Do modded 1.7.10 require a higher OpenGL version?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

RitoruSuta

Jul 29, 2019
Normaly if a modpack is too huge, i either have bad FPS or/and huge lag or run out of memory (RAM), never any other type of error, but with 1.7.10, even with the smallest selfmade pack will result of OpenGL error 1281: Invalid Value, 1285: Out of memory (Flickering texture, blank texture and console error spam) and 1286: Invalid framebuffer operation (With the lastest version of FTB Lite 3) while FPS are great and don't even use about 45%-60% out of 1go ram usage.

DxDiag: http://pastebin.com/G9dYKkgU
Java 8 Update 31 (Build 1.8.0_31-b13)
OpenGl 2.1

Mod i've tested that give me those OpenGl Error:
ATG
Agricraft
Antique Atlas
Biome of Plenty
Chisel 2
ForgeMicroBlock (Not sure but if i dont have this mod install,with Agricraft 1.4.6 Hotfix compatibility with microblock set to true, OpenGl error show up)
JourneyMap
JABBA (Somewhat, it happen once as i've removed that mod and the error stopped. 1281: Invalid Value)
Map Writer 2
Natura ( While chopping down and sickle leaf on a Redwood tree )
Opis
Project Red
Rei/Zan's minimap

I where using FTB Lite 3 as a base (The version that was out about 2 week ago), but the modpack kept breaking itself. I where able to have a stable pack with last for about 4 day (spoiler bellow) without any error. So thinking of fixing the problem by deleting everything and reinstall with the lastest FTB Lite 3 version, it as become worser than before. Optifine got broken (lost stability, low fps, option not working), inventory bug with Tinker Construct (Quitting inventory automatily open back inventory GUI) and frequent OpenGl error.

Modpack:
Antique Atlas 4.2.10
Agricraft 1.4.4
BDlib 1.9.1.97
BiblioCraft v1.11.4 and forestry addons
Carpenter's Blocks v3.3.8_dev_r4
CodeChickenCore 1.0.6.43 universal
CoFHCore 3.0.3-303
ExtraUtilities 1.2.10
Fastcraft 1.21
Forestry 4.2.0.47
IguanaTweak 2.1.5
InventoryTweaks 1.59 Dev152
MineFactoryReloaded 2.8.0-104
neiaddons 1.12.11.36
NotEnoughtItem 1.0.4.107 Universal
NotEnoughKey 1.0.0b29
OpenBlocks 1.4.4
OpenModsLib 0.8
Optifine HD C1
SimplyJetpack 1.5.1
SolarFlux 0.8b
Tconstruct 1.8.5
ThermalDynamics 1.1.0-161
ThermalExpansion 4.0.3B1-218
ThermalFoundation 1.2.0-102
TiCTooltips 1.2.5
Waila 1.5.10
Witchery 0.24.1

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Please provide some needed info:
1). OS 1a). (32 or 64 bit?)
2). Amount of Ram installed 2a). Ram allocated to Java and MC
3). Video type (integrated on mainboard or GPU on separate expansion card)

Reasons this info is needed:
1. Basically, a 32-bit OS will run vanilla MC and FtB lite but not much else
2. Depending on your OS and version, you have to have a minimum of 1-2GB for the OS in addition to ram for Java and MC to use.
3. If you are using "built-in" graphics you have two disadvantages... First, the integrated Intel graphics are intended for Business graphics and not really intended for games, and Second, takes ram from the system that is not available for either the OS or the game... most GPU cards have their own dedicated ram on board and don't impact the system. If your mainboard has integrated graphics and a GPU card then you should check to see if you can turn off the integrated graphics in the BIOS (or UEFI if the system is newer) because if left enabled it will still keep that block of ram from any other use and slow the system down by interrupting the CPU for video operations.

