Do we know anything about FTB Beyond?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
Do we know anything about FTB Beyond other than it should be out this month?

Main things I'd like to know:
- Is there a mod list yet?
- Do we know if they are using AE2 or Refined Storage? My gut says AE2 but considering a recent poll had 59% of people preferring Refined Storage who knows?
- Will it still have Mekanism?

Deciding if I should start a new FTB Infinity Lite world, or wait...

joshwoo70

Jul 29, 2019
AFAIK there will be Thermal Expansion.. don't quote me on that XD

sent from a phone using tapatalk.

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
-Yes, somewhere, although it's old now
-I believe both
-Not to my knowledge

Thermal Expansion is fairly certain to be in there.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
uhm... TechReborn is in it. (as of list that Quetzi posted)
Either we are getting a pack that has it as optional to be activated or I don´t see how this will fit for the usual FTB Flagship user Range.

I would love to see a hardmode with TechReborn(Gregtech) personaly but for normal mode I can´t imagine how this will balance.
I think the FTB team is a lot more expirience then me in this of course and they will know what they are doing.
Just makes me realy interested in what we are getting here.

also Am I still right that by this month we are getting (if everything goes right) the normal mode and then during the next weeks/month the Hardmode?
I just got burnedout on a HQM Gregtech modpack yesterday and I try to fill this hole in my soul with some SkyForge or DW 1.10/1.10 Lite playthrough.
But from the current modlist I can´t find anything that would make me like to change to FTB-Beyond before the hard mode. Some mods more are in there but nothing I could not simply add to ftb Lite 1.10.

What is what will make Beyond different from other 1.10 kitchen sink packs?
I realy only ask in order too know if it worth it to start a Skyblock map. If it is more or less the same I will stick to it until hardmode. If there are mayor changes, I will not start the Skyblock and delete the map after 1-2 weeks.

Reactions: Bedrockbreaker

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
What is what will make Beyond different from other 1.10 kitchen sink packs?
The mods in it and the fact that its newer.

That sounds like a snarky reply and its not really intended to be, just a reminder that the question itself is a bit odd to build an answer for. All modpacks are different from one another if they have different mods and configs. And if it falls into the Kitchen Sink category (?) then its almost by definition limited to those factors in terms of differences.

The more you get away from those factors, the less it becomes a KS pack and the more it becomes a themed or niche pack.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
The mods in it and the fact that its newer.

That sounds like a snarky reply and its not really intended to be, just a reminder that the question itself is a bit odd to build an answer for. All modpacks are different from one another if they have different mods and configs. And if it falls into the Kitchen Sink category (?) then its almost by definition limited to those factors in terms of differences.

The more you get away from those factors, the less it becomes a KS pack and the more it becomes a themed or niche pack.

Well, yes. Your answer is snarky and my question is stupid if we read it without the rest of what I explained.
Also I normaly have problems to reduce my explanation to the important stuff and people get distrected by so much bla bla from me :)

So lets try again.
Since a GregTech Mod is in the Pack, I don´t think that this is for everyone. But since FTB Flagship Packs are usually kitchen sink packs, this does not fit. (as far as I can object)

I started SkyFactory 3 just yesterday. But I know I will fall for the hype of FTB Beyond and will play it as well. So if 90% of the Mods are the same in both packs, I would like to know this now so I don´t have to start over again in some weeks.
Note that this is not a problem of any Modpack or their content. I´m nut judging any of this and there is no Problem in having different packs with similar content.
Its just for me personal decision making on what to spend my time the next weeks :)

Aaaand I can understand that no one will give me this answer as well :p But I gotta try.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
So lets try again.
Since a GregTech Mod is in the Pack, I don´t think that this is for everyone. But since FTB Flagship Packs are usually kitchen sink packs, this does not fit. (as far as I can object)
If you mean TechReborn, my limited research suggests its only a GT mod in essentially the same sense that something like, say, Mekanism is a GT mod. In fact, I find Mek to be grindier. TechReborn doesn't tweak existing mechanics or even have two-dimensional power. It uses simple power such as RF like "normal" mods. (And Greg has nothing to do with it)

