 620 and plays monster fine. Not quote as good as my fx-8350 and gtx 770 4gb gaming rig, but it is definitely playable at 50-60 fps. Of course these are both desktops....

Sent From My Note 3 Via Tapatalk App

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
^^ Oh no no no.. That "more than 4GB" remark was for the "system as a whole" :) I know that beyond a point, RAM allocation has a detrimental effect on Java performance. (I've stared at that @Eyamaz thread on JVM arguments for too long ;) )

When you allocate 3 out of 4 GB just for minecraft, the OS performance suffers (YMMV), and if you opened a chat application plus a browser window for wikis and videos, it gets more squeezed for space. So, if OP wants to get more RAM, then investing in it might not be a bad idea after all.
That reminds me, i have a PSA
If you have a smartphone, tablet, or laptop lying around use those for forums and wikis while playing!

Reactions: Padfoote

Darth Sith

Jul 29, 2019
Experienced Intel user here *With Intel graphics 4000* you should be fine as long as you have a good processor (2.0GHZ+) and 6GB of memory because of the shared memory graphics card. FTB Monster needs 2 (maybe 3) gigabytes of ram and your computer needs about 1.5 (Depending on the OS). You want your graphics card to have memory so that's where the rest of the ram comes in.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlCapella

kigconker

Jul 29, 2019
I would say no, the way minecraft in java works is it does all of the pre-rendering things like mapping and processing with your cpu and leaves the very last step to your gpu which is displaying the pixels, I got ftb monster to run at around 45 frames on a i5 4670k, and 60 frames with the same cpu with a gtx 780ti. In the end for things like monster it comes down to the speed of your processor and the speed of your ram (an extra 20 frames and no more slowdown from switching from switching from 1333 timings to 1866 timing, but 2133 had no effect)