RitoruSuta

Jul 29, 2019
Information your requesting is all in the DxDiag log, but here:
-Windows 7 Edition Familial Premium 32-bit
-2048MB RAM, 1792MB RAM OS available, FTB launcher allow 1go at maximum. Java argument, -Xmx1G -Xmn128M.
-Integrated RAMDAC, NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / NVIDIA nForce 630a

As i remember, my last pack i've played was Crash landing. Fps was low but playable and only issue was running out of memory (ram) after 1-2 hour of gameplay or alot of generating new chunk. No crash ore OpenGl error.

I try to atleast use ligth mod and less than 60 total mod count to have low RAM use and etc. Atleast having 1 type of mod each : Tech, Research and magic, with are Thermal expansion, Forestry and Wicthery. Tinker Construct is about to bypass a bug with 1.7.10 with enchanted glow dropping fps. These mod seem to work fine but as im using the newer release of Ftb lite 3, forge version migth not be compatible with Optifine and Tinker Construct. Thus i dont understands what is causing these error. I mean how ATG cause OpenGl error 1285: Out of memory, it not supposed to be more RAM use rather than gpu if it only about world gen? I get it more than Biome of plently, with add more stuff and get only that error in rare occasion. Any type of mod that add a Map Gui cause OpenGl error, i've tryed ligther one with are Antique Atlas and Xareos Minimap with still cause that error.

I can away remake the modpack and post the minecraft log, but how to change Forge version on FTB Lite 3 as certain mod require a minimum version?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
First off, you are using a 32 bit OS, which means you are using 32 bit Java. This throttles the amount of RAM you are able to provide to MC, irregardless of what you try to provide it. This is what is causing your problems right here.

It sounds like you are using some decidedly 'legacy hardware' with a 32 bit proc/motherboard and built-in GPU, which are fairly notorious for being bad.

This means you won't be able to play on large mod packs, and the specific mods you pick out as giving you fits will, indeed, continue giving you fits until you are able to upgrade to a 64 bit OS, which will probably mean buying a whole new computer. I find it a bit silly that you've got Dx11 since your hardware can't support most of its features.

OpenGL 2.1 was old when Minecraft first came out, and is being depreciated. Do a driver update. I believe that particular card can support 4.2. This will ease, but not eliminate, your problems.

RitoruSuta

Jul 29, 2019
First off, you are using a 32 bit OS, which means you are using 32 bit Java. This throttles the amount of RAM you are able to provide to MC, irregardless of what you try to provide it. This is what is causing your problems right here.
I understands that but how RAM affect openGL? Is not something to do with GPU? as i don't even use more than 500mo from 1go allowed.

After checking, only Java needed an update, with is Java 8 update 66 now. About Dx11 and OpenGl, it seem that what the driver offer me after a bit of research.

For now, i've recreated my modpack without using FTB Laucher and NEI install, maybe that fix it. It run smoother without the choppiness, inventory lag and OpenGl error. Im gonna test it further to see if it reappear or not.

Using MultiMC with these argument:
-XX:HeapDumpPath=MojangTricksIntelDriversForPerformance_javaw.exe_minecraft.exe.heapdump -Xms512m -Xmx1024m

Btw, what -Dforge.forceNoStencil=true for? I've see that in some post about OpenGl error.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I understands that but how RAM affect openGL? Is not something to do with GPU? as i don't even use more than 500mo from 1go allowed.

After checking, only Java needed an update, with is Java 8 update 66 now. About Dx11 and OpenGl, it seem that what the driver offer me after a bit of research.

For now, i've recreated my modpack without using FTB Laucher and NEI install, maybe that fix it. It run smoother without the choppiness, inventory lag and OpenGl error. Im gonna test it further to see if it reappear or not.

Using MultiMC with these argument:
-XX:HeapDumpPath=MojangTricksIntelDriversForPerformance_javaw.exe_minecraft.exe.heapdump -Xms512m -Xmx1024m

Btw, what -Dforge.forceNoStencil=true for? I've see that in some post about OpenGl error.
Why are you using intel tweaks on an AMD proc?

