Do you struggle with "convenience" cheating?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Holy necro Batman! ... but interesting points here from a post I never came across, so I'll add my 2 cents.

I successfully managed to keep myself off the OP list (nobody is OP on the server).

If a player is in some dire situation that GENUINELY requires OP intervention, I log into McMyAdmin and do it through console.

The only exception I do with spawning in stuff for people, is when for example someone spends a stupid amount of time building a machine or something and loses it by throwing it in the trash or dropping it in lava by genuine mistake. I'd rather repsawn it for them, than having them quit the game over one silly item.

And the couple of times when someone got too excited, and lost control of a Wither in the nether - which brought server TPS to its knees; and another time where someone flooded ALL The End with water.

I do however have keepInventory=true. I'm not happy about it, as people use suicide as a shortcut back home and I hate that, but I do realise the frustration of losing all your head-earned stuff when you die 700 blocks away from home just because one stupid creeper sneaked up on you.

It's all about keeping a balance between fairness and frustration - people play to have fun and relax at the end of the day (the reason why I don't play any of the Dark Souls - it's distilled essence of frustration that one).

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It's all about keeping a balance between fairness and frustration - people play to have fun and relax at the end of the day (the reason why I don't play any of the Dark Souls - it's distilled essence of frustration that one).
+1

Holy necro Batman! ... but interesting points here from a post I never came across, so I'll add my 2 cents.
pyure said:
I'm kinda glad nobody got all riled up about a nearly-three-year-old necropost here.
It was only a matter of time :p

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I'll start by saying that most of my play is SMP on a friend's personal server where I have no OP status, but could easily get any assistance I needed/wanted, as we play more friendly than serious. That stated, I like to break things. I usually come up with some convoluted multi-mod interaction dupe in packs I play. It's a gift.

Once I've found such an exploit, it is difficult to not use it, although this is made easier by knowing how having such abuse at my fingertips utterly ruined a play-through of Monster in my early modded days. It allowed me to plow through mod progression, which helped me learn those mods, but it also allowed me to completely remove all aspect of challenge from my game, thus making it uninteresting.

I've recently made my own custom pack which purposely left out most of the repeat offenders (mods I have been able to break into allowing major exploits on more than one version). It took less than a week for me to find a number of cross mod exploits in my new pack, which (after reporting my findings) has led me to play my world less and less as my temptation to boost my way through has risen at each minor challenge.

I'm fine not cheating so long as it's not an option. If I'm playing SSP with cheats enabled, I don't even consider using it unless some recipe is broken or some mods disagree with each other causing progression problems. If I manage to make mods work together to create infinite energy, iron, lava, or anything else, I find it difficult not to abuse it, and even go so far as to automate it on occasion. I use mental gymnastics to convince myself that since I had to work to find it, and it's obtainable without "cheating", it's justified. It never works for long.

I both take pride in being able to break things this way and simultaneously hate myself for doing it.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Only if I get a BS lagg death or player data corruption. Otherwise I actually control myself rather well with cheats.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

knn03

Jul 29, 2019
On my old computer I had very bad lag in the nether, so I would turn on creative to recover my items whenever I died. It's not so much of a problem on my current computer.

I never got far enough to build a fusion reactor in Ultimate, so now and again I have an urge to start a new Ultimate world. After starting countless worlds I tell myself it's ok to play in peaceful mode, as the focus now is to collect resources and build, not fending off monsters.

Linda Hartlen

Jul 29, 2019
Well.. no. What you wanted a longer answer? Sure here goes...

Back in FTB Unhinged I would cheat back in engines that blew up because I gave them too much EU, but I come to realize that not only did that ruin my fun it also made me a very sloppy builder. And well as it happens one time I wasn't thinking and attached a Plasma Generator to my main cable by mistake as the cable was a tad to close ^^ So having blown up almost every single machine I just said.. eff it! But after the anger had subsided I realised the problem was I was just sloppy because it didnt matter that things blew up. So now I am super careful with my voltages etc, sure it costs more time and resources not to mention space but I have become a better builder.

The reason I can safely say no (with one caveat that i will come to) I just finished setting up an energy bridge to keep an Electric Wrench in my ME network to make machine casings instead of using the Assembly machine with plates and machine parts. BUT as soon as I got it working I felt, this is kinda cheaty. So I will probably tear it down, it just feels wrong. Heck since I have added GT myself some recepies have not been turned into hardmode for things like Redstone energy cells and I feel bad enough about that but I digress.

The only thing I will cheat in is leather if a machine needs it, I just can't bring myself to kill the cows. They are too cute, but I wont use it for things like armour or anything. I will just have to go without armour until iron (so.. file, hammer and such first, you know GT :) ).

Now if someone finds more enjoyment cheating some things in, well I personally see no harm in it. It is a single player game, you are not hurting anyone else. So play the game any way you find enjoyment in.

S

sturla2409

I've never cheated and will mever do. Not even when a creeper bloes up all of my machines (happened more times than I want to think about...). It would just ruin the fun. I have mo creatures installed so mobs can always be a dangerous things.

Vapez

Aetherpirate

Jul 29, 2019
I use the gravestone mod on my server. Still have to go and get your stuff back, but it will all be there. Mob griefing off, my fun is obtained from building. Having it all blown up would make me quit.

I did make the mistake of building a jetpack-only accessible base, and then dying in the base stupidly. That was one giant nerd-pole. Afterwards I made a small hut at the base with a backup jetpack, and a Hydrogen tank.

Reactions: RedBoss

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
The only thing I will cheat in is leather if a machine needs it, I just can't bring myself to kill the cows. They are too cute, but I wont use it for things like armour or anything. I will just have to go without armour until iron (so.. file, hammer and such first, you know GT :) ).

You can always use other methods to turn rotten flesh into leather :D

You can use extremely basic beginner Botania to do that. Will only take you like 20 mins to get to that point if you start Botania from absolute scratch.

In some modpacks (I think the DW20's do it) you can just chuck rotten flesh in a furnace - but not sure if that still applies.

Linda Hartlen

Jul 29, 2019
You can always use other methods to turn rotten flesh into leather :D

You can use extremely basic beginner Botania to do that. Will only take you like 20 mins to get to that point if you start Botania from absolute scratch.

In some modpacks (I think the DW20's do it) you can just chuck rotten flesh in a furnace - but not sure if that still applies.

Well.. eh.. yes :) Toss rotten flesh into a redstone furnace.. see how often I use those machines as I didnt even think of that? ^^ Last time I used those was before dynamos where introduced ^^ But yes I had forgot that for some reason. Dont have botania in my pack so cant use that but yeah.. eh.. how to make redstone energy thingies these days.. *mumbles and goes back to tinker with her GT machines*