Does ftb Monster require a dedicated GPU

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Experienced Intel user here *With Intel graphics 4000* you should be fine as long as you have a good processor (I suggest quad-core) and 6GB of memory because of the shared memory graphics card. FTB Monster needs 2 (maybe 3) gigabytes of ram and your computer needs about 1.5 (Depending on the OS). You want your graphics card to have memory so that's where the rest of the ram comes in.
Quad-core is only useful for things besides minecraft :p

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
Quad-core is only useful for things besides minecraft :p

will this may be true but, you can use multi-core render in optifine and use all of the cores and all of the threads. also mc may only use one core have fun using youtube and minecraft will using a single core cpu.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
will this may be true but, you can use multi-core render in optifine and use all of the cores and all of the threads. also mc may only use one core have fun using youtube and minecraft will using a single core cpu.

erm, or how about a dual core... i don't even think there is a single core cpu on the market these days.

@ThatOneSlowking is correct, though. dual/tri/quad/octa core won't help you with minecraft because the underlying code is single threaded, and optifine can't fix that. optifine is basically a hack, and last I heard it's rendering is horrendous in 1.6.

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/optifine-issue-can-i-get-help-here.42565/

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
[squints eyes]... Ooooh, did I just read an optifine discussion starting?

:) Incoming thread derailment in...

Sorry guys... I couldn't resist this

@midi_sec, not specifically intended at you though, so don't get upset.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
^^ Oh no no no.. That "more than 4GB" remark was for the "system as a whole" :) I know that beyond a point, RAM allocation has a detrimental effect on Java performance. (I've stared at that @Eyamaz thread on JVM arguments for too long ;) )

When you allocate 3 out of 4 GB just for minecraft, the OS performance suffers (YMMV), and if you opened a chat application plus a browser window for wikis and videos, it gets more squeezed for space. So, if OP wants to get more RAM, then investing in it might not be a bad idea after all.

^^^^^This.

Most people forget that they need to reserve a least a little ram for the OS to run. IIRC 1.5GB minimum was needed for Vista, with 1GB minimum for Win 7 and Win 8. A good rule of thumb is to leave 2GB untouched or your swapfile may see some extensive use.

As stated, more than 4GB for Java defeats the purpose of garbage collection, as more cpu time must be devoted to processing the internal routines. Also, Java will allow you to allocate all your ram, in effect giving it permission to overwrite even OS allocations.

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft yes, modded minecraft, no. You need at least a $400-500 computer.
i have bought my pc for around 210e(shity pc), then i added a radeon 6570 , now i have plan to add more ram so i can play bigger packs like monster.
so that is around 210+55+50(4gb ram)=315euros~ for a pc that could run it pretty good with around 40-50 fps on fancy grapichs with normal render distance.
my current specs:Intel Celeron E3400 ocd 3.2ghz,2GB ram,AMD Radeon 6570 1GB GDDR3 128-bit,hdd 500GB..

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
i have bought my pc for around 210e(shity pc), then i added a radeon 6570 , now i have plan to add more ram so i can play bigger packs like monster.
so that is around 210+55+50(4gb ram)=315euros~ for a pc that could run it pretty good with around 40-50 fps on fancy grapichs with normal render distance.
my current specs:Intel Celeron E3400 ocd 3.2ghz,2GB ram,AMD Radeon 6570 1GB GDDR3 128-bit,hdd 500GB..
Heh, I'm talking in USD.

Just wait until you start having a billion things running at the same time. I have a 5x5x18 MAC running over 200 machines continuously in my base. Things get... Thingy.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
It's a mod that a lot of the Minecraft population uses so I would count that as "it depends".
The "feature" that you are referring to is a Hack, though. Also on the tooltip it specifically says local world. it causes more problems than it solves in 86% of cases (inb4 statistics on the internet), and it's not even usable in a SMP environment.

Look man, I know you just got back from a long vacation (as did I) but optifine is not the same wunderbeast it used to be.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
Heh, I'm talking in USD.

Just wait until you start having a billion things running at the same time. I have a 5x5x18 MAC running over 200 machines continuously in my base. Things get... Thingy.
i always tend to build less laggy(across several chunks) and i never made a progress like that . :p
btw:315Euros=432.023$ so it seems that we are talking about same configurations.. :)