I will reiterate, OpenGL 2.1 was old when Minecraft first launched. According to the information I pulled up on nVidia's site, you can upgrade that to 4.2 with the most current drivers, which is quite surprising actually. This will solve several problems, or at least make them less bad.

Ultimately, you're on 32 bit java. You will NEVER have the same performance anyone on 64 bit java will have. You will be chugging along at 20fps when most pepople are cruising at 60fps. Until this gets fixed, you cannot realistically run any of the 'kitchen sink' packs that FTB is famous for, because more mods = more RAM needed. Very few packs these days are able to run with 32 bit Java.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
More details regarding 32/64 bit operations:

32 bit Operating systems are limited to a maximum of 4GB ram, because 4,294,967,296 is the maximum number of addresses on a 32 bit address bus.

By comparison, a 64-bit address space allows up to 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 addresses to be used... Microsoft does artificially limit this availability, with Consumer versions limited more than enterprise or Server versions.

Here's a page showing maximum ram availability by Windows version and CPU type:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx

Basically, your Windows 7 version has a limit of 4GB for 32-bit and 16GB for 64-bit. If you had 64-bit Windows 7 Pro the limit would be 192GB.

For comparison, Windows 8 and 10 Home have 4GB for 32-bit... 64 bit Windows 8 Pro is limited to 128GB while Windows 10 Pro has a limit of 2TB. (Windows Server 2012 has limits up to 4TB for the highest versions).

A 64-bit system can run a 32-bit OS... That was how I slowly upgraded to 64 bits years ago, but the ram limits still apply... You have to upgrade the software to get the benefits of newer hardware.

A warning... You could hypothetically have a 64-bit operating system and still load a 32-bit Java without knowing. The last time I used the download button on the Oracle page I got the 32-bit version, even though I had 64-bit Java on the system! Now I manually select the version I want.

RitoruSuta

Jul 29, 2019
Why are you using intel tweaks on an AMD proc?

I will reiterate, OpenGL 2.1 was old when Minecraft first launched. According to the information I pulled up on nVidia's site, you can upgrade that to 4.2 with the most current drivers, which is quite surprising actually. This will solve several problems, or at least make them less bad.
Funny thing, i've noticed this was there when checking the log, as i didnt even add the arguments. I dont know where you checked that information, but i cant upgrade to OpenGl 4.2, as there no way to download and automaticcaly come with the video driver.

I know everything about 32bit and 64bit and their limit, unfortunatly is not answering my question as is more about GPU rather than RAM, i might have poorly explained what i wanted to know due im french. So i re-explain my question.

What have changed in 1.7.10 to gave me these OpenGl error? Is it something to do with the coding or mod being more ressource hungry? Or either mod incompatibilty become some mod still in beta? Would it be because my OpenGl version is low to be able to play certain mod together? Because i've only get these error while playing with few mod on 1.7.10, while i could load and play Magic world 2 or Tech world 2 with any OpenGl error on 1.6.4 at all.

By exemple, how ATG is GPU related? Are world generation supposed to be more CPU and RAM usage? or is was a mod causing comflit by letting me think ATG was the issue? With mod would you not recommand me in the mod i've been listed?

Tzukasa

Jul 29, 2019
You've only got 2gigs total of system memory?! This is why, aside from your gpu and cpu being sooo very limited. If this mod pack was it's own game say on steam that had listed min requirements, you would not meet them. I'm sorry to say your computer just isn't good enough to run modded minecraft or most any modern video game. The standard for pc gaming these days is 8gigs of total system memory and a 64bit system. I don't think there's anything you can do to make this better without upgrading to a better computer.

My only suggestion would be to select a small handful maybe 5 mods that you really want to use and install them manually into vanilla mc, as a modpack like FTB is just too heavy for a non gaming rig like that.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Information your requesting is all in the DxDiag log, but here:
-Windows 7 Edition Familial Premium 32-bit
-2048MB RAM, 1792MB RAM OS available, FTB launcher allow 1go at maximum. Java argument, -Xmx1G -Xmn128M.
-Integrated RAMDAC, NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / NVIDIA nForce 630a

As i remember, my last pack i've played was Crash landing. Fps was low but playable and only issue was running out of memory (ram) after 1-2 hour of gameplay or alot of generating new chunk. No crash ore OpenGl error.