I think a more fair answer to "what is different" is that its an Official FTB pack, and I find the team gets better at making them every year. The difference may simply be the degree of quality.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
I find this infact a fair answer and I have yo admit that my evento quicker research pm TechReborn was miss leading me:)

Enviado desde mi Aquaris X5 Plus mediante Tapatalk

Reactions: Pyure
J

JackDraco

Nice list. There were a couple things that stuck out to me:
  • JEI and NEI? Is there a benefit to having both?
  • No RFTools Dimensions
  • TOP instead of WAILA
  • No BOP or other biome mods
  • No FastLeafDecay :(
  • No AromaBackup - does one of the other mods handle backups?
  • No Roguelike Dungeons/Recurrent Complex/other structure gen
  • Iron Backpacks instead of Bagginses
  • The list should likely also contain Shadowfacts' Forgelin, as I believe ShadowMC requires it
These aren't complaints, just things I found interesting. Except the lack of FastLeafDecay... that one is a complaint ;). I understand that this list is possibly outdated and may not reflect what actually makes it into the release version of the pack.

What are other people's thoughts?

Last edited:

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I mostly care about FTB Beyond because it helped push development of the CoFH Suite. I can't use the Curse Launcher, so the pack is otherwise useless to me, and I am getting more and more disenfranchised with the FTB logo.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I mostly care about FTB Beyond because it helped push development of the CoFH Suite.
Concur

I can't use the Curse Launcher, so the pack is otherwise useless to me
Can't because of technical reasons, or other? (I don't need a speech if the latter, just generally curious. I'm growing fond of the launcher myself, similar to how I eventually warmed up to Steam.)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Can't because of technical reasons, or other? (I don't need a speech if the latter, just generally curious. I'm growing fond of the launcher myself, similar to how I eventually warmed up to Steam.)
Technical reasons. Specifically: I run Linux. And Curse Launcher is the only launcher which I would have to jump through annoying hoops with WINE to get to work.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
Nice list. There were a couple things that stuck out to me:
  • JEI and NEI? Is there a benefit to having both?
  • No RFTools Dimensions
  • TOP instead of WAILA
  • No BOP or other biome mods
  • No FastLeafDecay :(
  • No AromaBackup - does one of the other mods handle backups?
  • No Roguelike Dungeons/Recurrent Complex/other structure gen
  • Iron Backpacks instead of Bagginses
  • The list should likely also contain Shadowfacts' Forgelin, as I believe ShadowMC requires it

While I'm not the pack developer I can probably shed some light on some of this:
  • NEI is now a JEI addon, it adds the utility buttons etc
  • No custom dimensions for stability reasons (they can easy spiral out of control)
  • Personally I'd also prefer WAILA, but TOP essentially works the same way
  • No Fast Leaf Decay again, for stability reasons, it really hammers TPS
  • FTB Utilities handles backups
  • I gather this is mainly because of considerations going forward to an expert mode, those style of mod are incredibly difficult to balance around
  • They cover the same functionality, as with WAILA and TOP
  • It was probably split off after the pack list was generated, it's been a while since I loaded the pack, that list is not current by any means.

Reactions: JackDraco and Pyure
G

Gargosch

While I'm not the pack developer I can probably shed some light on some of this:
  • NEI is now a JEI addon, it adds the utility buttons etc
  • No custom dimensions for stability reasons (they can easy spiral out of control)
  • Personally I'd also prefer WAILA, but TOP essentially works the same way
  • No Fast Leaf Decay again, for stability reasons, it really hammers TPS
  • FTB Utilities handles backups
  • I gather this is mainly because of considerations going forward to an expert mode, those style of mod are incredibly difficult to balance around
  • They cover the same functionality, as with WAILA and TOP
  • It was probably split off after the pack list was generated, it's been a while since I loaded the pack, that list is not current by any means.

What about Biomes o' Plenty? Do you know something about that?

J

JackDraco

Thanks for the info, @Quetzi. Is there a more current list somewhere? Or are we so close to release that compiling the list wouldn't be worth it? :)

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
If I get time I'll try and update that list when I get home from work in a few hours