Does anyone know if it's possible to make the Automap mod work with FTB?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Darkmatter

Jul 29, 2019
I looked with google, and I searched on these forums but I couldn't find anything, so I'm hoping if I make a post someone will be able to help.
BTW I'm still really new to FTB so I'm not sure if I need to mention this info, but just in case, I'll add that...

I'm playing on a fairly new MP map that I don't admin. I can ask the admin to do something if its needed but I can't say for sure if he'd do it. Lastly, in case it matters, we are using the Direwolf20 mod pack.

Thanks for reading.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
from the page
-------------------
Download links: http://www.minecraftam.com/.

Minecraft AutoMap is the most advanced real-time map available. It is like having your own spy satellite with night vision, x-ray vision, and mineral detection!

* Right click to make it a movable, resizable, borderless minimap!

You can even use AutoMap's Power Toys to instantly teleport long distances or blow up objects:
-------------------

If you can convince an admin to install this I would be surprised - ore detection and x-ray vision nullify several legitimate mapping options in ftb including the twilight forest magic maps and the vanilla map in general. For navigation throughout the explored world - rei's minimap does a bangup job with placeable markers and visible death points. Mystcraft, IndustrialCraft2, portal mod and universal electricity add long distance teleportation (depending on which modpack you use). OD and OV scanners from IC2, thaumcraft elemental picks and TF magic ore maps give you mineral detection. IC2 nukes and railcraft tnt carts along with craftable throwable industrial tnt sticks and sticky dynamite sticks allow you to blow up objects.

It would be the same as installing treecapitator - it overrides the high tech thaumcraft axe. As always you are free to install whatever mods you want in your minecraft, but I think you would be cutting your own FTB experience short by doing it.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
In that case - running this on a server would be straight up cheating by bypassing many mod balance points and giving yourself an unfair advantage over other player.

in single player, anything is fair game.

Darkmatter

Jul 29, 2019
So, FTB has mods that can do many of the things that Automap can do, yet Automap is cheating, and the other stuff isn't? BTW just to clarify, I've never touched the "power tools" or whatever else he calls them, I just like the map. I've used that mod for a looong time now and it hasn't spoiled my fun yet. It really just depends how you use it. (use vs abuse)

BTW, calling it cheating is a little over the top don't you think? Considering you know nothing about where I play or how I play, you'd have to make a lot of assumptions to come to the conclusion of "cheating."

I'd also like to say that, while I am quite happy to hear out anyones opinions on the subject, I would appreciate it if your going to post your opinion about the situation, could you at least also try to help me find the answer to my question? :)

EDIT: I forgot to add that Automap needs another mod loaded for it to work, and as far as I know, theres no workaround to get it to work without that other mod. This other mod is called ModLoader.

Thanks.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
So, FTB has mods that can do many of the things that Automap can do, yet Automap is cheating, and the other stuff isn't? BTW just to clarify, I've never touched the "power tools" or whatever else he calls them, I just like the map. I've used that mod for a looong time now and it hasn't spoiled my fun yet. It really just depends how you use it. (use vs abuse)

Cheating is an act, and requires no mods. Likewise, no mod is cheating, although some mods are designed solely to perform acts of cheating.

AutoMap is a grey area at least for FTB, in that configured correctly (by the user) it performs the same exact function as Rei's minimap, except the map is outside the game window and viewable on a second monitor. The problem is that, completely under the users control and not blockable by a server operator, it can perform all sorts of directly cheating things, some of which are not directly detectable by a server.

Some (vanilla) servers would consider REIs minimap to be cheating. It's all depends on if you're violating the rules.

FWIW, it works just fine in FTB. I used it in Mindcrack v6 or so, but decided I'd rather play full screen (and I'm currently playing on a laptop, so no dual head display). It's a modloader mod, but works as if it was for forge.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
It's only cheating if you use it to gain an advantage on a survival multiplayer server that other players on that server do not have. I recommended DynMap as an alternative for SMP, because it has additional multiplayer-friendly features. For single player, or on a server where everyone uses the same settings, nothing can be cheating in a sandbox game that can be so exactly tailored to your personal preferences.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
If you're just looking for a client-side out of game replacement for the (terrible) vanilla maps, try JourneyMap. It works flawlessly with FTB, although it has problems with blocks with ID > 256. If yo run into these problems, send me a PM, I have a solution.

canilsen

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know about a mod / program that makes a still image of the map, that works with ftb? We used mcmap in vanilla, but that doesn't work with ftb blocks.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
DynMap does fairly well, there are a couple blocks it won't show properly yet but it's being actively maintained to be mod-compatible.

canilsen

Jul 29, 2019
Does dynmap have a function to create a image? I'd like to not have to run it all the time

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019

BTW, calling it cheating is a little over the top don't you think? Considering you know nothing about where I play or how I play, you'd have to make a lot of assumptions to come to the conclusion of "cheating."

I'd also like to say that, while I am quite happy to hear out anyones opinions on the subject, I would appreciate it if your going to post your opinion about the situation, could you at least also try to help me find the answer to my question? :)

EDIT: I forgot to add that Automap needs another mod loaded for it to work, and as far as I know, theres no workaround to get it to work without that other mod. This other mod is called ModLoader.

Thanks.
ModLoader does not work with Forge.
Of course, any ModLoader mod that does not modify base classes will work on Forge.
On calling the mods and not the map cheating, the map gives it all free.
You have to actually make the stuff with mods.
*Le sigh*

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I always want to make a "IT LIVES!" comment when a thread gets necro'd

So this time I did.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
I just noticed that this thread is really old.
Y3XXA!
COME HERE AND UPDATE YOUR RANDOM NECROS LIST!