I try to atleast use ligth mod and less than 60 total mod count to have low RAM use and etc. Atleast having 1 type of mod each : Tech, Research and magic, with are Thermal expansion, Forestry and Wicthery. Tinker Construct is about to bypass a bug with 1.7.10 with enchanted glow dropping fps. These mod seem to work fine but as im using the newer release of Ftb lite 3, forge version migth not be compatible with Optifine and Tinker Construct. Thus i dont understands what is causing these error. I mean how ATG cause OpenGl error 1285: Out of memory, it not supposed to be more RAM use rather than gpu if it only about world gen? I get it more than Biome of plently, with add more stuff and get only that error in rare occasion. Any type of mod that add a Map Gui cause OpenGl error, i've tryed ligther one with are Antique Atlas and Xareos Minimap with still cause that error.

I can away remake the modpack and post the minecraft log, but how to change Forge version on FTB Lite 3 as certain mod require a minimum version?

Looking back at the system spec I see your Ram config. Notice that of the 2048MB you have installed you can only use 1792MB? the missing 256MB is the ram being reserved by the integrated graphics.

Now subtract about another 1GB for the OS... if the OS can't run nothing else will. In addition, you have to subtract a bit of ram for OpenGL to operate since it is an additional driver to load... I don't know the requirements, since I haven't used OpenGL since the '90s. I'd switch to DirectX, because version 11 should already be installed if you regularly update Windows. Your nForce 630 should support it... My 610 does.

This leaves considerably less than 1GB for MC to run. Your largest delay may be caused by windows having to continually use the "swapfile" on the hard disk. I'm betting your hard drive runs almost continually even if you run vanilla MC.

The best thing you could possibly do short of a new machine is upgrade your Ram. 4GB would ensure that both the OS and Java/MC can be happy, but beware... 1.7.x Minecraft does require more memory than 1.6.x and on a 32-bit machine will not support the 100-200 mods common in popular packs.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
On a 32bit OS your process is limited to 2GB of address space. This has to be shared between the Java exe and all the dlls it needs, the memory used by the Java VM, and the memory OpenGL needs to cache textures. -Xmx1024m has allocated fully half to the VMs available heap, leaving OpenGL scrapping it out with the Java and system binaries and other Java VM allocation.

Adding more RAM without upgrading to a 64bit OS is unlikely to help. Your non hardware option is to reduce your -Xmx allocation to perhaps -Xmx768m

But that will reduce the number of mods you can run.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
On a 32bit OS your process is limited to 2GB of address space. This has to be shared between the Java exe and all the dlls it needs, the memory used by the Java VM, and the memory OpenGL needs to cache textures. -Xmx1024m has allocated fully half to the VMs available heap, leaving OpenGL scrapping it out with the Java and system binaries and other Java VM allocation.

Adding more RAM without upgrading to a 64bit OS is unlikely to help. Your non hardware option is to reduce your -Xmx allocation to perhaps -Xmx768m

But that will reduce the number of mods you can run.

Adding more ram would allow the operating system to operate freely while allowing the process to access up to 2GB. Considering that Win7 needs about a gigabyte by itself, not including the 256MB in this case taken by the integrated graphics.

It's not like Java etc. is capable of operating in a vacuum, as lots of people here seem to think... :D

RitoruSuta

Jul 29, 2019
Looking back at the system spec I see your Ram config. Notice that of the 2048MB you have installed you can only use 1792MB? the missing 256MB is the ram being reserved by the integrated graphics.

Now subtract about another 1GB for the OS... if the OS can't run nothing else will. In addition, you have to subtract a bit of ram for OpenGL to operate since it is an additional driver to load... I don't know the requirements, since I haven't used OpenGL since the '90s. I'd switch to DirectX, because version 11 should already be installed if you regularly update Windows. Your nForce 630 should support it... My 610 does.

This leaves considerably less than 1GB for MC to run. Your largest delay may be caused by windows having to continually use the "swapfile" on the hard disk. I'm betting your hard drive runs almost continually even if you run vanilla MC.

The best thing you could possibly do short of a new machine is upgrade your Ram. 4GB would ensure that both the OS and Java/MC can be happy, but beware... 1.7.x Minecraft does require more memory than 1.6.x and on a 32-bit machine will not support the 100-200 mods common in popular packs.
I think i understands a bit better about it, still there some stuff a dont understands. I alway trough that RAM was not involve with this, from also what certain people i've asked said. But im not gonna complain about it. With your remark, i've checked to my side and notice i only have 1791mo free, and my system is using about 660mo leaving me with only approx 1go available. But i wonder, why there a 256mo reserved for the BIOS and hardware and what for having 895mo of graphic memory, dedicated 256mo and share system 639mo from nvidia system info.

As you said, 1.7.10 require more and futher version too, as by exemple i can run 1.8 fine with only 512mo, but when playing Dwarve vs Zombie, i can run out of RAM in about 30min leaving me with freeze/lagspike, but 1go i dont use half of it (strange) but getting OpenGl error out of memory after 1-2 game (Approx an hour of gameplay).

On my modpack, it run fine for now. NEI seem to be one of my problem, well it kill performance first, but with all the animation and else, that migth use alot of memory even if my RAM is not fully use. So far this what i have install:
craftGuide, enchanting+, ex astris/nihilo, extrautilities, fastcraft, forestry, inventorytweak, ironchest, jabba, littlemaidmobx and sfx, minefactoryreloaded, openblock, optifine,simplyjetpack, solarflux, supercrafthingframe, tconstruct, thermal expansion-dynamic-foundation, tictooltips, witchery and xaeros minimap.
I play for fun and normaly i dont do much crazy automation setup and such, so for now it only use about 50-55% (around 65% when going to the nether) out of 1go assigned. What would you recommend me for min/max and PermGem? Also for 1.8. (Just because the texture pack that come with the server add lot of sfx and 3d item model, by exemple like this:
7jvmSFR.png
)

In the way, i wish to upgrade or buy i new one, but it not possible atm. The pc i have is small sized and really compacted in it. I alway have this graphic card i can use, an asus en9400gt silent 512mo DDR2 with can fit, but the cooling from motherboard and gpu will be touching, with is bad. Unfortunatly vendor are not that much cooperative, i've asking something decent not too weak, not too strong with a budjet of 500-750$ and they kept recommand me stuff that cost over 1200$, not to mention tax, instalation and a new monitor as my other one stop working 2 week ago, urgg. That what they suggest me:
Intel CPU core i5-4690k 3.50Ghz, Kingston memory HyperX 8go DDR3, Radeon R9 280X 3go DDR5.
I think it be better to simply buy one from electronic shop and use that card for the moment and upgrade later.

Last edited:

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
With Java 1.8 there are only 2 jvm arguments that are really important:

Code:
-XX:+UseParNewGC -Xmx1024m

The parameters related to permgen no longer apply, -Xms might assist initial load "a bit" but is really not helpful. The above parameters enable the multi-core garbage collector (which you can omit if you are using a single core cpu), which keeps the tps stable, and the second defines the size available to the java heap - being memory that java applications can use.
Your ability to play Minecraft hinges on these two parameters, everything else is either unhelpful, or will squeeze out a tiny improvement.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I think i understands a bit better about it, still there some stuff a dont understands. I alway trough that RAM was not involve with this, from also what certain people i've asked said. But im not gonna complain about it. With your remark, i've checked to my side and notice i only have 1791mo free, and my system is using about 660mo leaving me with only approx 1go available. But i wonder, why there a 256mo reserved for the BIOS and hardware and what for having 895mo of graphic memory, dedicated 256mo and share system 639mo from nvidia system info.

That 256MB is dedicated to the built-in nVidia GPU, in the same fashion as the 512MB on your ASUS card... The prime differences are that instead of running the video ram separately it's "cheaper" to share the system ram, and doing so actually slows the CPU a bit since it has to give up control of the rest of the system so the GPU can doo it's tasks.

In the way, i wish to upgrade or buy i new one, but it not possible atm. The pc i have is small sized and really compacted in it. I alway have this graphic card i can use, an asus en9400gt silent 512mo DDR2 with can fit, but the cooling from motherboard and gpu will be touching, with is bad. Unfortunatly vendor are not that much cooperative, i've asking something decent not too weak, not too strong with a budjet of 500-750$ and they kept recommand me stuff that cost over 1200$, not to mention tax, instalation and a new monitor as my other one stop working 2 week ago, urgg. That what they suggest me:
Intel CPU core i5-4690k 3.50Ghz, Kingston memory HyperX 8go DDR3, Radeon R9 280X 3go DDR5.
I think it be better to simply buy one from electronic shop and use that card for the moment and upgrade later.

If those prices are in US dollars then they have quite a profit margin going there... Are you looking at having them do the work or are you buying the parts and installing them yourself? I personally refuse to pay someone with less experience than I have $50 to install 2 memory modules that I just paid $70 for.

Just for an example, my system (a couple of years old now): NOTE: I have been building my own hardware since 1976 (from scratch), assembling PC pieces since 1986.

$179 - ASUS Sabertooth 990FX mainboard v1.0
$225 - AMD FX8350 CPU @4GHz (4 dual-cores) (cheaper now)
$100 - 8GB Corsair DDR2-1666 Ram (definitely cheaper now)
$150 - 1TB Samsung Hard drive (definitely cheaper now)
$75 - PNY Geforce GT610 video card w/1024MB DDR3 ram
$200 - LG LCD 24" monitor (bought 5 yrs. ago, cheaper now)

In addition, you should be able to find an upgrade to Windows7 64-bit version for less than $75 these days, and then (If you wish) upgrade to Windows 10 for free until July 16 2016.

RitoruSuta

Jul 29, 2019
That 256MB is dedicated to the built-in nVidia GPU, in the same fashion as the 512MB on your ASUS card... The prime differences are that instead of running the video ram separately it's "cheaper" to share the system ram, and doing so actually slows the CPU a bit since it has to give up control of the rest of the system so the GPU can doo it's tasks.

If those prices are in US dollars then they have quite a profit margin going there... Are you looking at having them do the work or are you buying the parts and installing them yourself? I personally refuse to pay someone with less experience than I have $50 to install 2 memory modules that I just paid $70 for.

Just for an example, my system (a couple of years old now): NOTE: I have been building my own hardware since 1976 (from scratch), assembling PC pieces since 1986.

$179 - ASUS Sabertooth 990FX mainboard v1.0
$225 - AMD FX8350 CPU @4GHz (4 dual-cores) (cheaper now)
$100 - 8GB Corsair DDR2-1666 Ram (definitely cheaper now)
$150 - 1TB Samsung Hard drive (definitely cheaper now)
$75 - PNY Geforce GT610 video card w/1024MB DDR3 ram
$200 - LG LCD 24" monitor (bought 5 yrs. ago, cheaper now)

In addition, you should be able to find an upgrade to Windows7 64-bit version for less than $75 these days, and then (If you wish) upgrade to Windows 10 for free until July 16 2016.
Price is canadian dollard. The only thing i migth not know how to install would be the CPU, but the rest i can handle it. I've looked your piece on newegg and asked to the shop owner their price and here the best result i've got:

The price for the ASUS Sabertooth was about 300$, what they have suggested me was about 170$ (I forgot to ask with one), 250$ for the CPU, about the RAM, they said the 8gb Corsair DDR2 was incompatible on a DDR3 motherboard, with was over 250$ on NewEgg, they suggest me a HyperX Kingston 8go DDR3 for 65$. Graphic card for 55$ and hard drive for 110$. In total with a basic casing, cd player and power supply, is around 800$ without Tax and knowing and can maybe change the CPU for something cheaper too. I already have a copy of Window 7 premium family pack 32 and 64bit and i can find a monitor for less than 200$. So in the end with your help, price are more resonable, thank you.

Out of subjet, what your Opinion on window 10? Honestly i didnt like window 8 and idk about 10. Do you still need a microsoft acount to log in to your computer? and is it more easy acces than 8?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
!'ve run all the versions of windows in "Technical Preview" form since Vista... I do this because I'm an IT wonk and need to know the product, and also so I can try it out for free :D. I've seen steady improvement in every version since then, although sometimes the improvements weren't obvious, as with Vista's vastly improved internal security... Several Antivirus companies complained that they couldn't even scan the system files at that time :)

Windows 7 was like Vista after a major diet, running faster and hiding some of the more visible security "annoyances" such as UAC asking if you wanted to allow something to be written to disk every single time.

Windows 8 was a bit improved over Windows 7, but it's major flaws included making the touch screen more important than the Keyboard/Mouse community at a time when tablets weren't that prevalent, and removing a major piece of customization by limiting color availability. Windows 8 was a limited time free upgrade to those of us who tested the pre-release, and 8.1 was free to 8.0 owners.

Windows 10 is a mixed bag... I'm 57 and love it but my parents (early 80s) don't because it's too "different". A lot of people are leery of Microsoft's "Big Brother" practices and can't see the potential security benefits coming from them. I have yet to encounter software that doesn't run under Win10, although I'm sure I have a few DOS games laying around that could give it a run for the money. I also understand that there could be proprietary software in companies that would have issues and need rewriting.

Vista was about the hardest impact on system resources but Windows has been optimized a lot since then.

My next hardware upgrade will be a new ASUS Mainboard with DDR3 (unless DDR4 is common by then) and only USB 3.x ports, since you can run USB1 and USB2 devices in them. I've seen no reason to buy a new CPU yet.

Last edited:

RitoruSuta

Jul 29, 2019
First, Happy new year.

Im someone very simple and extra addition is what become complex and useless for me, by exemple with their window 8 and 10. The fact they want to look like window 10 smartphone and merging xbox stuff (i think?), also requiring you to have a microsoft account to log in your computer. Meh. In my childhood, i was most acustom with window xp and vista, so i think i stay to window 7 for now. Now thinking of it, younger i've add a decent pc gamer running on vista, i wonder if it was is fault that make my graphic card overheat and scraps it.

Anyway, as i said NEI was one of the issue about getting OpenGl out of memory, I've replaced it with CraftGuild. But i realize craftguild is not that good, cant fastcraft, missing so much usefull recipe like how to make certain metal,brew,mutation etc. and show certain item/recipe from other mod i dont even have. In the end i miss NEI and is a must have. So i decided to re test it and well, found some wierd logic to it.

First test with these mod added: NEI, CCC, InPureCore, NEI addons. 1go allocated. The game run smoth, no fps lag and choppy walking but console spam with OpenGl out of memory.

Second test, same mod and memory allocated, having google chrome open in the background (Had forgot to close it when i lauch minecraft). Fps jumping from 27 to 23 then 27 (It repeat) and it really choppy, frame freeze then jump but no error OpenGl out of memory.

So i dont understant this part. Having minecraft running along give stabe Fps but opengl error, while running minecraft and google chrome give lag but no opengl error. I can understands the lag as i had another program open in the background but what about opengl error?

I've set the allocated memory to 896mo and im not having opengl error anymore for the moment for the moment and run at 40fps. I hope it gonna stay that way. In a way i wish Codechicken change certain thing from is mod, by exemple being able to disable animation in the NEI and have a compacted version, instead of having like 100 wood type, there should be 1 and when you click on it, a hud open and show every type of wood. I know Inpurecore can compact and remove stuff from NEI, but unfortunatly i understand nothing in java coding.